Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What you can expect from insurance comanies (be prepared)

Old 12-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I've run this rabbit before and generally you are going to pay about $50 in premium for $1000 in coverage on a specialty vehicle like a rock crawler. Cheaper to get a big lock, some hidden kill switches and drive a new vehicle on-road that is less than 10 years old and easily fully insurable.

Glad you got your money but that is why my 85 4Runner and 85 ext cab will never see on-road again...strictly trailer queens and the F350 will be my dd.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Djlarroc
I agree, good job on fighting for your beliefs, but in all honesty, I don't think the lawsuit for a difference of premiums between liability & liability plus comp & collision would've been valid. If anything, if SF had a way to sell a policy w/the stated mods for an increased premium, you would've or should've been required to pay the difference in premium between a bone stock 4Runner and a 4Runner valued at x amount of dollars, since the day you insured your truck. Then received the additional monies in your claim. I've seen it happen many times w/many coverages where the insured swore they requested it, and the agent agreed it should've been added.

You paid premiums on a lower valued vehicle and got paid on a higher valued vehicle. IMO, SF took very good care of you, regardless of the fact you had to work for it. In the cut-throat world of the insurance, I think many companies would've told you "sorry, that' all we can offer".
They lied. None of what you said addresses the problem of, they said it was covered fully including all the mods, then they accepted my payments! If they cant cover it they they should have said that. They were in no right just or right.

I hate the mentality of "oh well thats just the way it is."

I shouldnt have to work for what Ive been paying for

State Farm chose to try to screw me.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4rnr
They lied. None of what you said addresses the problem of,..
I think this does: "The way insurance companies gather rates on vehicles alone is over the years, they calculate how much it is to repair a vehicle, then assign it a "IRG" or "Insurance Rating Group". My BMW has an IRG of 29, while my 4Runner has an IRG of 7. Naturally, the premiums on my BMW are higher. You can't expect to pay premiums on a lower value vehicle and if & when a claim occurs, be reimbursed on a higher value vehicle. It's not fair, even for insurance companies.

...If you poor cash into your rig, ask if there is a stated value floater, rider or endorsment and pay the extra cash for it. It's way worth it.
"

But, everyone has their opinions.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:13 PM

just another reason why, IMO, insurance is the biggest government mandated scam around. I pay these people in case s**t hits the fan and when it does you get the runaround and lowball offers. No bashing of anyone except the entire insurance system. Glad you made it through everything unscathed and could put it in the win column 4rnr
Old 12-19-2007, 07:27 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4rnr
They lied. None of what you said addresses the problem of, they said it was covered fully including all the mods, then they accepted my payments! If they cant cover it they they should have said that. They were in no right just or right.

State Farm chose to try to screw me.
Anything they tell you verbally is worth the paper it's written on. That's why it's critical that you READ your policy and if it's not what you want, pay for a stated value policy or a "modifications" rider.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
This is an interesting read on the website for a 4X4 shop that was near my house but moved. Being an agent maybe djlaroc can address the insurability of modified vehicles www.godmudders.com

The Truth About You And Your Love for Your Custom Vehicle
It's Coming To An End. Reading this may save you a bundle.

Godmudder's Custom Trucks Has spent over a half of a million in fighting unfair laws and ordinances that we face every day. When we first started this business, many years ago, the four wheel drive industry was going downhill due to unfair laws against the common pick-up truck. The owner Steven Schrader has taken on over 15 villages and the State of Illinois and has beaten them on every charge brought against him and his company. In the beginning he asked for assistance from the Specialty Equipment and Manufacturers Association (SEMA) and received no assistance. They claimed they could not help. The only help and assistance Mr. Schrader had is from the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration and United States Department of Transportation with documentation and Federal Law concerning the alteration and manufacturing of motor vehicles winning every case from equipment violations Mr. Schrader and many of his customers received. Mr. Schrader filed suit for damages. Upon this action Mr. Schrader had to take action and make arrangements to move his business and home to the State of Indiana to avoid the possibility of harm to his family from threatening phone calls from unknown sources, if the law suits were not retracted. Threats of harm to his family are not worth it any more. Now relocated in Indiana , the truth can be brought out.

If you have a legal problem with your modified truck, feel free to call Leland McNally at (312) 609 – 6490

What new hurdles do we now face? Are you insured or not?

It is another sad day in the custom vehicle industry. January 1 st of 2005 is a milestone for the insurance industry. We have had many calls and questions about, "what do I do now?" My custom car or truck is no longer insurable.

Yes it is true. AllState, Farm Bureau, State Farm, Geico and even Progressive insurance companies will no longer insure a modified vehicle.

Any motor or driveline modification that will increase performance or horsepower from the original manufacturers design will no longer be an insurable vehicle to be driven on the street

Any motor vehicle with a suspension modification to include a lift or lowering kit, sub frame, c-notch, frame modification or use of air or hydraulic suspension will no longer an insurable vehicle to be driven on the street.

This includes Street Rods, Muscle Cars, and Four Wheel drive trucks and SUV type vehicles.

This will not apply to an antique or collectable vehicle as long as it has been returned or restored to its original manufactured design.

This also includes companies that make these modifications. Many companies that make these modifications are not insured to do this. Companies that are not insured to do this may also be in violation of Federal laws for rendering a motor vehicle that was in service legally to no longer in service legally if it is still operated on the roads as modified.

Companies that would be permitted to make modifications for street use will be properly insured.

This would include a garage keeper liability and a product liability policy. Some larger companies are self insured through bonding.

Ask to see proof that the shop you are intending to use is insured and insured properly. If they are not and you are involved in an accident, it's you who will suffer.

Companies that are permitted to make the modifications will be regulated by the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration. You can go to NHTSA web site and look up manufacturers who are recognized and regulated to make the necessary modification you seek.

Don't lie to the agent that your car is stock to get insurance coverage. Insurance is the law in many states. If you don't tell them the truth, you are going to go down a very rough road.

All State has taken the stance to notify all the states authorities that require insurance, other than no fault, if they stop a vehicle that is modified, or a modified vehicle that is involved in an accident, that the modified vehicle in not insured under any terms according to their policies.

Guess what.

You just been had and will have to fight a ticket and fine for not having any insurance, you may also depending on the situation, lose your homeowners, health and medical insurance if it's through the same company.

Once again we have sent e-mails to (SEMA) informing them of the changes in the insurance industry that will affect the aftermarket automotive industry. We stated to (SEMA) that its time they take this threat for real, this will affect them also. -NO RESPONSE.

Take the time to check your policy and ask if you are really insured. Call your agent and get it in writing including the modifications you have. A simple, “you're covered” from your friendly insurance agent won't cut it in court.

If you do have a problem getting insurance, contact (SEMA). Ask them what they are going to do. You paid good hard earned money to get your car or truck looking cool. This money was paid to companies that SEMA supports and promotes. If these products are that good, why can't we get insurance coverage with these parts on our vehicles?

It's time for the truth. No more lame excuses of check with your local authorities or for off road use only on the box. If it's not good enough to be safe, stop making it, or keep it off the road. Statistics have proven that percentage-wise more modified vehicles are in accidents than any other. This is why we may all suffer now. I have seen some of the worst products in the world, poor fitment to poor quality or both. Now you add an aggressive or in experienced driver to the mix.

Godmudder's Custom Trucks is proud to say there has never been a claim against our company for poor quality products or workmanship since we have been in business. We plan to keep it that way. It is you, the customer, who is number one to us when it comes to safety.

Please drive safely. Our cemeteries are full of heroes, don't try to be one.

GODMUDDERS is temporarily closed
Old 12-19-2007, 07:50 PM

Hmmm I dont know if I buy that. I had experience with godmudders and they are the most pathetic excuse for a 4x4 shop i could possibly dream up and am glad they left my area so i dont have to see their chromed out garbage every time i drive down ridgeland.

However, reading that makes me wonder why people want a larger gov't! I just want them to stay out of my car, home, gun safe, health care, retirement.....rant off
Old 12-19-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
LOL I never had any experience with them but was worried about what was on their site being true. Hoping DJ can chime in on that one.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Well from what I gather from your post, I agree that it's NOT fair we can't insure our modded vehicles.

I see 2 problems here.

The first is liability. Who does it fall on? Does it fall on the manufacturer of the custom parts? The driver? Or the insurer? Did the accident happen due to the negligence of the manufacturer? Should the liability fall on the possibly inexperienced or reckless driver? Or should it fall on the insurance company who insured the vehicle?

The second is cost. Is it a profitable business for an insurance company to take on all those risks? and how do they asses and charge accordingly for those risks? Who's to say a rockcrawler is more dangerous than a drifting street car, or a 500 HP drag racer? I've had all 3, and I can't tell you.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:38 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trick is to buy special insurance...

This is how come we can insure our corvette as its highly modified, reg companies wanted bukoo for it, we went with a special pleasure car insurance thing and pay next to nothing.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I've run this rabbit before and generally you are going to pay about $50 in premium for $1000 in coverage on a specialty vehicle like a rock crawler. Cheaper to get a big lock, some hidden kill switches and drive a new vehicle on-road that is less than 10 years old and easily fully insurable.

Glad you got your money but that is why my 85 4Runner and 85 ext cab will never see on-road again...strictly trailer queens and the F350 will be my dd.

Is that $50/year for $1000 in coverage?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Well from what I gather from your post, I agree that it's NOT fair we can't insure our modded vehicles.

I see 2 problems here.

The first is liability. Who does it fall on? Does it fall on the manufacturer of the custom parts? The driver? Or the insurer? Did the accident happen due to the negligence of the manufacturer? Should the liability fall on the possibly inexperienced or reckless driver? Or should it fall on the insurance company who insured the vehicle?

The second is cost. Is it a profitable business for an insurance company to take on all those risks? and how do they asses and charge accordingly for those risks? Who's to say a rockcrawler is more dangerous than a drifting street car, or a 500 HP drag racer? I've had all 3, and I can't tell you.
I agree. And that is why I asked them so many times if I am insured. They always said yes. If I wasnt I would have gone somewhere else.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didnt read the whole thread, but my insurance company looked at my truck after i rolled it, and they said "fix it!" with 5000 damage... and it's an 89... the guy was like... i dont want to know what those wheels are worth.. lol (liek i wouldnt take them off if he totaled it)
Old 12-20-2007, 10:45 AM

Djlarroc, are you saying that it's true that a modded vehicle cannot be insured legally? I could not gather from your post whether or not you viewed the info. as true. I knew nothing about this and have made modifications to every vehicle I have owned, which according to this would have made them uninsurable. If I were to have gone to court for an accident in these vehicles and someone found out about the mods, would it have been deemed that I did not have insurance on the vehicle? Kinda scary if this is the case.

Chris
Old 12-20-2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
I didnt read the whole thread, but my insurance company looked at my truck after i rolled it, and they said "fix it!" with 5000 damage... and it's an 89... the guy was like... i dont want to know what those wheels are worth.. lol (liek i wouldnt take them off if he totaled it)
Are those street locks? (aka fake beadlocks) is so wow good job of fooling him.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by liferunner2
Djlarroc, are you saying that it's true that a modded vehicle cannot be insured legally? I could not gather from your post whether or not you viewed the info. as true. I knew nothing about this and have made modifications to every vehicle I have owned, which according to this would have made them uninsurable. If I were to have gone to court for an accident in these vehicles and someone found out about the mods, would it have been deemed that I did not have insurance on the vehicle? Kinda scary if this is the case.

Chris
Hey Chris, don't freak out man. What I'm saying and what I think is, that modded vehicles can indeed be insured. If you were to cause an accident, your liability would still pay for the other persons damages (which IMO is the most important part). Where the confusion could be is how much would you be getting for your vehicle? If you were paying premium on a lesser valued vehicle, there is a chance, you would not receive what you were expecting.

I agree, some type of specialty insurance is available and may offer more in return as far as a claim goes, but in a lot of cases these policies have restrictions on the vehicle usage. Most of them, have a "limited use" or "short mileage restriction". Many daily drivers would not qualify for this type of insurance. Like tc has said twice, and I can't stress it enough. READ YOUR POLICY. Don't just toss it in your glove box. A lot of this "stating" and "hear say" can end up costing you big time.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:53 PM

some great reading in this thread. thanks 4rnr.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:10 PM

I bought my truck lifted, bigger tires etc...etc...when i took it down so they could look it over, my agent said they might not be able to insure it. She took pictures of my 4Runner, she took pictures of everything! front suspension, my traction bars, she said she was going to send it in and see what "they" say. I'm guessing corporate office? anyway she called back couple hours later and said they could insure it.

So basically SF does insure modified vehicles....or does having been with them for almost 20yrs have anything to do with it.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:15 PM

at least you guys dont have ICBC... the government sanctioned ers... we dont even have a choice! and they have people convinced here that if you total your car they get to keep it, by making you sign a salvage and release form , and not telling them what it means. now its just accepted here that they get to take everything and you dont see it again. its really lame.

bryan
Old 01-16-2008, 12:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
.... thread above this.. mine is another read on an accident and insurance what have you.. tho im not this far into the battle w/ insurance as 4rnr got.

I have to CLEAR something up here tho. Why is your insurance have anything to do w/ this? If the dude cut you off (merged) its his fault and so HIS insurance should deal w/ this at which case they have to fix EVERYTHING that got messed up w/ your vehicle regardless of mods.

which is how my case is. i wasnt at fault, so his insurance is paying for everything that was damaged.

Why would you insure your truck anyways? That seems like a big waste of $. All I count on is people hitting me. If I hit someone then my liability insurance kicks in and fixes their car/truck whatever while im left w/ a broken truck and that is OK w/ me regardless of the $ I put into it because I was a dumbbutt... If the accident is ruled my fault and its not really my fault (a typical scam) Im prepared to go to court to battle it out.

I was T-boned 4 yrs ago and it was ruled my fault by law. (I even got ticketed) That vehicle had full coverage so we didnt battle it. It was cheaper to eat the rate increase than battle it in court, especially since the old lady that T-boned me settled the case w/out sueing us.. she had her insurance cover the rest of the costs that ours didnt because she KNEW she was actually ... albeit not legally... responsible for the crash. ... A RARE situation but good people DO EXIST. ... The fact hat our insurance didnt cover all of the costs was bullcrap no doubt (looong story) but we got off because like i said, the other parties insurance covered it so we let it go and didnt ask anymore questions. The accident has since dropped from my record and my insurance costs are back to normal.

BE PERSISTENT. Your only talking to people doing their jobs and they're instructed and probably imbursed on how much $ they can save for their company but they REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT YOU!!!! .. I work in retail and trust me i REAAAALLLY DONT CARE about my customers. Majority are rich buttholes with rude attitudes and i DONT see any $ benefit for being extra nice. Doesnt reality suck? but likewise insurance agents dont know you, dont care about you, they're doing their job for their own selfish reasons like the rest of us.

*** I use Farmers Insurance. My family all uses the same policy and agent.

Last edited by drew303; 01-16-2008 at 12:28 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What you can expect from insurance comanies (be prepared)