Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ultimate off road yota on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ultimate off road yota on a budget

Well I have bought a 88 yota pick up. Its got a blown headgasket. 22re i believe.

This will be a towed offroad rig. Built on a budget!!!

Its not going to happen quickly but i wanna do it right. Id like to keep it simple and strong.

Wheeling terrain will be maine. So a little bit of everything.

What you guys thinking would be ultimate wheeling rig with budget in mind. Which axles, what motor, what suspension and so on.

Lets hear it guys. Im gonna learn to weld and do this all my own.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Sounds like a unicorn.

You're gonna have 10 people give you 12 different opinions.....

I would read, read, search and read more.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:02 PM

I could read all day but wouldnt get anywhere. I want opinions. I have in mind what I think would work id just like to hear others thoughts.

Its been awhile since ive been into 4runners so im rusty with them. But i was thinking 63" spring swap in back. Sas for front. Armor up with tube bed. Cut the crap out of front fenders. All using cheap parts and custom fab.

I just want to hear some other options of what people think. Which axles they would use from other vehicles so on so on.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:05 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
everyone's budget is different. what is your budget?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:10 PM

Let me rephrase that... not budget but thrifty. I dont wana go buy a tube bumper I want to build it. I dont want to buy and built axle I want to save one and make it better. I dont want a crate engine I want an engine that i build and put in there.

I could build a linked beast on fancy coilovers but that be expensive. I want to go cheap yet functional and reuse parts i can nab off of craigslist and parts from other wheeling guys etc.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SAS with RUF make ur own hanger or buy the kit for around 150.00 do the 63's In the rear. Bilstiens all 4 corners. Tube doors, tube the rear end. Build your own bumpers. Keep the toy axles and add chromoly and lockers. Stay with a 22R or Re. 4.88 or 5.29 gears. No larger then a 37" tire. Add some rockers and ur ready to rock n roll
Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 PM

Oh add a winch toooo
Old 06-30-2013, 09:17 PM

Step one... learn to weld..on something else. Welding correctly takes a lot of practice and understanding of material properties. Your putting yourself in danger welding on things like frames, bumpers and axels if you don't know what you're doing.

You may want to reconsider not buying things like tube bumpers unless you already have a tube bender. For the cost of a cheap bender and dies you can buy front and rear bumper plus rock sliders. Add you material costs with waste and you can afford a cage too.

Sorry to rain on you parade but doing things yourself isn't always cheap when you add in the cost of tools.

First upgrade I would do is a rear locker. Then raise drive train and fuel tank. Then armor. Then sas.

Last edited by pascoscout; 06-30-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:29 PM

Buy everything wabfab and marlin crawler sell and hit the trails lika boss lol I'd do a ford swap rather then the chevy
Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by julsruls
I could read all day but wouldnt get anywhere. I want opinions. I have in mind what I think would work id just like to hear others thoughts.

Its been awhile since ive been into 4runners so im rusty with them. But i was thinking 63" spring swap in back. Sas for front. Armor up with tube bed. Cut the crap out of front fenders. All using cheap parts and custom fab.

I just want to hear some other options of what people think. Which axles they would use from other vehicles so on so on.
Look at build threads. I can guarantee you will find ideas and opinions in those thread.
You aren't the first
Old 07-01-2013, 03:11 AM

Put tires on it and run the hell out of it. While doing that, READ!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:27 AM

If I was just getting started I would keep in mind that everything I bought needs to be good quality so I do not have to buy it twice. You do not have to buy the most expensive stuff to have a good rig, but you need to buy the right stuff. Buy things that make sense in regaurd to what you are trying to build. Buy yourself a locker for your rear axle. After that figure out how much lift and how you want to lift your truck. The meat and potatoes around here is a SAS (solid axle swap), 63" Chevy 2500 springs in the rear, 35-38" tires, 5.29 gears, and bumpers of some type. That is not the whole list of mods, but most of the better built trucks on here follow that basic formula. I stress to you again though, make sure everything you buy and do is quality and worth having. When these trucks break they are often times not near home and are not just cruising down the highway. So with that in mind try to avoid problems by doing the best you can from the start. Since you already have to do the headgasket I highly reccomend you go ahead and get a new timing set and some metal guides. As a matter of fact go to http://www.englbldr.com and get your timing set there. You can also purchase complete heads there. I bought most of my engine parts from him when I built my engine last summer. Find yourself a Toyota or import salvage yard near you. I was lucky enough to find a Toyota truck salvage yard and have kept them busy. This is the best Toyota forum on the web. I built my 4runner using this site.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by julsruls
Let me rephrase that... not budget but thrifty. I dont wana go buy a tube bumper I want to build it. I dont want to buy and built axle I want to save one and make it better. I dont want a crate engine I want an engine that i build and put in there.

I could build a linked beast on fancy coilovers but that be expensive. I want to go cheap yet functional and reuse parts i can nab off of craigslist and parts from other wheeling guys etc.
get some 4130 seamless chromoly tubing DONT THINK CHEAP AND USE CHAINLINK FENCE POSTS( seen too many buggy cages built by people on "on a budget" and it never ends well)

for your difs you can pick up some spools for about $150. I never liked a spool or welded dif in the front, just save up for a front locker. SAS, ARMOR, LIFT,

that 22re head gasket is pretty easy to replace

Last edited by KBar; 07-01-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:15 AM

I would keep it 22re SAS with rear springs up front, yota axles you are going to need high steer as far as cromo axles just get the marfields you could even get away with one on the short side, its more prone to breaking with the short axle having less twist. just get a really nice set of 35's even if you have to save up for them its almost 50% of the game just having new or really good tires i would suggest the good year mtr. As far as lockers you can get through 80-90% of the trails out here with out lockers IF!!! you plan your line ahead of time and use momentum you dont have to use a ton just enough for a good bump. Having the open diffs will keep you out of troubble. If you think you need a roll cage then you need to think about a doubler and lockers. As far as shocks Bilstines are nice but you can go down to most auto part stores and just sift through a bunch of shocks and find a set that will work for what you want and if you buy ford shock towers you can weld them in as high or low as you want to accomidate the shock you buy. The pair of shocks i run were 24.99 a set and work well 12" of travel. Where in maine are you? I graduated from high school in York and im down there often

Last edited by riddarunner; 07-01-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 AM

Augusta
Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 AM

I feel like i might be upsetting some people here. I dont mean to if thats case. I am reading and going through threads.

I am not new to wheeling nor am I new to yotas. Im not completely ignorant of working on vehicles either. My cruiser was on 37s and I wheeled her hard and do all my own work.

I have been wanting to learn to weld for a long time. I decided long ago that I was gonna fab my own stuff. This wont be a quick build so im ok with learning curves and tools are an investment. That wouldnt be the only thing id use welder for either so the more projects make it even more worthwhile.

Sorry if I hurt some feelings or whatever I just wanted to make a fun little thread with ideas thrown together.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Lol, I told you so.....

I totally get what you're doing. If you've never welded before then I suggest you get with a buddy/school/local fab shop to guide you. Or, do what I did, and buy a welder from a pawn shop and start practising.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:38 PM

Truck was delivered today. Sadly im leaving for work tmrw so i wont be able to go over it.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:14 PM

Break junk, replace junk. The rig will tell you how it needs to be built.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 PM

No hurt feelings and didn't mean to offend. When you say learn to weld I assumed limited fab experience so I advised accordingly. Doing a budget build is not the same as I want to fab things for the experience or to say I built that. Seems you realise that and recognise the investment needed so rock on.

Quick Reply: ultimate off road yota on a budget