Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Truck had a poor 22re to 22r swap need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck had a poor 22re to 22r swap need help

I have a 91 toyota I bought for a toy truck it came with 22re efi but they had swapped it with a 22r carb from a older truck. Doesn't look to be done exaftly right and has to have a switch to turn fuel off and on that's running striaght from the battery. And just did plugs, wires, oil change, clean fuel tank and checked lines, also changed PCv valve and changed dist. Cap and rot button. Ran good but had a bump in the idle. Drive t for a week with no problems. Then parked it one night now will try and start but won't fire just floods, has tried to fire a couple times and even started once but quickly died out. Any suggestions would be great. Have the Haynes magazine but doesn't tell a good spot to start without sinking a lot of money as I didn't give much for the truck don't want to dump 100s in it trying to fix when someone might now easier and cheaper things to start checking.

91 22r 4wd 5spd single cab.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by bclynch69
I have a 91 toyota I bought for a toy truck it came with 22re efi but they had swapped it with a 22r carb from a older truck. Doesn't look to be done exaftly right and has to have a switch to turn fuel off and on that's running striaght from the battery. And just did plugs, wires, oil change, clean fuel tank and checked lines, also changed PCv valve and changed dist. Cap and rot button. Ran good but had a bump in the idle. Drive t for a week with no problems. Then parked it one night now will try and start but won't fire just floods, has tried to fire a couple times and even started once but quickly died out. Any suggestions would be great. Have the Haynes magazine but doesn't tell a good spot to start without sinking a lot of money as I didn't give much for the truck don't want to dump 100s in it trying to fix when someone might now easier and cheaper things to start checking.

91 22r 4wd 5spd single cab.
sounds like the float is stuck in the down position. if they are still using the original fuel pump and DO NOT have an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator installed then the needle and seat just cant stand the excessive fuel pressure.

a carb on a small engine doesnt need more than 3-4 psi. i think the original pump puts out 40+ psi.

then again, it might be something as simple as a bit of trash in the needle and seat preventing the needle from seating and shutting off fuel flow.

btw, you have my dream engine swap. i have the 22re and have had a bunch of injection problems. it's running good now but i'd much prefer a carbed engine.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by otter5555
sounds like the float is stuck in the down position. if they are still using the original fuel pump and DO NOT have an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator installed then the needle and seat just cant stand the excessive fuel pressure.

a carb on a small engine doesnt need more than 3-4 psi. i think the original pump puts out 40+ psi.

then again, it might be something as simple as a bit of trash in the needle and seat preventing the needle from seating and shutting off fuel flow.

btw, you have my dream engine swap. i have the 22re and have had a bunch of injection problems. it's running good now but i'd much prefer a carbed engine.
Id say there isnt anything aftermarket on it so i would say it doesnt have a fuel pressure regulator. where would i look at the to see if something is wrong with the float, to see if something is wrong with the needle or the seat. I dont have much experience with carb trucks as this is my first one.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:26 PM

if you've never had a carb apart, take it to a mechanic. you can easily install a pressure regulator yourself.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:40 PM

if you've never had a carb apart, take it to a mechanic. you can easily install a pressure regulator yourself.
only problem is it wont start so can i take the carb off and take it to the mechanic is that something thats easily done or should i just tow it there?
Old 06-27-2014, 06:23 PM

if you have (or can get) the service manual for a carbed 22r you can remove the carb and take it to a mechanic. its really easy.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:36 PM

if you have (or can get) the service manual for a carbed 22r you can remove the carb and take it to a mechanic. its really easy.
So you think that's why it won't start or at least a good place to start
Old 06-28-2014, 03:43 AM

So you think that's why it won't start or at least a good place to start

if its flooded, it wont start

look at the plugs. if they are wet, its flooded
Old 06-28-2014, 06:24 AM

if its flooded, it wont start

look at the plugs. if they are wet, its flooded
I know that much but it's been days and I've let it sit to get unflooded and I've checked all the plugs I even replaced 3 of them. Not saying the carb isn't messed up but I don't think the reason it's not starting is because it's flooded it keeps flooding and not wanting to fire for some reason.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:36 AM

I know that much but it's been days and I've let it sit to get unflooded and I've checked all the plugs I even replaced 3 of them. Not saying the carb isn't messed up but I don't think the reason it's not starting is because it's flooded it keeps flooding and not wanting to fire for some reason.
ck the fire. pull a plug. ground the tip to the head or valve over. get someone to spin it over. you can see the fire.

if you got no fire its time to take the whole trk to the shop.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:00 AM

ck the fire. pull a plug. ground the tip to the head or valve over. get someone to spin it over. you can see the fire.

Ok thanks. What if I get fire what's the step?
Old 06-28-2014, 12:04 PM

Went out this morning to try and work on it but figured id try starting it just for the hell of it. And it fired and ran for a about 3 seconds and was even able to rev it then it die out and wouldnt start back. It had an oil leak prior to all this i think this was due to the poor engine swap looks like the used some red gunk to seal the pan to the block but now its leaking gas/oil mix and i know its gas and not water like a blown head gasket because i can smell the strong smell of fuel. Any ideas what this could be or if it came from over flooding the truck out and cylinder full of fuel and when i let it sit that its drained down them and seaped into the oil pan?
Old 06-28-2014, 07:21 PM

Went out this morning to try and work on it but figured id try starting it just for the hell of it. And it fired and ran for a about 3 seconds and was even able to rev it then it die out and wouldnt start back. It had an oil leak prior to all this i think this was due to the poor engine swap looks like the used some red gunk to seal the pan to the block but now its leaking gas/oil mix and i know its gas and not water like a blown head gasket because i can smell the strong smell of fuel. Any ideas what this could be or if it came from over flooding the truck out and cylinder full of fuel and when i let it sit that its drained down them and seaped into the oil pan?

if you have fire the carb needs to go to the shop

if you have gas in the oil, it must be changed or your bearings will be toast.,
Old 06-28-2014, 07:31 PM

if you have fire the carb needs to go to the shop

if you have gas in the oil, it must be changed or your bearings will be toast.,
Yeah it won't start so I def won't try again until after I change it. Idk it was a bad gasket on the oil pan or what because it's got like red apoxy looking stuff all the way around and what would cause oil in there like that. Could it be from flooding it 3 or 4 days in a row or is it something bad. But I'll def take the carb off and have it looked at.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:34 PM

leaking gaskets are simply leaking gaskets and must eventually be repaired correctly. i will not stand for any leaks on my vehicles.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:30 PM

Yeah I'll def put a new gasket on it when I change the oil for sure. Just want to fix the gas in my oil problem first so I'll have the carb out and take it to get looked at