Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Where is all the gear lube going? Found it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is all the gear lube going? Found it!

So, I've been having this odd problem where my transmission has been losing lube....but I could never figure out how. It was dry on the outside.
In the last week or so, it started to make a whine when I started it, cold in the morning.
I stopped by my local garage and had them stick it up on the lift to check the levels in the transmission and t-case. About a quart and a half low in the trans, about a quart and a half EXTRA in the t-case! I guess there is some kind of seal failure in between them, and the lube is being pushed backwards from one to the other.
It seems as though they both vent out through the shifter boots- is this correct? I thought maybe the trans vent was clogged and pressurizing the trans- is this possible?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I really don't want to have to drop it all to replace a seal in the middle, its 16* outside.

B.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:12 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Let's see here, 1.5 quarts low in the transmission and 1.5 overfull in the transfer case.

How did the 1.5 quarts get into the transfer case?

a)Your transmission output shaft seal is blown.

b)The transfer case input shaft seal is blown.

c)both

Why not because the vent is clogged?

I'm skeptical about the clogged vent theory, maybe so. But, regardless, unclogging it won't really fix the problem now. There's 2 vents, 1 for each FYI.

Either way you HAVE to remove the transfer case, sorry. That's the ONLY way to examine the 2 seals involved to be sure they're still good. You could check the transmission breather vent first to see if it's clogged. BUT, though that might be causing the issue, it isn't gonna help getting the oil out that's stuck in the air space cavity that exists between the transmission and transfer case. THE ONLY way to remove all the oil in there is to seperate the transfer case and transmission. And, you MUST remove the trapped oil from that small air space between them. Radial lip oil seals are not designed to seal well with oil on both sides of the sealing lip. There needs to be air on one side, hence there needs to be air ONLY in that chamber for both of those seals to work properly. So, even if both the seals are still good, which I doubt, they can't do you no good 'till you do that first.

Happy Trails!

Last edited by MudHippy; 12-23-2007 at 12:26 PM.