Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What to do about extra parts after BudBuilt Crossmember installation?

Old 05-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What to do about extra parts after BudBuilt Crossmember installation?

So, the crossmember is painted and installed. The skid is in place. But, it's coming off this weekend to get some paint as well. While installing all this I developed a few questions.

1. I can only assume that the Toyota engineers had a purpose for this thing they call the "Dynamic Damper" (sounds kinda like a super hero?)

It used to go right here

It doesn't fit in the stock position with the new crossmember on. I saw that someone had done a one bolt re-mounting of it. What will or won't happen if I leave it off the transfer case?

2. The double cardon joint was born with a shield wrapping under

and over it

The bottom won't fit with the crossmember on. So, should I also remove the top piece? It looks like it will come off pretty easily. Again, what were the engineers trying to achieve with these covers. Am I ok without them?

3. I got one of those nifty low profile drain plugs for the transfer case. I'm not sure why it is necessary. But, it's sure cool. Will this plug work in other applications on the truck . . . . like transfer case fill or differential plugs? I like the 10 mm allen socket much better than the very thin bolt pattern.

Last edited by Snorkeldepth; 05-12-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:38 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The damper still fit on mine. Same question about the cardan cover though. In Buds's pix it is taken off.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the cardon cover is a grease catcher, throw it away! mines's been off for the last 25k miles.

does anyone have a picture of there skid plate on the crossmember, mulitple angles please!
Old 05-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
The damper still fits on mine. Same question about the cardan cover though. In Buds's pix it is taken off.
Here's how my holes line up on the damper . . . . not.

If I need the damper then I'll need to either shave off the bottom of it or modify the bracket so that it's raised up enough to clear the crossmember. Either way it's providing some effect although not the original effect. Any other ideas?

Do you think it's a comfort thing (i.e. reduces vibration for a sweeter ride) or a durability thing (i.e. reduces vibration for less wear on the tranfer case). It would be great if I didn't need it at all.

Anybody have an idea about whether the cardan cover is anything more than a dust shield/grease catcher? Shiftless, did you remove the top of the cover too??

As soon as the paint is dry on the skid I'll post photos of it installed from all angles.

Last edited by Snorkeldepth; 05-13-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I removed the cover completely and the dampner too. the dampner is designed to reduce high frequency vibrations for comfort, the cover IS a "dust shield/grease catcher". Removing them both completelty will have no negative affects on your rig, other than dropping a couple of pounds. . Hang on to them, ocasionally someone wants to buy them!
Old 05-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks! Off they come! I'm sure it won't come close to the feeling of my buddy's baja bug in high school after he switched to a solid transmission mount.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Man, I have to say that after I pulled the top of the cover off it seems like it's purpose was more to prevent chunks of disintegrated cardan joint from penetrating the passenger compartment and tearing up the flesh of the occupants than simply catching grease and preventing dust intrusion. That's the beefiest chunk of dust cover I've ever seen on a vehicle! Aw heck, it must just be a Toyota thing.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Installation complete!

Old 05-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
now its time to go gouge it on some rocks
Old 05-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

First, I need to get that IFS truss installed. Then, it's time to go a thrashin'!

Here's a picture of the naked cardan joint