86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

VSS 3VZE location

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSS 3VZE location

Ok, i've searched the threads and didn't find to much so i guess i could use a little help. I'm trying to figure out exactly where the VSS is on my 1989 4x4 pickup. One posting refers to it being on top of the tranny but not sure about that. I recently replaced the spedo cable and i'm getting error codes 42,43 and 51. I'm not sure if the codes had been cleared since the cable was replaced so was going to try and reset codes and check again. I noticed a technical article refering to running the vehicle for 10 mins in test mode. Anyone have any experience with this? It seems that the symptoms of my problem might be related to the vss being faulty. Not sure. Here are the symptoms: Hesitation mostly when cold. Seems to be better when it warms up. I have checked for exaust leaks and did find a couple in the o2 sensor gasket and the cat gasket. Fixed both and it doens't seem to have any more leaks that I can detect so i'm not so sure it's a leaking gasket. I know these trucks don't get great gas mileage but i'm a little suspiscious of getting 18+ on the hwy but only 13 around town. Seems kind of extreme to me. the hesitation seems to be only at a certain position of the throttle. If i barely press on the gas pedal that's when it's most apparant. If i go a little further on the pedal then it seems to clear up somewhat. I wanted to start the diagnosis with checking for codes and that brings me to where i am now. I figured i would start with that. First trying to even determine if the VSS is bad or not. Any help would be most apppreciated.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:23 AM

VSS Location

Nobody wants to touch this one? There has got to be someone who has dealt with this one.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:44 AM

Hesitation/Engine Codes/TPS

Originally Posted by quackenheimer
Ok, i've searched the threads and didn't find to much so i guess i could use a little help. I'm trying to figure out exactly where the VSS is on my 1989 4x4 pickup. One posting refers to it being on top of the tranny but not sure about that. I recently replaced the spedo cable and i'm getting error codes 42,43 and 51. I'm not sure if the codes had been cleared since the cable was replaced so was going to try and reset codes and check again. I noticed a technical article refering to running the vehicle for 10 mins in test mode. Anyone have any experience with this? It seems that the symptoms of my problem might be related to the vss being faulty. Not sure. Here are the symptoms: Hesitation mostly when cold. Seems to be better when it warms up. I have checked for exaust leaks and did find a couple in the o2 sensor gasket and the cat gasket. Fixed both and it doens't seem to have any more leaks that I can detect so i'm not so sure it's a leaking gasket. I know these trucks don't get great gas mileage but i'm a little suspiscious of getting 18+ on the hwy but only 13 around town. Seems kind of extreme to me. the hesitation seems to be only at a certain position of the throttle. If i barely press on the gas pedal that's when it's most apparant. If i go a little further on the pedal then it seems to clear up somewhat. I wanted to start the diagnosis with checking for codes and that brings me to where i am now. I figured i would start with that. First trying to even determine if the VSS is bad or not. Any help would be most apppreciated.
Here is the Online '93 FSM , it should cover your motor which is the first (if its a 4 banger , if its the 3VZE then scroll down a bit for that motor list) listed under the specs :
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

Here is a link to a walkthrough for checking the TPS on the car as it will cause some of the problems you have described :
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

The TPS specs are available in the FSM also as well as a Emission's and Vacumn routing layout which should be able to tell you where you should look for this sensor/switch you are looking for , the FSM (under "engine") list's all the various emissions systems for the different years of the 4 and 6 cyl motors , this FSM is supposed to be good back to about '88 , if not go to this page and you can download the FSM strictly for the 4 bangers or a paticular one :

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

And if you need the code breakdown there is one here as well as in the online FSM :
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-14-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:03 PM

Thanks n4yu,
That's a great start. I knew someone would have a clue. I'll start there and thanks a bunch again. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by quackenheimer
Thanks n4yu,
That's a great start. I knew someone would have a clue. I'll start there and thanks a bunch again. I'll let you know how it goes.
Cool , glad to help
Old 10-14-2007, 12:34 PM

To bad you don't live in cali. Could use your brain cells on this truck. You've obviuolsy kept yours going pretty well!!! Maybe i'll take a drive up to colorado and have you give it a good once over. Just kidding....but have always wanted to go to colo.