Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Turbo or charger give me your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Turbo or charger give me your opinions

Alright so here's the deal, my truck is starting to smoke a light bluish black after my drive to Nebraska. SO, I have always wanted a charger or turbo I have more wood for a turbo just because I do. The sound, the feel of a turbo just has always excited my tummy. But I have read quite a bit on both and getting mixed feelings about both set ups, yes turbos have more Piping and labor and set up, but the charger kits I have been looking at seem to be way more and really don't produce much for the cost. So before writing a book here this is what I'm looking to do.... A full rebuild for what whatever set up I decide to go with and no cheap corners cut, no eBay garbage and everything will be done right. I have a 22re that I will not change, I know some will say spend the money on a 3.4 or a different motor for the cost but this is not what I want. I love my 22re and I will keep it. I'm not looking to be a fast and furious toolbag either. Ok fire away gentlemen lemme have it opinions, suggestions, let's hear it
Old 07-15-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Imo, superchargers are cool but with them you have to have power to make more power. It seems better to go with a turbo where its just more power from the get go, and I love the blow off of a turbo lol good luck with whatever you decide
Old 07-15-2012, 06:11 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
to keep the 22re, go turbo. But I would also run a full stand alone ecu for it. The stock ecu is too dumb to know how to properly run the turbo and make the most power it can.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:13 PM

I have been throwing around both but I seem to be stuck on the turbo, my feelers are out for both although I search for results from both and not really finding much. The LCE supercharger kit on the site says good for up to 55 horse seems minimal for 3500 bucks although I'm sure it depends on the motor and how built it is. As far as the turbo I don't even know what I'm reading dyno results seem so different, I have seen a couple that were way passed 300 horse but I would imagine the reliability factor will be gone at that point and this I don't want. I'm trying to get reliability and good power which I know is possible and I know it's gonna cost me but I'm expecting it.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by vital22re
to keep the 22re, go turbo. But I would also run a full stand alone ecu for it. The stock ecu is too dumb to know how to properly run the turbo and make the most power it can.
I am expecting to deal with the ecu and programming, the guy that will be doing most of the turbo is researching this as well but he has done more newer vehicles that have more options, I am trying to do the homework also, vital do you know of someone that makes a good standalone that is specific to my application?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Get your self the 22RTEC complete . Once you have the manifolds then you can experiment with bigger turbos.

Do you plan on running a intercooler ??

If you are building from a bare block it is going to get expensive!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would deffinitly look into getting stronger crank barrings, as well as better pistons and rods. A custom manifold would be the best way to go, but getting a 22RTE manifold would be cheapest. You will more then likely want ARP head studs, and a good gasket under there as well.

I am thinking that the biggest issue will be attempting to build a custom setup for the 22RE in regards to tuning. I would look at MegaSquirt and build an entire system yourself or with someones help. I think you should be able to make at least 150 horse out of the engine at a fairly reliable rate.

Honestly unless you want something really cool and unique I wouldn't bother with a turbo setup. It is just going to cost more then it will be worth. However, if you are hell bent on have a really cool project and a unique truck go for it.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any reason why you can't do both? Supercharge (paxton or similar, not the LCE "roots" type) for low rpm boost, and hand off to a turbo for more at the mid-top range?

Why choose one over the other when you could do both?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by ravenlord
if you are hell bent on have a really cool project and a unique truck go for it.
Exactly

Well it will be a while I will keep bringing this from the dead here and there until I start the project. I feel it will be a can of worms but hey it will be fun. Took my ride to my mechanic friend that will be doing the work and he diagnosed my smoking to the valves. So I figure with 200000 I might as well do a full rebuild and heck while I'm at it lets do the turbo!! Best part is all of the cash will be from selling hairless cats so why not!! Anyway feel free to keep the thread alive any advice is great. But I will keep you posted as I research and figure out what I'm doing.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:12 PM

Hairless cats????

I met a guy that had a 22re with the turbo kit from LCE. I was very jealious of his truck and about nutted in my pants when I drove his truck.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 PM

So thinking about all my needs while doing this, should I get a better clutch? I just had the clutch replaced recently pretty sure it's nothing special, so should I get a better clutch than stock?? I would imagine if everything goes as planned will I have a little mutch for the stock clutch to handle?? I will have it all torn out so why not replace things while I'm at it.

Any clutch suggestions?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
So thinking about all my needs while doing this, should I get a better clutch? I just had the clutch replaced recently pretty sure it's nothing special, so should I get a better clutch than stock?? I would imagine if everything goes as planned will I have a little mutch for the stock clutch to handle?? I will have it all torn out so why not replace things while I'm at it.

Any clutch suggestions?
Centerforce...

As far as the turbo You need to figure out your budget then go from there. You can get away wiith using stock crank, rods and head if you get dish pistons. But Budget is first.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 AM

Does anyone know if they make specific pillar gauge pods for my truck, I have searched and they all seem to be universal ones that look like crap. I was thinking some on the top of the dash but there is really no good way to mount them to the curve of the dash above the vents. All the other options would be too low for good viewing angles. I was thinking mayby take the stock pillar with some fiberglass and build some pods but not sure yet.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:22 PM

Little update, still in the process of building funds for this project but an 86 turbo truck just slid into the yard by my house, so if I am doing pretty much all aftermarket stuff such as the turbo, manifold, etc and nothing really I guess you could say stock turbo like factory. Would it be just as easy to keep what I have and build it or get this turbo block?? I know it has oil cooling from the block factory but would there be any advantages over my 22re block?? I looked at the motor and didn't see much difference besides all the turbo stuff but mayby there is something I am missing?? Anyway thanks in advance

Oh and I did order my 3 pod pillar it's pretty sweet, I have it at a buddy's shop right now getting matched to the interior so the process starts

Last edited by Discombobulated; 08-26-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 22-RET has a lower compression ratio.
I would rather build a 22-ret then a 22-re.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:03 AM

If you have to buy a complete truck for just the turbo block then no its not worth it.

I know you are hard fast on the 22re but a 3rz seems like such a better candidate.

The turbo spool does sound cool though. Definitely gets looks when your lifted yota has the turbo whine.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3rz is what i was thinking too,.
why not start at 150 hp and spool up from there? 200 hp plus with the mileage of a 4cyl
would be real nice.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 PM

If a turbo 22R is what you want, I'd suggest a factory 22R-ET. I had one, and it had more then enough torque to pull a dolly and MR2.

Just don't expect much from a turbo 22R, at least form the top-end. It'll perform more like a diesel (lots of low-end torque), then an A-series or S-series with forced-induction.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 PM

I could buy the motor complete or just the block for 200, I forgot to ask him how much the complete set up with manifolds etc. I don't plan on using the ecu due to the fact I am going for way more than the 135 horse and I will be doomed to piggyback off of the stock, so I don't find it worth it to upgrade the harness. I am slowly figuring out this is going to be a nightmare as far as beginning to end, reason being everybody has a different set up. I haven't found a complete turn key kit yet, I don't think it exists but whatever.

Even upgrading the motor it seems to be just as difficult, but I'm about to tear the motor out and force myself to do something I'm also getting mixed feelings about who will rebuild it for me that I can trust. So it's still in the beginning stages and the cash flow kinda went south for the time being due to an injury and I haven't worked for a while but Anyhoo.

Oh and my recent cat litter didn't go so well to say the least and was actually pretty traumatizing, so another reason it is going to take longer than planned.

Last edited by Discombobulated; 08-28-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 PM

Thinking about this some more... if you just want power, and the turbo-whine, why not do a 5M-GTE swap? All-Toyota, 6cyl, turbo, and isn't it a straight swap if you use the 7M mounts? You could probably find a complete donor car for $1k (if you search and wait long enough), and you'd have every part you'd ever need (as it's a complete and running car). Then part-out the rest, and you'd probably recover most of the purchase price.

At least from my perspective, just doesn't seem practical to try to combine "power" and "R-series" in the same thread. Sure, it could be done, yet the 5M-GTE would start where the 22R ended. And that doesn't even begin to go where the 7M-GTE could go.