Sponsored by: DashLynx

What donor to look for to make this swap have as little hurdles as possible

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
What donor to look for to make this swap have as little hurdles as possible

Good afternoon YotaTechies.

I have decided to swap my 3.0 for a 3.4

The vehicle I have is a 1990 8254A (as printed on original bill of sale from dealership)
X-cab DLX
V6
2WD
5 SPD
R150 Trans

My question is, what donor should I be looking for that will throw me for AS LITTLE loops as possible.
Will a 4x4 donor have minor problems matching up with a 4x2 as far as ECU is concerned? or is it just a matter of having a donor with manual ECU. Can an automatic donor and ecu work in my 5spd if things are wired properly or do I HAVE to have a manual ECU? Am i able to use my 3.0 ECU if rewired properly or does the ECU HAVE to be from a 3.4 Will the closer the year to mine or a certain year donor be more compatible with my 1990 than others? Any and all thoughts are much appreciated. Somebody please lay this out straight for me so that I can purchase a donor and get this thing back on the road as soon as possible.

On your marks
Get set
Go

Last edited by dh12791; 05-22-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:03 PM

bueller......
Old 05-23-2017, 09:29 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Waiting little over 2hrs for a response is a bit unreasonable.
The information you are asking for gives me the impression you are in over your head for trying to do one of the most common engine swaps on this site. That said, all the information you are requesting is outlined all over this site and the interwebs...but I will try to summarize for you.

what donor should I be looking for that will throw me for AS LITTLE loops as possible. The exact same spec vehicle you are swapping this enigne into...2wd, r150...
Will a 4x4 donor have minor problems matching up with a 4x2 as far as ECU is concerned? Yes, but they are minor....4wd vs 2wd
or is it just a matter of having a donor with manual ECU. Can an automatic donor and ecu work in my 5spd if things are wired properly or do I HAVE to have a manual ECU? No idea, but the 3.0 ECU doesn't care if you disconnect the ECT as I did for my trans swap. However, I bet the 3.4 ECU is way more finicky, but I have no first hand experience.
Am i able to use my 3.0 ECU if rewired properly, Not that I am aware of due to DOHC and crank position sensor and/or camshaft position sensors
or does the ECU HAVE to be from a 3.4 ...See above
Will the closer the year to mine or a certain year donor be more compatible with my 1990 than others? No idea as i have not done a 3.4 swap myself, but read many threads here that have and i do not recall a desired year over other years.

You should know also that the 3VZ and 5VZ share the same engine block, oil pans are swappable given the oil pickup and windage is used for the desired oil pan.

Do more research, while this is probably the easiest swap to preform no swap is without its hurdles and unexpected issues..
Old 05-23-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>Can an automatic donor and ecu work in my 5spd if things are wired properly or do I HAVE to have a manual ECU?

I am going to guess that anything after 1996 (aka ODBII rules) will not "work" with the wrong transmission type
So get a manual ECU to run a manual trans

>> Am i able to use my 3.0 ECU if rewired properly

highly highly unlikely. If you knew how to, you wouldn't ask the question.
Given the EFI look up tables, this isnt easy to do.
Its alsmost easier to go "aftermakret" stand alone EFI - but then you run into emissions inspection issues (which may or may not be relevant you your situation)
Old 05-23-2017, 12:19 PM

Hey RBX, Thanks for the reply. Haha I guess that was a little unreasonable i think i was more concentrate on how many views it got rather than time. Ill tell ya, it felt like YEARS not hours

I assure you it is my first motor swap and the first time I am getting into a car but I am a seasoned small engine mechanic, or so i like to think.
I guess what Im most concerned about is having a donor that was also rear wheel drive seeing as they are a little harder to come across or so it seems. Maybe i just havent looked enough yet.
As far as the minor road bumps between 4x4 and 4x2 donor do you have any experience with what exactly those problems would be if i were to get a 4x4 donor for my 4x2?
Also, what do you mean when you say the 3.0 doesnt care if you disconnect the ECT? sorry if thats a stupid question.
and as far as the oil pan and things like that go I have my 3.0 out and torn apart so I have whatever parts I will need ready to roll. Was looking at threads on using my 3.0 cross over pipe to reuse and fab up to the 3.4

ewong, Thanks for the reply

I had a feeling that it would be very unlikely to use the 3.0 ECU good to hear other people agree though.
And can you elaborate on "aftermarket" thand alone EFI as this might be an option for me because Im in New Jersey and no inspection is required for my vehicle.

Keep the insight comin boys!......and girls!
Old 05-23-2017, 01:16 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
ECT or transmission computer, like ECU for transmission.

4x4 to 4x2 I have no first hand experience but...
get wire schematics and compare the two systems to see if the absence of the auto-locking hubs or transfer case position effects the ECU.

Google stand-alone ECU.