86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Warning Turn Signal Flasher Location?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning Turn Signal Flasher Location?

I picked up a set of old smittybilt, double tube style bumpers for my lil' lady's '93 Toyota. Got 'em off craigslist, came off a rig a guy was parting out. Same generation as my lil' lady's, so I assumed it would be a direct fit. Had 'em powdercoated and started mounting them. Should have known better.

The front bumper isn't mounting at the correct angle. It's actually 1 deg. off from the fender lines but that's another problem altogether. I got it mounted but had to lower it on the bracket. That's when I realized there was no mounting for the factory blinkers on the smittybilt bumper.

I have already force mounted and trimed the lower valance panel to the bottom of the bumper, so I figured I'd get some Amber LED blinkers and mount them on the lower valance panel.

Obviously, that means I had to also replace the hard/turn signal flasher for the LED/Incandescent flasher unit.

I looked in my Haynes manual (pos) and it said the flasher is located between the heater control and the stereo. I've got the whole lower dash completely torn apart now and I still can't find the flasher. I searched some forums and google and teh only thing I could find said the flasher was actually on top/behind the fuse panel but I think that was on a 4th gen model, not a 5th but I can't be sure as Yota isn't really my thing and I actually had to look it up to verify that her '93 is a 5th gen.

So the obvious question... where the hell is the turn signal flasher located on this '93 Toyota Pickup? Please help! Pics would be worth 1000 words if possible... but even a verified location description should get me on the right track.

Sorry for the long story. Wasn't sure what info would be relevant or requested to get the info I'm after, so I gave the whole story, to date.
I'm a Ford Bronco guy. Pretty sure the lil' lady's Toyota hates my guts, no matter how much love I've tried to give it over the last few years.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:16 PM

while I'm at it... here's a link to the flasher unit I purchased after driving around for a few hours and checking every parts store I could find. AutoZone finally came up with the one I needed but didn't have any LED's to work with it. Of course. http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a...0_642247_11714

Here's the LED Blinkers I picked up off superbrightleds.com to secure to the lower valance: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more.../Photos&Videos

And everybody loves pics on forums... so here's a few pics of the front bumper installed:

Old 06-26-2017, 08:04 PM

nobody? something I did/said or is this just a slower forum than I'm used too?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It should be in the fuse box behind the kick panel in the drivers side. I think on your generation of truck you can see part of the fuse box but need to remove the cover to access it.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:47 AM

I was able to find this, over-simplified diagram:

here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ersion-276322/
which links here: http://www.ether3al.com/93fsm-mobile/

I can only assume the flasher in question is identified as "(CANADA) DRL Relay No.4" in the image display but later referenced in the schematic diagram as a simple, 3 prong "Turn Signal Flasher".
I wanted to be sure because the kick-panel is already removed and the flasher isn't obviously visible, so I'll have to further disassemble the hood latch from the lower dash to get it completely out of the way and hopefully be able to find it in the back without pulling out the whole fuse box. The dash plastic is already quite brittle from years of heat running through the dash in our PNW winters. Didn't help that the HAYNES manual gave a completely bogus location without any pics or details to note and that lead to me pulling the whole lower dash apart from one side to the other.

I'll dig deeper into that spot tomorrow afternoon. I'll be sure to report back and maybe even get some updated pics, as this seems to be a common problem but most threads here and elsewhere online are totally out of date and 90% or more of all the pics are link-lost. Thanks for your time and assist Terrys87
Old 06-27-2017, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Might be what you are looking for https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52361381
Old 06-27-2017, 09:17 AM

appreciate the link/info Terry. Read through. I notice the owner in question seems to be working on an '85 though.
that fuse block looks simpler than the unit on this '93. I also note he went with a different flasher unit, where the kid at VatoZone verified I needed the EP35.
I'm hoping once I get the bottom mounting bolt removed, I'll be able to see where the top one is... or hopefully, find it's a wedged clip or something else that's not plainly obvious to me yet.

I've got to take a ride into town today and deal with some construction supply purchases but I'll grab some pics when I get home later today and dig back in.
I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to sawz-all off the rear bumper, to get her smitty one installed. damn corroded bolts have been killing me back there.
wish this little pickup wasn't fighting me for every step of progress... but it is what it is.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

At this time you have no Turn Signals or Hazard Lights ??

I have found the easy way for me is just listen to pulling in and out

Then feel it now it seems Toyota likes to move the flashers around some they hang up in the dash others in the fuse block
Old 06-28-2017, 07:49 PM

I appreciate the heads up wyoming9 but I finally found the damn thing yesterday afternoon. To answer your question specifically, I had original blinkers but there was no place or decent way to mount them on the refurb'd smittybilt bumper. that being the case and not having any decent resources on how to install a smittybilt bumper on this '93 Toyota pickup, I chose to mount an Amber LED blinker light in the valance panel. Thus began my journey into madness. (haha).

can't believe I wasted so much time pulling the entire dash apart and consider myself lucky to have gotten it all back together with brittle plastic parts giving out left and right. I'm more upset that out of all the information I was able to find in any online or direct resource, not a single one listed the actual location. If I hadn't pulled the air-ducting under the steering wheel out, I would have probably still missed it... but as promised, a picture for future reference, for the next poor bastard.

First pic to show unfettered location:

Other pics with flasher in hand, to remove any doubt:

Now what got really weird was... it was all an absolute waste of time anyway.
I gave a link to the new, LED compatible flasher above and I'll show it here against the original:

When I removed the stock flasher and plugged in the new one... nothing. no reaction at all. It fit the socket perfectly and popped in with no problem but it may as well have been unplugged. I went back to another parts store and was able to return the first one as a warranty replacement (new/bad). They verified it was the correct flasher at this new store as well and gave me a fresh EP35. It also, didn't work at all. Popped the old one back in and everything was blinking away with the old incandescent bulbs.

In the end... I gave up on the upgraded flasher, since there was no real rhyme or reason that the EP35 unit wasn't working. Instead, I went with what I knew should work and picked up a set of sylvania LED resistors, to eliminate the potential "hyper blink" from the new LEDs. Here's the resistor, mounted against the front frame, behind the bumper and wired up, safely to avoid any heat or corrosion issues.

And here's the LED Amber blinker lens, mounted in the valance panel. I tried to get a pick of it lit up,but I must have taken 10 pics and not a one caught the damn light "on", so I gave up. In the end... I got them both mounted up with the LED resistors in play and the original flasher and they both work perfectly. I would have liked them to be a little brighter than they turned out but it's a small LED strip and anything larger or thicker wouldn't have mounted up worth a damn against the subtle bends in the valance panel.

So, today I finally was able to move on to ripping apart the old rear bumper and fitting the rear, double tube, smittybilt bumper. So far, I've had to trim the bumper mounts down and I'll have to re-drill one of the holes to mount through the 2 bolts on either side. For whatever reason, the stock location made the bumper stick out about 2" too far but this will be an easy modification, compared to everything else I'd gone though with it so far. I didn't bother getting any pics as this thread hasn't generated and real noticeable interest around here. I do greatly appreciate the attempts to help though and I'll leave these pics up on my supermotors account, where I've had tons of Bronco and Harley pics hosted for well over a decade, with only small, remote display problems that usually get resolved quickly by the host. Again, I hope the info and pics I've shared are able to at least help someone else out sometime in the future.

Thanks YotaTech.

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 06-28-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I mounted my Turn signals between the upper and lower bars .

They looked somewhat like yours do I did not care for them there at all they were only visible looking at the vehicle direct from the front

My bumper sits quite a bit forward then your Custom brackets to fit the Tacoma

So I put another set on top the bumper much easier to see
Attached Thumbnails Warning Turn Signal Flasher Location?-002.jpg  
Old 06-29-2017, 09:23 AM

those definitely look more visible and comparable to stock. nice work.
if these end up not cutting it on their own, I will likely modify the running lamps to a blinker as well.
caught a write-up while looking around here for flasher locations and it looked like a pretty easy modification.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:27 PM

Finished (mostly) pics for closure.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:15 PM
nk

Made my day

Same problem, couldn't find the damn thing, searched all over, found in the fsm where it tells you how to test it, but its not in any of the location diagrams. So TYVM for posting pics.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:01 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by nk
Same problem, couldn't find the damn thing, searched all over, found in the fsm where it tells you how to test it, but its not in any of the location diagrams. So TYVM for posting pics.
We could not help you if you don't tell us what model-year Escalade we're dealing with.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:44 AM
nk

??? Not sure what that means rad, but I found it thanks to the photos OP posted. Now to see if its gonna do me any good, part was ordered before i read this so might as well try.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by nk
??? Not sure what that means rad, but I found it thanks to the photos OP posted. Now to see if its gonna do me any good, part was ordered before i read this so might as well try.

Gotta tell us what model-year-engine-transmission-trim you've got because there are many variations out there, especially some transition years like the 1988- 1991.
I strongly-recommend that anyone asking for help puts model-year-engine-transmission info ins signature.
​​​I have fuse, relay locations post for 1986 4Runner, 22RE, 5-speed on my thread.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-08-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by nk
glad to hear I was able to leave something useful for someone dealing with the same issue. I don't hang out here but I do get notice when this thread gets hit.
hopefully that flasher will work out for you, as it obviously didn't do squat for me. Oh well... if it ever goes out, at least I know where to find it now.
Have a good one!