Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

UNlifting my 89 Pickup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UNlifting my 89 Pickup?

Here's the deal.

I have a 89 Single Cab 4x4, with the 22re w/5sp.It has the rancho/downey mega travel uca's with a drop bracket up front.The rear are Downey/Alcan mix pack springs with a drop shackle.

I also have a 2" body lift.

I want to remove the drop bracket, which should drop the front about 2", and possibly get OME leafs for the rear.

I'm going to remove the body lift, which will require me moving the rocksliders down 2".Oh well.

The reason:I only run 33's, my truck is locked with an arb in the front and a powertrax in the rear, with 4.7's in the case.I have plenty of traction and way more room than I need for 33's.

Low COG is what I'm going for, I may run 35's but with some trimming I don't see any forseen problems.

This is the front end setup I'm going for:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...936-rotbw.html

Here's my truck now:

Any input guys?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by arizonatea
Here's the deal.

I have a 89 Single Cab 4x4, with the 22re w/5sp.It has the rancho/downey mega travel uca's with a drop bracket up front.The rear are Downey/Alcan mix pack springs with a drop shackle.

I also have a 2" body lift.

I want to remove the drop bracket, which should drop the front about 2", and possibly get OME leafs for the rear.

I'm going to remove the body lift, which will require me moving the rocksliders down 2".Oh well.

The reason:I only run 33's, my truck is locked with an arb in the front and a powertrax in the rear, with 4.7's in the case.I have plenty of traction and way more room than I need for 33's.

Low COG is what I'm going for, I may run 35's but with some trimming I don't see any forseen problems.

This is the front end setup I'm going for:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...936-rotbw.html

Here's my truck now:

Any input guys?
You cannot take out the front drop bracket without taking off the spindle adapters. If you want to run his setup, you have to find a set of Rancho arms which are very hard to find. Since these parts would be hard to find what I would recommend is a Blazeland kit. He is a member on here. Search his name.

Now what I would do is leave the suspension lift in and take out the body lift. Get some sway bar disconnects for the front and it will flex really good. Also run a set of ball joint spacers and decrank the torsion bars to give it a better ride and flex in addition to the sway bar disconnects. I did that on my 4Runner which has a 4" Superlift and it rides smoother and flexes pretty good and I do not have sway bar disconnects either. Then I would leave everything alone. I would not go 35's either then you will have to regear. My 4Runner has 35's, V6(3.slow), manual trans and 4.56 gears and it struggles.

James

Last edited by JamesD; 10-26-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by JamesD
You cannot take out the front drop bracket without taking off the spindle adapters. If you want to run his setup, you have to find a set of Rancho arms which are very hard to find. Since these parts would be hard to find what I would recommend is a Blazeland kit. He is a member on here. Search his name.

Now what I would do is leave the suspension lift in and take out the body lift. Get some sway bar disconnects for the front and it will flex really good. Also run a set of ball joint spacers and decrank the torsion bars to give it a better ride and flex in addition to the sway bar disconnects. I did that on my 4Runner which has a 4" Superlift and it rides smoother and flexes pretty good and I do not have sway bar disconnects either. Then I would leave everything alone. I would not go 35's either then you will have to regear. My 4Runner has 35's, V6(3.slow), manual trans and 4.56 gears and it struggles.

James
I have the rancho arms, what spindle adaptors are you speaking of?

I have looked into blazeland, will i be able to run that kit without the drop bracket?

I also have 5.29's in the diffs, so 35's would actually make my street driving more pleasant.I spin around 3200-3300 at 60-65 right now.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by arizonatea
I have the rancho arms, what spindle adaptors are you speaking of?

I have looked into blazeland, will i be able to run that kit without the drop bracket?

I also have 5.29's in the diffs, so 35's would actually make my street driving more pleasant.I spin around 3200-3300 at 60-65 right now.
Look at your spindles, there is an adapter that bolts to your stock spindles to your upper control arm. Should look like this:

Blazeland uses stock modified upper and lower control arms. You do not need any other adapters or drop brackets.

James
Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by razed
with all that "drop" stuff you should be dragging the ground...
Are you sure you don't mean "lift"?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:21 PM

Practice what you preach (your sig)! Think about what you just posted and get back with us.

James
Old 10-30-2010, 01:31 PM

Alright, so I have to remove the spindle adaptors to remove the drop bracket.Fine.

What's stopping me from running his setup.I have the rancho arms.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Newbs
Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Loose the 2" body lift, keep the Rancho Arms, keep the drop bracket kit. Run some 35s with those 5.29s. But, if your into speed and pre-running then go for the lowest center of gravity possible and loose the drop bracket kit too. The Rancho UCA and slip yoke CVs were a nice set up. I liked getting the extra travel without increasing the track width. Its a "catch 22" the higher you go, the wider you should go!

Last edited by BlazeN8; 11-01-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:35 PM

So, what happened to the outer Tie Rod End that is broken off in the steering arm? Your showing drivers side here right? Looks kind of mangled.

Originally Posted by JamesD
Look at your spindles, there is an adapter that bolts to your stock spindles to your upper control arm. Should look like this:

Blazeland uses stock modified upper and lower control arms. You do not need any other adapters or drop brackets.

James

Last edited by BlazeN8; 11-03-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by BlazeN8
Loose the 2" body lift, keep the Rancho Arms, keep the drop bracket kit. Run some 35s with those 5.29s. But, if your into speed and pre-running then go for the lowest center of gravity possible and loose the drop bracket kit too. The Rancho UCA and slip yoke CVs were a nice set up. I liked getting the extra travel without increasing the track width. Its a "catch 22" the higher you go, the wider you should go!

I'm planning to build my truck up as a nice DD/Expedition rig.

So It'll spend some time in the woods, at the beach, and maybe even the desert.It'll be taken camping, and I'll wheel it according to where I'm at.

So I've decided to lose the body lift, and the drop bracket.I'll get some 35's and trim some if necessary.Thinking of going with OME leafs in the rear, want something that rides nice on the street and off.

You've given me insight without simply suggesting your product as a solution to my problems.I respect that,
I'll be in touch about your system one of these days.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
GL fitting the 35's without a body lift or a drop bracket.
You're going to need some serious sawzall.
Not to mention the rubbing.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by peow130
GL fitting the 35's without a body lift or a drop bracket.
You're going to need some serious sawzall.
Not to mention the rubbing.
I will actually be sitting at about 3" of lift, So I will trim and use a BFH to handle the rest.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if it helps you any, i run 35 12.50s on bj spacers, AAL, and 2in BL. you should be able to fit them witout a BL if you pound the pinch weld in and do a little trimmin. io dont think youll have to trim as much as you may think
Old 11-05-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by BlazeN8
So, what happened to the outer Tie Rod End that is broken off in the steering arm? Your showing drivers side here right? Looks kind of mangled.
Got me hangin'. I just found the picture on the net!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:30 PM

azTea,

I think just using the Rancho Arms to clear 35s is a bad idea! When the suspension is compessed a wheel will stuff up against the firewall and it will bend the crap out of those Rancho arms. They are well established as weak. I've bent and cracked several. Also that size tire is too much mass! Rancho Arms need limiting shims (at the compression bumpstops) to clear 33s. It says it right in the Rancho Instuction Manual. The shims limit the up travel by about an inch. Add in a 2" body lift, and you will fit 33s with no problems. Then with some minor fender trimming and hammering at body seam, a 35 should work. What ever you end up doing is going to be some work. Search the forum here type in "Rancho Arms" or something. Its on here, I've put in many hours chatting with other members about much of this.