Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what is the green sensor next to the oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the green sensor next to the oil filter?

my wire came out of this sensor and i was curious what the sensor was it on the firewall side next to the oil filter, it is green with a green connector.. any info is greatly appreciated.. it is on a 90 pu with a 22re
Old 08-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It might be the knock sensor.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Sounds like the oil pressure sender

Any pics?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
Sounds like the oil pressure sender

Any pics?
That`s true, a wasn`t even thinking about that.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 PM

Pics?

Sounds like an oil pressure sender. if you remove the sensor and oil comes out of the hole then it is.

The knock sensor is located on the block slightly above the oil filter, to the left (towards the rear). It's kinda hard to see hiding under the intake.

Last edited by 92yotarunner; 08-04-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:03 PM

i will get pix tommrrow.. i was thinking you guys might know what it was by the description... im pretty sure the hole it screws into is solid no oil gailes but like i said ill get some pix up in the morning so ill know.. could this sensor cause it not to crank? i just did a head gasket job on it and the end came off the sensor plug and it wont start thats the main reason i ask but i was going to fix it anyways though.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sorry I forgot who originally posted this photo. It's from a photobucket album belonging to "erik250". Anyway, thanks, whoever you are(!)

The knock sensor is above and to the left of the oil filter, circled in orange. The oil pressure sender is directly below the filter.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:29 PM

It is the knock sensor the oil sender is below the filter and has a different plug
Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 AM

thanx for the pix. will the knock sensor cause the motor not to crank?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by xalier
thanx for the pix. will the knock sensor cause the motor not to crank?
No.

Is your motor not cranking? If you give us details about what it's doing/not doing and tell us what you've checked or replaced, we might be able to help you with it. (Hint.)
Old 08-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Since you knocked off that sensor wire, you may have also knocked loose the small wire connected to the starter solenoid. This would prevent the motor from cranking.

Not cranking - assumes the starter motor is not engaging and not turning the engine over.

Not starting - assumes the starter motor is turning over the engine, but it is not starting.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:30 AM

lol well i guess let me make myself more clear its not starting... i had a blown head gasket, had the head shaved and totally rebuilt.. its acting like its out of timing but i check in 3 different times. pulled #1 plug and spun the motor till it blew my find then i kept rotating the motor till the 0 lined up with the notch on the crank pulley pulled the dist cap and it was dead in the middle of #1 firing pad so im kinda lost.. im thinkinig it might be 180* out i have had this happen to my mustang a few times.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:41 AM

i just checked it again and its still pulling number 1 up right where it should be... i moved the dist a tooth to see if it will have any more potential..
Old 08-06-2010, 08:18 AM

Once you get your cam and spark timing set correctly (see the factory manual for the proper procedures on those), if it still doesn't start, here are some ideas:

First check for codes - that may point to the trouble right there.

Also check your engine grounds - see this great post from bleeder: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-guide-194413/

If no codes and the grounds are good, these posts may help:

https://www.yotatech.com/51127605-post14.html
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51134917
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51266212
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...49#post2898149
Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 AM

well i checked all the timing once agian everything is correct.. i checked all the grounds in that thread they are all hooked up.. its getting fuel and it is firing... it trys to start but wont.. ive walked the dist back and forth teeth wise and while im cranking it.. ill get a back fire every now and again.. im about ready to just burn it
Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by xalier
well i checked all the timing once agian everything is correct.. i checked all the grounds in that thread they are all hooked up.. its getting fuel and it is firing... it trys to start but wont.. ive walked the dist back and forth teeth wise and while im cranking it.. ill get a back fire every now and again.. im about ready to just burn it
What do you mean "it tries to start"? Describe what's happening.

The compression is good on all cyls?

You say "it's getting fuel" - do you mean you've verified that there is fuel pressure? How?

How about the injectors - are they firing? The easiest way to check is with a mechanics stethoscope which is cheap & available at most parts stores - if they're firing, the clicks will be loud and clear.

Are you getting spark?

I would verify that the spark plug wires are connected correctly - that could be your trouble.

If you have compression and fuel pressure and the injectors are firing and there is spark and it's still not starting, then I would take a fresh look at timing. And as mentioned, I would follow exactly the procedure in the factory manual for setting the timing.

There are only a finite number of things that can be wrong. If you follow the troubleshooting steps and check things one by one, you will eventually find the trouble, so hang in there.

Last edited by sb5walker; 08-06-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 AM

it will turn over 5-7 seconds and itll start to hit and try to start but then doesn't just keeps turning over keeps doing it over and over... i havn't checked the compression i just built the motor 2 years ago and prolly doesn't have 10k on it. it ran hot and popped a head gasket.. im assuming the injectors are firing the plugs got fouled out and i cleaned them and put the back in. i checked the firing while i had #1 plug out to double checking that i was on TDC i held the plug to the head to ground it out and it had a big nice spark even with it being moist with gas.. i have the wires 1-3-4-2 thats what the manual said.

Last edited by xalier; 08-06-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 AM

Some timing threads that may be worth a look:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801262
http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...gine-help.html
http://media.photobucket.com/image/2...ech/chainc.jpg
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=256648
Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 PM

i read all the threads in the post ealier... i just feel like its a timing issue, but everything seems to add up... i lined the dots up and put the white link on the chain on the dot, and wrap it tight on the drivers side and let the tensioner take the slack out. i pull #1 plug and hold my finger over it while spinning the crank till it starts blowing my finger and you can hear it very clear like it has great compression also and the timing mark will be around 1inch from 0 on the timing cover when it starts to make good compression. so ill move it over till it lines up with 0 and you can feel its over the lobes and free in way. I stick a screw driver in the plug hole every time to make sure the piston is up and every time its right in there, very close. i just really dont know anything else to do.. im affraid im going to end up blowing my new head gasket while im troubleshooting it.. i doubt a video would do any good in helping me?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 PM

I think a video always helps, give us the actual sound etc..

Quick Reply: what is the green sensor next to the oil filter?