Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

W series transmission extension housing oil baffle plate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W series transmission extension housing oil baffle plate?

Hey guys first post here. I need a little assistance: I have a 1991 pickup 4x4 with a 22re and W series transmission. There is oil leaking around the extension housing atop the transmission. I just changed the fluid so itll keep it up until it gets to a lower level... Anyways, I bought a new gasket, but the bolt holes on the baffle "plate" are elongated and oil is passing through these areas. Part number for the rubber plate is 3314335040 if you need a diagram. My problem is this part is discontinued and I cannot find it anywhere. Have any of you run into this issue or can you recommend an alternate fix since it seems I can no longer get this part? I have been searching around pick and pull sites, but the only one I found that had the same transmission would not let me part it out for this. Thank you all.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:04 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
did you call marlincrawler to see if they have it??

looks like it can be added to the cart here, but i'd email first: http://www.trdparts.com/Toyota-OEM-P...3143-35040.htm

worst case is that any leaks there should be fixable as is, by degreasing and liberal rtv application, even on the outside of the cover plate... but i'd first look for conditions that are causing high pressure inside the transmission.

for example, if the vent is plugged it'll leak oil out of the top... what i found recently was that on long trips on hot days, the exhaust/catalytic converter was overheating everything around it; both the transmission and the tunnel itself, causing leakage in the cover plate area.

i fashioned a long sheet metal baffle, wrapped around the top/one side of the exhaust, that should fix it... roughly similar to the factory sheet metal baffling fastened to the bottom of the cab, above the exhaust, but much bigger in size.

Last edited by osv; 06-09-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:17 AM

Thank you for the response! I didn't even think about the vent. Where exactly is that on the w56? I've tried Marlin. And most of these Toyota websites will let me order, then refund me and say none available. I've been meaning to replace the cat, I'll have to see if I can redirect of the heat and see if it helps. Thanks again!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:37 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
not all of 'em are vented properly, from the factory: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=67519.0

it's probably cheaper and easier to put in your own vent, than locate the part... also check for venting on the transfer case.

i have the trail gear dual case mount, so i'm already blocking more airflow than what the factory designed... i'm not sure that the cat is installed in the right location either, it's rather far back, and i welded it in slightly rotated.

when you put the cat in, the numbers may need to be visible for smog checking purposes.

the sheet metal i used was a long piece from the heating/air section at home depot, i drilled holes in it and bolted it to the factory baffles under the cab, then made a long metal bracket to attach the bottom, at the front end of the sheet metal piece.

it all came to a head for me last summer, driving across the central valley of ca in 110 degree heat... i was leaking significant oil out of the rear driveshaft seal, blowing all over the back of the truck :-0 i found out later that it was also leaking out the top of the transfer case.

i can't remember if the trans was leaking, it does not share fluid with the transfer case, but i replaced the rear transfer case seal with one of those long tg seals(marlin was out of stock, as usual), and put in the huge heat baffle.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Make your own

I just use Silicone any gaskets are long gone
Old 08-04-2016, 02:36 PM

Sorry for the late response but thank you for all the help.