Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What battery for a truck that sits too much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What battery for a truck that sits too much?

Hi all
I'm in need of a new battery for my 86 4runner. I don't get too drive it much so it spends a lot of time sitting in the driveway. I hate having to jump it on the times I do get to take it out. I would actually have it out a lot more if it didn't require jumping.

Is there any battery would benefit me in this case or will pretty much all batteries slowly drain when sitting, or do some drain slower than others.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeguy18974
Hi all
I'm in need of a new battery for my 86 4runner. I don't get too drive it much so it spends a lot of time sitting in the driveway. I hate having to jump it on the times I do get to take it out. I would actually have it out a lot more if it didn't require jumping.

Is there any battery would benefit me in this case or will pretty much all batteries slowly drain when sitting, or do some drain slower than others.

Thanks
I think there are battery conditioners/chargers you can get that will keep it nice an charged if just sitting around. Do you unhook your battery from the truck when its just sitting? How long does it sit for?
Old 09-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i would buy a battery maintainer
Old 09-18-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only drive my truck a couple times a week so I installed a cut-off switch in the cab so nothing drains on the battery.

Rob
Old 09-18-2006, 07:51 AM

i second the cutoff switch in the cab. hella makes a decent one, but it will get messed up if it is installed outside the cabin.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:58 AM

Sometimes it sits for weeks at a time. I don't want to use a battery charger/conditioner because its outside and would mean having an extension cord setup 24/7 through my dining-kitchen-backyard then to exposed truck.

I'll have to look into a cutoff switch. I was just hoping that maybe a deep cycle battery would benefit in this area as well as large sustained loads.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

I have actually seen a solar powered trickle charger for your battery, we had one a mercedes 190E 16v racecar....It worked pretty well. ...
Old 09-18-2006, 09:14 AM

I would think an Optima would hold a charge longer, awfully pricey though. Are you actually saying that for the 2 minutes it takes to jump the truck you just don't drive it? How about one of the jump boxes, then you wouldn't need a second vehicle to jump it.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Optima's are pricey and hold a charge longer with things rtunning, so it would stand to theory that sitting they will hold a charge longer also...
I dont think he is not driving it becaus it has to be jumped...I think it has to be jumped because he is not driving it very often.
a jump box would be handy bikeguy....
Old 09-18-2006, 09:35 AM

If you go optima, don't get a red top. They don't last long if they're not used all the time. I went through 3 of them before I switched to a yellow top, thank god for Costco's return policy.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by pat161
Are you actually saying that for the 2 minutes it takes to jump the truck you just don't drive it? How about one of the jump boxes, then you wouldn't need a second vehicle to jump it.
Actually yeah, there are times when I don't drive it because its dead. Sometimes I have to have my neighbor move her car to get my other car in to jump it. Or sometimes I'm just too lazy and if don't need the truck then I take the car.

A jump box may work, but I need a new battery anyway, so I thought maybe I'd put out the $$$ for a deep cycle.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mikestang
If you go optima, don't get a red top. They don't last long if they're not used all the time. I went through 3 of them before I switched to a yellow top, thank god for Costco's return policy.
It sounds like the yellow top is working in your not all used all the time apllication. If so I may just try it.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
A yellow top is a deep cycle battery so would stand up to being deeply discharged and recharged better than a regular starting battery. I have one of those solar battery chargers, leave it on the dash and wired to the battery and it'll keep things topped off assuming no big current drains. You should check how much current your truck is pulling while sitting. Put an ammeter between the battery post and cable and see what it reads. Should be in the 20mA (0.020 amps) range on a modern vehicle. Get up into the 50mA range and you can drain a battery in 2-4 weeks. You can also get one of those battery minder gadgets. They attach between the positive post and battery cable and cut things off if the battery voltage drops too low.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
roger,

do you have a product link for your solar battery charger?

bob
Old 09-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.siliconsolar.com/shop/cat...ger-p-139.html
This is the one we had, and we have the same one on our pontoon boat.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:14 AM

lead-acid batteries like to be trickled. I'd get a little solar charger-maintainer.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:24 AM
CJM

In my vette which dont run during the winter and during anything but clear sunshine I ran a diehard battery that had a little remote that you could power it down. Worked really well, but later foundout it was recalled b/c it fried part of the electrical system. Talk about crazy, I spent a ton of cash on everything b/c it caused the fan relay to shut off.

Anyway, now I just run a regular old ac delco and have a charger from sears. I let it sit all winter than charged it right back up and she fired up after alittle coaxing. My point is if you charged it even 1x a month or every 3 months for a full charge and let it sit it will be fine.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Consumer reports just came out with a new car battery report; the WalMart Everstart Maxx-1N came in tops. Price is RIGHT at only $68. Make sure your alternator is working right or NO battery will stay charged.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:39 PM

Battery cutoff switch for the win. And that's my final answer Regis...

try this link:

link

If that doesn't work go to JC Whitney and search for battery cutoff and you'll see it. I've see them a little cheaper than that, but that gives you the idea.

Or you could figure out what's draining it and fix it or unhook it, which I'd do anyway.

As a last resort, I like the solar trickle charger idea.

A deep cycle battery will last longer sitting, but you can only squeeze so much water out of a stone.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:01 PM

I leave my 25 year old lawn mower out in a shed all winter with teh battery disconnected. It starts every summer. It I don't disconnect, it is Dead withint a week, so I say get with a disconnect.

Quick Reply: What battery for a truck that sits too much?