Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Vapor lock of failing fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am rethinking my parts purchases at Oreilly's Auto Parts. I had to replace my 30 year old Toyota alternator. I put brushed in it 10 years ago and it ran flawlessly until I had a bad wiring situation caused it to blow. That was in like June 2016. In April I had to replace my 9 month old alternator twice in one week.

I replaced my 30 year old Toyota fuel pump in September 2016, I then had to replace my Oreilly's fuel pump 8 months later...

Anybody else having this kind of part failures?

grey
Old 05-29-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by greyheadedguy
I am rethinking my parts purchases at Oreilly's Auto Parts. I had to replace my 30 year old Toyota alternator. I put brushed in it 10 years ago and it ran flawlessly until I had a bad wiring situation caused it to blow. That was in like June 2016. In April I had to replace my 9 month old alternator twice in one week.

I replaced my 30 year old Toyota fuel pump in September 2016, I then had to replace my Oreilly's fuel pump 8 months later...

Anybody else having this kind of part failures?

grey
I totally understand your frustration!

These types of failures seem to come up far too often unfortunately. I went through three "parts store" brand brake master cylinders in two days. I could not get the fluid to bleed properly. The seals were messed up. I ended up buying an Aisin master cylinder (the manufacture of the original part) and have not had a problem since. That was about 2 years ago.

This is the reason why people on here generally say buy the OEM part.

Many people who haven't had these experiences with aftermarket brands think it is a waste of money to buy the OEM part, until something like this happens. In some cases the OEM part costs twice as much, (or more) but end up being cheaper when they last so long.

Last edited by old87yota; 05-29-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
I totally understand your frustration!

These types of failures seem to come up far too often unfortunately. I went through three "parts store" brand brake master cylinders in two days. I could not get the fluid to bleed properly. The seals were messed up. I ended up buying an Aisin master cylinder (the manufacture of the original part) and have not had a problem since. That was about 2 years ago.

This is the reason why people on here generally say buy the OEM part.

Many people who haven't had these experiences with aftermarket brands think it is a waste of money to buy the OEM part, until something like this happens. In some cases the OEM part costs twice as much, (or more) but end up being cheaper when they last so long.

What do you think of NAPA parts? Or some of these places that buy Genuine Toyota Parts with their discount and resell them at a lower markup? I have found one for my fuel pump for like $90. Local sealer wants almost $130 for the parts...

grey

Last edited by greyheadedguy; 06-01-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:21 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
If you want OEM parts and can wait a few days, I'd suggest going to one of the on-line Toyota parts dealers like www.toyotapartsoverstock.com . (There are others as well.) Prices are quite a bit lower than local dealer prices, and it's the same OEM part. I've had good service from them - they even called me after I ordered shocks because they noticed my order didn't match my VIN, so they worked with me to make sure I got the right parts.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by RJR
If you want OEM parts and can wait a few days, I'd suggest going to one of the on-line Toyota parts dealers like www.toyotapartsoverstock.com . (There are others as well.) Prices are quite a bit lower than local dealer prices, and it's the same OEM part. I've had good service from them - they even called me after I ordered shocks because they noticed my order didn't match my VIN, so they worked with me to make sure I got the right parts.
I like the idea of the Toyota parts, but am finding some problems. Like with the site you posted. They do not have 87 4x4 trucks in their listings. I tried the 4Runner selection and can't get my truck out of that listing either...

grey
Old 06-01-2017, 10:49 PM

4x4 isn't one of the options on that site when looking up parts. They seem to lump 4WD and 2WD into the same search.

When I looked up the part, I found it under TOYOTA > 4RUNNER > 2400CC, MANUAL, 5-SPEED > LOW DECK, PICKUP, STANDARD > 1987 > FUEL, EXHAUST, AND EMISSIONS > FUEL PUMP AND PIPE

http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/show...rimLevel=18293

Others here have also used Toyota Parts Deal as well. You can type in your VIN and only the parts that are supposed to fit your truck will show up on the parts listings.

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...100-39336.html

I would double check with your VIN, but I believe this is the part you need.

You can also buy a Kyosan Denki fuel pump. They are the Original Equipment Manufacture that Toyota used and should be the same part as you would get from Toyota, just without the word "TOYOTA" stamped into the top. If your local parts store has one (I doubt it but you never know), you will basically have an OEM part.

These pumps are quite a bit more expensive than the "parts store" brands, but my original one lasted 30 years, so in the long run, it is a better value.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:51 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by greyheadedguy
I like the idea of the Toyota parts, but am finding some problems. Like with the site you posted. They do not have 87 4x4 trucks in their listings. I tried the 4Runner selection and can't get my truck out of that listing either...

grey
If you can't find the part on the website, or aren't sure of which is the right one, just give them a call with your VIN handy. They should be able to take care of you.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:40 PM

Hey old87yota and RJR have you started having your vacuum pods fail yet? I am having another problem and have started having original factory diaphragms fail. So I was wondering if either one of you or others have started having failures. My truck did take a very hard blow (head on accident) to the driver's front wheel which bent the frame and shoved the engine up 2 - 3 inches... I ask because my auxiliary acceleration pump diaphragm failed about a year ago...

Thanks for the input,

grey
Old 06-09-2017, 07:13 PM

That sounds like a nasty collision! I hope no one was hurt!

If by vacuum pods do you mean the vacuum diaphragms in the carburetor?

The auxiliary acceleration pump diaphragm is known to be the first rupture. They are about 30 years old after all and judging by the posts I have seen about the auxiliary accelerator pump diaphragm, I would say it is a common problem with the age of these trucks. The rubber just deteriorates over time.

When I rebuilt my carburetor a few months ago, my diaphragms were all good, but I replaced them anyway during the rebuild. I have had a few bad vacuum lines but they lasted for about 28 years, that seems like a reasonable life to me.

Last edited by old87yota; 06-09-2017 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Added more words...
Old 06-10-2017, 06:48 PM

That sounds like a nasty collision! I hope no one was hurt!:
Sadly my neck is messed up so it bothers me most days and my right knee has damaged cartilage behind the knee cap which gets painful from time to time....

If by vacuum pods do you mean the vacuum diaphragms in the carburetor?:
Yea, that's what I am asking about...

The auxiliary acceleration pump diaphragm is known to be the first rupture. They are about 30 years old after all and judging by the posts I have seen about the auxiliary accelerator pump diaphragm, I would say it is a common problem with the age of these trucks. The rubber just deteriorates over time.

When I rebuilt my carburetor a few months ago, my diaphragms were all good, but I replaced them anyway during the rebuild. I have had a few bad vacuum lines but they lasted for about 28 years, that seems like a reasonable life to me.

Which is why I replaced them this year... My truck still isn't running right and gets terrible fuel mileage at about 15 MPG. This engine got 24 - 27 MPG in the old body... I expected a little bit of mileage drop but not that much...

Does anyone know if the computer from my 85 2 wheel drive truck will enterchange with the computer in my 87 4x4 which has my 85 engine in it...

grey

Last edited by greyheadedguy; 05-09-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:13 PM

Well, hot weather has set in and there is no question that I was dealing with a failing fuel pump. It has been 115 degrees in the shade this week and I have had no problems at all with my truck trying to vapor lock... Still dealing with my other problems, but vapor lock is not one of them.

Thanks for the help,

grey
Old 05-09-2019, 09:12 PM

Not sure I ever made it clear what happened. The "new" fuel pump I installed was faulty out of the box. In cold weather it was fine, but once it got hot it starved the engine. Been running on the new fuel pump for almost 2 years and not one problem with vacuum lock.

So even if the part is new out of the box, it is suspect of failure!

grey