YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   What are the chances of cracking a 22re block? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/what-chances-cracking-22re-block-100595/)

deathrunner 11-29-2006 08:32 AM

What are the chances of cracking a 22re block?

We found oil in my coolant. This is only 400 miles after a rebuild. BRAND NEW head, completely re machined block. The head has been pressure checked and probed twice now and was said to be free from defect.

HOw can oil be getting into my coolant?

Only two things I can think of are:

A) There is residual oil leftover from when I blew the head gasket

or...

B) There is a crack in the block, but everyone I have spoken to has pointed out that they have never seen a 22re get cracked. And my sources have decades of Toyota experience.

What do you guys think?

Yota82 11-29-2006 08:53 AM

I have only seen a 22RE block crack once. It is pretty rare. Most of the time when you are getting coolant in the oil it is because the timing chain wore through the timing cover. Or the new hg is not sealing properly.

waskillywabbit 11-29-2006 09:05 AM

You have an engine gremlin. :hillbill:

Never heard of one cracking or read about one either. Keep the thread updated as to what you find out.

Good luck.

:guitar:

amgraham 11-29-2006 09:28 AM

Yeah, since it is so new I would check to make sure the timing cover is sealed right (or not worn out if you didn't replace it) and second if the HG didn't seal right.

Does it run fine otherwise?

dcg9381 11-29-2006 10:12 AM

I've seen a 22R crack.. Supercharged application. You wouldn't find that crack in a million years with your eyes.

Run a leak down test on each cylinder.

surf4runner 11-29-2006 03:14 PM

if its residual, flush and recheck. should not return.

if the head wasnt properly torqued initially, that could allow seepage and/or warping

fthertime666 11-29-2006 04:39 PM

22re block dont crack. They dont make enuf power to break em. Part of the reliability factor. Plus there just relly freakin strong, good metallurgy and stuff.
My advice is re-torque the headbolts. my 2Cents

deathrunner 12-01-2006 07:51 AM

Should be running soon. I'm hoping the gasket jsut wasn't sealing well. We'll see.

deathrunner 12-04-2006 09:47 AM

Ok, here's the news.

It's back together. We topped the fluids at the shop before I left.

I have put about 150 miles on it. I check the oil cap.....a bit of milkshake in the cap. Check the coolant resevoir....empty. Check the NEW 3 core radiator. The coolant is 2 inches lower than where it chould be. There are a few drops of oil in the coolant....could still be residual, but not much.

It appears that I am losing my coolant somewhere. I highly highly doubt it is the head or head gasket. The head has been checked 2 times now. It has been straight edged as well as the block surface. We're usinng Toyota gaskets and it's the most qualified Toyota mechanic I know of.

How am I losing this coolant?

trythis 12-04-2006 07:43 PM

have your coolant system pressure tested, (do they do that?) I bet they find it then.

surf4runner 12-05-2006 12:39 PM

did you replace any/all hoses? ive read stories about people having small leaks in the hoses, say around a manifold, that was tricky to find since the leaks never left any spots on the ground.

deathrunner 12-27-2006 09:02 PM

All hoses were replaced.

I think we figured it out.

The guy before me installed a cheap timing chain, which loosened. I had it changed long ago for a yota one. The front cover was scored deeply by the chain, btu all seemed well.

They replaced my front cover on a hunch and all seems good. Makes sense as the score marks were right at the main water port.