Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck stalls out after 30 Secs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck stalls out after 30 Secs!!!

This is my first post...

I recently purchased an '88 Toyota Pickup, 193,000 miles, Ran good. I had the head rebuilt first thing when I got the truck. ANYWAY, I was on my way to work one morning when it just cut off. I came to the conclusion that it was the fuel pump. When I tested it, it didn't work, so I felt pretty sure. I replaced the pump with a Denso race pump I had in the closet, because I'm working with a LOW budget, and I had this for my WRX.

I replaced the bad one with the Denso, and it wouldn't work. Turns out the relay was bad, and so the pump wasn't getting power. So I ran it to an aux. switch in the cab, and it ran like a charm for a week. Then, same thing. So, I assumed the fuel filter was clogged, and burning out my fuel pumps...

So I got my taxes back, and went ahead and got a new AC Delco OEM fuel pump, fuel filter, new plugs(in case it ran rich and fouled any of them) New plug cables, new distributor rotor, new distributor cap, new fuel pressure regulator, new air filter, a new fuel pump relay, and some fuel system cleaner.

NOW, I have unhooked the AUX switch for the fuel pump, and returned it to the relay and the ignition, just like stock. When I crank the truck, it will run GREAT for 30 seconds, you can rev it and everything. But when I put my ear on the gas tank for the 30 secs, it sounds like 10 secs of regular, normal fuel pump running. Then, it begins to get louder, and faster continually until it's screaming loud enough for the neighbors to hear, and it floods the truck out...I bought an O2 sensor, but I can't get the nuts from the old one off...

HOWEVER, what is some input from you guys? I was thinking O2 sensor, or MAF, but both are expensive, and I don't know what I should be looking for. I'm not throwing any CEL's or anything like that. The truck has completed a couple 2-3 hour trips, with ease. Ideas?

Last edited by williedrumr36; 04-15-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
The fuel pump can't "flood the truck out." The Fuel pressure regulator controls the pressure to the injectors, no matter what the pump is doing.

One possibility is a clogged tank intake. The pump will run for 10 seconds until it sucks the crap over the tank filter, than it up-pitches (screams) until it is no longer pumping fuel. But with all the recent changes you've done, this is little more than a guess.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
The fuel pump can't "flood the truck out." The Fuel pressure regulator controls the pressure to the injectors, no matter what the pump is doing.

One possibility is a clogged tank intake. The pump will run for 10 seconds until it sucks the crap over the tank filter, than it up-pitches (screams) until it is no longer pumping fuel. But with all the recent changes you've done, this is little more than a guess.
So lets say I checked the tank intake, and it's new as new can be... Then where should I look? The truck is in the driveway, and won't run longer than 30 sec, or else I would take it to the toyota dealership, but I HAVE to have the truck by THURSDAY. I am going on leave (Marine Corps), and I need to drive the truck home. Any ideas would be helpful...
Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
1. Download the 88 FSM*.
2. Check for DTCs using a paperclip.
3. See FSM for details on what to do if there are any(electrical causes), and what to do if there aren't(mechanical causes).

*If it's a V6, refer to this FSM.