Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A wake up call on my 2nd gen...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A wake up call on my 2nd gen...

after getting a lifetime free alignment and inspection from firestone I got an AOK (clean bill of health) and was told that everything was in tip top shape. I could still feel that something was not right however so I dropped by a local toyota mastertech's shop for a second opinion. (only toyotas). boy oh boy was I in for a surprise. He did a thorough inspection on my rig and next thing I know we are having a long talk (even after the shop closed for an hour) and the end result is that I left the rig in the shop all weekend as I was told that it was in my best interest not to even drive it for the time being (to be on the safe side!)
how can I get a clean bill health from 1 shop and later the same evening be told that it's not even safe to drive? well I'll tell you..and all I have to say is that it was very lucky that I got a second opinion...

first up I am missing the bracket that holds the intake plenum up (this is for a 3vze) and holds the longer spark plug wires away from the headers. one wire was burned through and was arcing, this was my main indication that things weren't running right. this means that the upper intake plenum was quite unsupported. we're just getting started.

reed valve is completely loose and wobbling, the thorley header attachment point doesn't fit the stock reed valve properly, this is causing a major vacuum leak and has pulled several important vacuum lines away from the plenum. I am told that something needs to be fabbed for this.

the exhaust's first only real attachment point is AFTER THE MUFFLER...meaning that the whole front of the exhaust is being held on by the headers, putting incredible strain on those headers... and will cause a crack due to the lack of support. he can't believe they have not cracked already. this speaks very highly of the strength of thorley headers thank you thorley

rear pan-hard drop bar is improperly installed and needs help. (rear suspension is unsafe)

front idler arm is so loose that there's almost an inch of free play in there...how could I just have been given an alignment and a clean bill of sale the same day? they showed me that the alignment would have been different depending on there the front tires were 'placed' before the alignment...ph wow...

it gets even better...

big oil leaks from the heads, power steering leak (needs new pump), oh yeah....

starter is so close to the headers that it is apparently being cooked every single day, and that's the reason why I've already lost one starter already...so it needs a heat shield made for it, this is a major priority I am told. various wires and hoses are also being cooked due to proximity to headers and need to be rerouted

and the biggest issue is that after the headers and cams and inatake have been installed, nothing has been done for the fuel mixture...and that I am running LEAN LEAN, off the charts lean. My check engine light has been disabled otherwise it would apparently be on all the time. I am advised that at the very least the vacuum leak and reed valve issue needs to be fixed first, and then a proper reading may be able to be taken, and I may be able to get back to spec, otherwise I may need bigger injectors (10% bigger). if that doesn't work I am told the best way is to get a piggyback unit to monitor the fuel mixture. I am told that this lean-ness is a major concern and needs to be fixed immediately. this is something I need a second opinion on from YT if possible. I would like to avoid a piggyback for now if possible, this is a major expense I am told.I need to learn more about tis bigger injector/computer/running lean issue. he is very concerned about this.

so I left the 'runner in the shop. I am advised that some of these issues are so critical that it's best not to even drive until they are addressed. I was shell-shocked after hearing all this so I obeyed!

I do have some good news from all this...
all of these problems are fixable, there is no catastrophic damage yet, while there are major issues, they can be dealt with. I have been lucky. if the headers had cracked, if the exhaust had fallen, if there had been a fire...this would have been MAJOR. as it stands, my rig is still intact, and will be way better when these changes are made.
-he thinks the choices in aftermarket parts is simply incredible. this is thanks to my friends on yotatech.
-he thinks with proper integration and 'cleaning up' that this rig will be rock solid and much safer.
-I will have much more power when the fuel mixture is taken care of.
-the shop is close to my place of residence making things much easier.
-the tech really knows his stuff. after a long talk, I trust him and can see that he loves the toyotas and has worked on them for many years. he knows the 3vze really well, much more than everyone I have personally met except of course for dudebud and weasy and daryl who are incomparably good. unfortunately they all live hours away from me or I would be bothering them all the time!

bad news-
downtime may be lengthy (at least a week to start with)
cost looks like it may start adding up bigtime. I do not have an estimate yet however they are not cheap. I do not have a quote yet but the shop rate is $90 which brings tears to my eyes

i have a family and can't believe that I had so many issues...I will feel better when this is taken care of...I hope to hear from any 2nd gen owners and hear opinions about these issues if possible,

thanks for listening and comments and thoughts about these issues and priorities are more than appreciated: I am sincerely grateful for them
Old 10-13-2007, 07:57 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well firestone generally are not anything but b and c techs (brakes and alignment at best really).

This guy seems to know his stuff
Old 10-13-2007, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.....seems like those headers have caused some problems
Old 10-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

i just bought into the firestone lifetime warranty for alignment last friday. it steered a little better, but i still had something wrong. today i replaced a bad lower ball joint. now how could they align it with a bad ball joint. generally you go to these places and look for everything that could be wrong with a vehicle, but i guess it being four wheel drive it is not easy money. good luck with all your problems$$$$$$$$
Old 10-13-2007, 08:13 AM

Its not worth your money to pay for it. the cost will be more than buying another one and puttin the old stuff on the right way.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by WCorbett
Its not worth your money to pay for it. the cost will be more than buying another one and puttin the old stuff on the right way.
that just depends on how much you love your vehichle and the people riding in it w/ you. i say fix it right and forget about it. if you cant pay for the repairs, do it yourself, im sure there are plenty of people on here willing to help with any questions you may have.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, your talking about someone who knows "routine inspections" and probably doesnt have any sort of education about cars, with someone who was probably trained about toyotas...

i feel bad for you man...
my 3vze is starting to sound different, and im not liking it.. i am going to do seafoam, and change the oil and see if that makes a big difference...
Old 10-13-2007, 08:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mr toytech
that just depends on how much you love your vehichle and the people riding in it w/ you. i say fix it right and forget about it. if you cant pay for the repairs, do it yourself, im sure there are plenty of people on here willing to help with any questions you may have.
X2....
Old 10-13-2007, 09:03 AM

On the needing new injectors/piggy back suggestion, what all have you done to your motor? Just Headers? I would be REALLY surprised if the 3.0 was so close to the edge of its injecting capabilities that a header would require larger injectors and a piggy back. Most manufacturers design a certain amount of head room in to the fuel system. I would think headers should not be enough to put you over the top but I have never owned a 3.0. I have never heard of any stock engine requiring more fuel for exhaust upgrades alone.

I'd keep looking for other reasons for the lean AFR's like low fuel pressure from a leak.

Or maybe you have a leak in your intake (didn't you say there was nothing supporting part of your intake plenum?) and unmetered air is getting sucked in behind your air flow meter...

Good luck!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

thanks guys!

thanks a lot guys for your input, I agree with you thook, infiltrator, mrtoytech, I love this rig and I couldn't agree more that it's worth doing it right for my own peace of mind and my family too. I have put a lot of time and effort into choosing parts, and it's been hard to find quality guys to do installs as some of these items are just tricky (3vze headers for example!). The tech who examined the rig yesterday really, really knows his stuff, and quality and knowledge like that is very valuable. Wcorbett, I agree with you too (and the tech even suggested it yesterday), that one option would be to just pull everything and either put in a 3.4, or else put in a bone stock new 3vze and start over...however, to be honest, even thinking about doing everything over again from scratch makes me cringe!
but he said that so much has been done right already, and nothing major is malfunctioning, that with the proper repairs now that it would integrate all the aftermarket work that's been done and make it a balanced whole...so far, after listening to him yesterday, I realized that everything has been done kind of patchwork and there are some loose ends and corner cutting. He told me that when all is said and done that he sees a 'couple grand' in there, I think 2 or 3 at the most. This is, to my knowledge, less than an engine swap and far less than a new engine, and things will be running much, much better. I have had 12 hours to get used to this idea, last night I could almost hear my 'gulp' echoing though the repair bay when he said that.
my main question is about the 10% bigger injector/fuel regulator...is this necessary?
the major things like heat shield for the headers, properly attached plenum and reed valve, exhaust and rear suspension attachment points, vacuum and oil leak fixes, I gave the OK immediately. the new 10% larger injectors and piggyback fuel system tho I am not sure and I may be going overboard. I don't think I should give a 'no holds barred' green light for everything as this would perhaps become far too expensive for me...at the same time this guy is so skilled that he assures me that it will be so much better and safer that it should just be done once and done right. hard to say, anyway they are closed for the weekend so things won't get rolling until monday so I have some time to think and consult with my experts namely y'all

PS- to turbo 4runner- one of the possibilities for the fuel mix issue is the leak at the reed valve, he told me that after that is fixed, it may clear up the fuel mix issue w/o the need for injectors or piggyback, that would be the best case scenario. issues which may affect this are headers, cams and intake. possible leaks were plenum, reed and various hoses which came dislodged due to the reed moving around due to the mis-fitting thorley attachment

Last edited by taikowaza; 10-13-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:19 AM

you could get the headers heat tape wrapped to reduce the heat that may also save the #5 exhaust valve.
as for the reed valve make your own adapter I bet what they make will be a 1.00$ part but will charge 100$

Last edited by CyMoN; 10-13-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:28 AM

Sorry, I should have read your sig to see your mods..

You should only need a new regulator if you have one of the two scenarios:
1. Your stock one is not a 1:1 rising rate and you have a forced induction motor.
2. You got a larger fuel pump and it moves so much fuel that the regulator doesn't flow enough 'return' resulting in high fuel pressure.

Since you have a stock pump and N/A motor, you should not need a new regulator. Even if you needed new injectors (which I highly doubt) you would be fine on the stock FPR.

I would still be very surprised if those mods exceeded the capabilities of the stock injectors. I certainly wouldn't buy any injectors or piggy back stuff until everything else is fixed and there is still an issue.

While there's a fair amount to do it sounds like its totally worth the repairs. I'm sure most of that 2 or 3 grand is in labor. Like you said its nothing major, just a bunch of small tasks that if they aren't dealt with can become major.

Fix it or get it fixed and drive it for another 100,000 miles.

Oh, and I agree with CyMon, wrap those headers with header heat tape. Keeps under engine temps down a lot and header wrap is pretty cheap.

Last edited by Turbo4Runner; 10-13-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah man your truck kicks butt!

i am thinking of doing the 3.4 swap, but im not super mechanic. i think im going to call around and get some good quotes..

i wanna take my 4runner to yodaman (same thing as you said, they specialize in NOTHING but toyota's)

i figure, once i get my new stereo and suspension in, it will be a better buy to get a new engine rather than a new car... but i cringe at the paycheck for this...
Old 10-13-2007, 09:50 AM

If the mixture was a problem there is the mod on the VAFM (if you have that) to make it fool the ECM and run a bit richer , you said you had some vacumn leaks and that in itself could cause lean burn for sure.
As long a the exhaust has a few hangers (one at tail , one mid between tail and muffler approx. and one cat side of muffler) then your headers are not at risk , I have seen with just 2 hangers (cat side of muffler and tail pipe) that have lasted for 20 yrs or more without damage and these motors torque alot more than 3.0's .
I guess you have to be careful and verify everything they are saying just for your own sake so you don't spend more than you have to
The Plenum Bracket you spoke of is pretty important though , hate to see someone pay $90 a hour to have them install Spark Plug wire clips when you could do that in the driveway in 30 minutes , even if they took the brackets off it would be cheaper for you to take care of that small stuff , even the bracket on the plenum (its just 2 bolts , get a bracket from a parts trk or yard
Let them handle the stuff you can't do at $90 a hour
Old 10-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=Turbo4Runner;50638528]

thanks everybody who posted in this thread, I am feeling pretty good about everything today, I am going to get all the major issues taken care of and then see how my fuel mixture is, I would not be surprised to see everything clear out w/o injectors and I am definitely not going to get a piggyback, that is a bit too experimental for me at this point I think.

turbo4runner I am quoting you because I agree with you 100%!

"I would still be very surprised if those mods exceeded the capabilities of the stock injectors. I certainly wouldn't buy any injectors or piggy back stuff until everything else is fixed and there is still an issue.
While there's a fair amount to do it sounds like its totally worth the repairs. I'm sure most of that 2 or 3 grand is in labor.... Like you said its nothing major, just a bunch of small tasks that if they aren't dealt with can become major.
Fix it or get it fixed and drive it for another 100,000 miles.

YEAH!!!

the only thing I don't agree with...is wrapping headers with heat tape. even tho I have ceramic headers they will become cooked and crack if they are wrapped...I have done a lot of research on this and wrapping headers is generally (as far as I believe) not a good idea under any circumstance.
what I am going to do however is get that heat shield for the starter and make sure that everything is well away from those headers! they get hot! thanks again guys for all your help and I will post the results and hopefully pics too.

by the way...we rented a prius while the 'runner is in the shop...even though the mileage is INCREDIBLE...I prefer my runner 100000%...blindspot on the prius was terrible! also I hate being so close to the ground, no power, and seems flimsy. but the mileage is SO NICE...wish I could get 45-60MPG on my 2nd gen too!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

update on the 2nd gen wake-up call

well I spoke with the tech today and some good news! after properly connecting the reed valve and getting rid of all the vacuum leaks, the mixture is actually running rich!!! this means, no need for injectors, no need for megasquirt etc.
fantastic news...it will be relatively easy to lean things out apparently. everything is running really well, I ordered 2 new jacobs wires to replace the ones that are completely burned out on the headers (damn they were hot ! also he is going to remove some of the unnecessary hoses in the engine bay (there are hoses for an e-locker that was never installed it seems?
the 3vze has so much crap in there anyway that less is more.
also a heat shield for the starter as I mentioned, better attachments for the exhaust and rear suspension...well I think I lucked out in finding out these issues before they turned into something big and I thank my lucky stars that I don't need all new injectors and a computer that would have been BUCKS!!!
thanks guys for the advice and support...it's nice to get some good news for a change!! can't wait to hear the engine with the fuel mixture just dialed in
Old 10-15-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by taikowaza
well I spoke with the tech today and some good news! after properly connecting the reed valve and getting rid of all the vacuum leaks, the mixture is actually running rich!!! this means, no need for injectors, no need for megasquirt etc.
fantastic news...it will be relatively easy to lean things out apparently. everything is running really well, I ordered 2 new jacobs wires to replace the ones that are completely burned out on the headers (damn they were hot ! also he is going to remove some of the unnecessary hoses in the engine bay (there are hoses for an e-locker that was never installed it seems?
the 3vze has so much crap in there anyway that less is more.
also a heat shield for the starter as I mentioned, better attachments for the exhaust and rear suspension...well I think I lucked out in finding out these issues before they turned into something big and I thank my lucky stars that I don't need all new injectors and a computer that would have been BUCKS!!!
thanks guys for the advice and support...it's nice to get some good news for a change!! can't wait to hear the engine with the fuel mixture just dialed in
Awesome Man !!!!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Contributing Member

2nd gen repair update...and some questions

well this shop did a great job. ben at ralliround in seattle, near lake union. they know their stuff and I picked up the 4runner today. here's everything that got done,I was surprised to see quite a lot of parts and vacuum hoses that were on my passenger seat when I returned: removed from the engine!
here's pics...I was explained that these are for the now non-existent front differential lock on my runner. (now manual locking hubs w/front truetrac)...will this give me more power now that these are out of the engine?

it was a good experience at ralliround, not too many parts were required, mostly oil (changed to synthetic redline again, bought a case), starter wrap kit to blanket the starter (it was getting so hot, now is protected in its own little heat-resistant nest but that was a lot of labor as they had to loosen the starter from behind those 3vze headers which imprison the starter...also new vacuum hoses, braided high quality lines, bolts to get the budbuilt on there even stronger...intake manifold bracket, oil filter, that's it! costs were mostly labor. especially dialing the fuel mix in properly (including vacuum leaks) and sorting out the danger to the starter

they also reset the fiel mixture at the AFM to proper fuel settings...
can anyone tell me what this means?
"set to 2.25volts VF on computer feedback O2 cycling in middle".

tested the runner and all is running very well, much different response than before, need more time to experiment, but first impressions very positive.

---

I learned that I need a new power steering pump and a new idler and pitman arm and tie end rods. ouch. what is the verdict on used parts for these...or should I bite the bullet and go new? after today's checkbook hit I won't be able to do these for a while anyway. I think they should hold for a while. idler/pitman are fine but there is some free play in there (which is why firestone should never have told me ?K! all is aligned and well!)
power steering pump is fine, but leaking. I can live with this for now...is this a danger to my engine to leave it alone and leaking (just topping it up) for now?

THANKS don't know what i'd do w/o YT!
hope all your runners are running great!!! glad mine is again. repairs on the horizon tho...
-
Attached Thumbnails A wake up call on my 2nd gen...-parts-removed.jpg   A wake up call on my 2nd gen...-parts-removed-3.jpg   A wake up call on my 2nd gen...-4runner-optimized.jpg  

Last edited by taikowaza; 10-19-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Contributing Member

Coming from a seasoned 4 wheeling veteran.... If I could do it all over again... I'd skip the 2nd gen. The 3.0 leaves NO room to work in the engine bay (and thus any mechanic not seriously interested in your rig will easily overlook problems)

Sad to say but with a second gen I am not surprised. Toyota finally figured it out worth the 3rd gen. *shrugs* But glad you kept at it!-
Old 10-20-2007, 03:05 AM

them headers are nice as far as the power gain. hope it lasts you another 100kmiles. tim.

Quick Reply: A wake up call on my 2nd gen...