YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Turbo! (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/turbo-305517/)

86overland 08-28-2018 10:53 AM

Turbo!

I want to turbo my 22r with the lce turbo kit would it be possible for a garage mechanic to do with intermediate skills? I dont know what would be easier. Turning the 22r into a 22re or just sticking with the carb.

wyoming9 08-28-2018 11:59 AM

The money you spend to do this a 3.4 swap gives more of every thing in a stock engine.

22R/Re engines are very expensive to build a little horse power .

figure out just what you really need .

How is your truck going to be used ??

86overland 08-28-2018 12:14 PM

I'm building it for over land and to learn mechanics (I'm 19) I only use it for camping and hunting but want to explore the world of turbos and engine building. I cant really afford a whole new engine but my thinking is spend a grand and make it 22re get that running good then spend 2000 and turbo it. I dont really have the supplies needed to do a whole different engine swap such as welding and putting the new complex wiring harness in.

superex87 08-28-2018 04:41 PM

For the total amount you are looking to spend you can definitely afford to swap in the 3.4. There are company's that sell every conversion part you will need including the wire harness. In the process of swapping in anew engine you will increase the value and reliability of the truck as well as learn many new skills.
Welding is an excellent skill to learn and is a very important part of being a mechanic.
Beside no one makes an affordable turbo manifold for the 22re. The cheapest quality manifold is 700$.
The next major hurdle with a turbo 22re in engine management. Mega squirt makes a plug and play ecu but it requires a full 22re engine harness with all sensors to work and is close to 1k.
If you still want to do a turbo setup I would swap in a 1 or 2jz. Or you can turbo the 3.4.

86overland 08-28-2018 04:57 PM

Any recommendations on where to get the engine and harness

superex87 08-29-2018 11:48 AM

Your best bet is a truck that has been wrecked in the rear or side. Second best is buying everything from some one who is parting a truck out. Last would be an engine importer. Although it is tempting to jump right to an importer, the hem engines had some different sensors and wiring from the ecu. All so emissions are significantly different. Where are you located?

old87yota 08-29-2018 08:48 PM

:coffee:

What exactly are your end goals for this engine and project?

If you are looking strictly for more power, a 5VZ-E (3.4L) or other engine swap would get you that power for less than trying to heavily modify a 22R or 22R-E.

However, if you don't mind the lack of power of a 22R or 22R-E and want to do the turbo for the experience, than the 22R / 22R-E project could be fun. You have to sink quite a bit of money to make the 22R / 22R-E pretty powerful.

Before just jumping in on this project, do your research on this site and others to see what you really want to do. Spend lots of time researching turbo conversions and engine swaps and see what is involved with both.

:safari:

Kolton5543 08-29-2018 09:42 PM

x2 on a 3.4 swap. It might seem intimidating and expensive at first but once you really start shopping around for parts you'll quickly find a swap is the cheaper solution. You usually can't get away with just bolting a turbo kit on a N/A motor and have it work perfectly. There will be lots of tuning and engine management upgrades that will be needed to make a 22r reach near stock 3.4 power. If a n/a 3.4 isn't enough power then good luck ever getting a 22r to reach your expectations. You can always boost a 3.4 and they handle it very well. Of course anything more boost than a stock supercharger will require fuel upgrades and engine management.

If you really want to learn about working on cars hands on then the best way is no doubt an engine swap like this. Its more involved than like a chevy swap 305 to 350 but its simple enough it can be easily learned still. The knowledge you'll gain from this can be way more beneficial to real world situations too. You'll learn more about the functionality of electricity. If you intend to work on anything modern then that's about as important as it gets. Don't let wires intimidate you. If you truly are interested enough in learning then you'll spend huge amounts of time researching. Pretty much everything you'll ever need to know is available on the internet. You just gotta find it. Sit down and start reading. The more the better.