Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Whats the deal with toyota stock ring n pinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the deal with toyota stock ring n pinion

Is it just me or has anyone else had trouble with the stock gears breaking in there IFS diff's? I have broken my second ring gear. Does anyone know of someone who makes a stronger ring gear for thie IFS? I know I am ready for a SAS, but just wanted to know if anyone has had as much trouble as me. If so, it might help put my woman at ease since she seems to think I am a little hard on my runner.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't run IFS hard, but I can say that I've broken stock R&Ps when I allowed my axles to hop. If your suspension is hopping, it's massively hard on the driveline.

If you're keeping IFS, you cold see if you could get the stock gears cryo'd... Otherwise you're looking at doing SAS as you've mentioned.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:40 AM

havent personall broken rly anything thus far, but then again havent wheeled enough yet to say im lucky. have heard of the r&p's being somewhat of a weak link though. most certainly quote me to the wifey. hehehe.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by dijlop
havent personall broken rly anything thus far, but then again havent wheeled enough yet to say im lucky. have heard of the r&p's being somewhat of a weak link though. most certainly quote me to the wifey. hehehe.
???.........you don't have an ifs gear set to break.........lol

i've got stock 4.88's too. never had any issues. hope i didn't just jinx it!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like a bent houseing to me

most people grande a front CV long before the diff blows.....
Old 06-20-2007, 12:35 PM

My friend went through 2 on his IFS too, And he never wheeled it hardcore, I havent had probs with mine though, My friend is SAS'd now though
Old 06-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you ever going hard on the truck in reverse?
That might cause the problems... or so I have heard.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by snap-on

X2, who is setting up your gears, how are you breaking them?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bruzer
...just wanted to know if anyone has had as much trouble as me. If so, it might help put my woman at ease since she seems to think I am a little hard on my runner.
It took me all of about 6 months to figure out how to chew the ring and pinion gear gears out of a 7.5" differential. Those were the 4.10s I bought it with. Put another 4.10 r&p which lasted about 2 months. I'm now on my 3rd set of ring and pinion gears for the IFS. Swapped some 4.30s this time. They have held up MUCH better for whatever reason(I do have my theory), even chewed the side gears out with them and cracked a CV. They've got a small chip or 2 knocked off of 'em, not on the wear surfaces luckily, and are running just fine to this day. A YEAR later, TWICE as long as the longer lasting set of 4.10s.

I've always chalked it up to running big ass 35x12.5 tires. But, I'll take your word for it that you can do it with the 33s.

Just wanted to add I've broken ALL mine in a forward gear, never reverse. I think it's because the front gears are stronger in reverse, IIRC. And that I've never had a hint of trouble from my 8" in the rear. I've even "downgraded" to the 4cyl 2 pinion 3rd member (came from the factory with the 4.30s) which has been given as much abuse as I can muster.

Last edited by MudHippy; 06-21-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
How the...wha? There's no housing to bend. There's only 1 axle tube, and tucked away as it is, bending it would be VERY hard to do.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
How the...wha? There's no housing to bend. There's only 1 axle tube, and tucked away as it is, bending it would be VERY hard to do.
lol! that's what i was thinking!
Old 06-20-2007, 05:28 PM

Bent housing wouldn't be likely, the first housing was the factory set up with 4.56's. the second housing was set up by a guy that I really don't know with 4.88s and that unit/diff blew out the diff so the gears are still good in that one. The 3rd unit/diff was from a 95' with the factory 4.88s and the lasted about one wheel'n trip and one trip to the sand dunes.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:00 PM

I've never blown the front diff, it is stock with 4.56 gears. I have blown many rear diffs due to excessive power and "case spreading". I don't stay on the power when the front is spinning in the air though. At the dunes I have not noticed any times when the front is really loaded.

I have though about getting a supra rear and modifing it to work in the front end to get a 8". Or trying a LC100 diff because they are reverse rotation(highpinion) and take the same gears as the LC80 front diff. I have not gone this route yet because I have not had any failures, I feel I will loose a CV soon bu no noise yet.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I imagine that the breakage is due to the 7.5" ring size. It's not as strong as the 8".
Old 06-21-2007, 05:37 AM

Would the fact that it is a 3rd member style diff not make "bent housing" unheard of? The gears are sitting in a carrier so you can't have a flex situation like you would in say a chev axel where the housing is holding everthing in alignment. 3rd member is a cast member, don't think it could bend just break.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:50 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No locker in the front right? That dramatically increases the shock loading when the (inevitable) front tire looses contact.

My next guess would be the gear setup. As mentioned above, it's only a 7.5" ring gear - there's not a whole lot of beef there to absorb any installation issues.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Knock On Wood, my front diff takes the heat just fine, knocking again! 4.10 factory gears. Our old truck was a standard cab 90, and my step dad beat the s#!t out of it and never broke a diff. i dont know what you guys are doing to these things!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by tc
No locker in the front right? That dramatically increases the shock loading when the (inevitable) front tire looses contact.

My next guess would be the gear setup. As mentioned above, it's only a 7.5" ring gear - there's not a whole lot of beef there to absorb any installation issues.
No locker, open diff. As far as installation issue's, there yota gears so I don't think its a install issue.

Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
. i dont know what you guys are doing to these things!

Lots of rock crawling and dune running.

I am starting to think the gears don't like my 33x12.50's
Old 06-21-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by bruzer
No locker, open diff. As far as installation issue's, there yota gears so I don't think its a install issue.
Well, it's not like ya just slap 'em in there.....install is more important to strength than the parts themselves. Not that the gear iteslf isn't important.....

www.gearinstalls.com

Last edited by GV27; 06-21-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by GV27
Well, it's not like ya just slap 'em in there.....install is more important to strength than the parts themselves. Not that the gear iteslf isn't important.....

www.gearinstalls.com
I didn't just slap them in there, there the factory gears from when yota built the diff assembly. All factory, case has never been open to my knowledge.

Quick Reply: Whats the deal with toyota stock ring n pinion