Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Truck back from shop now transmission lurches/jolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck back from shop now transmission lurches/jolts

Got my 4Runner back from the shop for the engine work. Now I have a new annoying problem to deal with.

I noticed something strange right away. When I shift from Park to Reverse or to Drive, it really jolts the vehicle. It lurches hard. I also noticed that when it kickes into overdrive it bucks a little harder than usual.

This is not the way it shifted before I dropped it off, it struck me as odd right away. I was in a hurry to get home when I left (had a meeting I was required to attend) and called the shop on my way home about it.

They told me to check the idle. It was set at 800 RPM, so that's not it. I checked the tranny fluid level and it was fine.

I adjusted the throttle cable, both directions and it didn't have any affect at all on the jolting/lurching.

They said they put everything back the way it was. I told them that it was NOT shifting right and I was bringing it back in. I live a couple of hours away from the mechanic so I have to take a day off of work and burn more gas to get it back Monday. At 7:00 am me and the shop guy are going for a ride and I am staying there until they make it right.

Any ideas on what this would be? Factory service manual says "hard/rough engagement" to check throttle cable adjustment, but my adjustments didn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks all.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I think you got the right idea...they screwed it up, they should fix it. Stand firm and be nice.

Why so far away from your mechanic?

Old 04-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

you wouldn't believe how hard it is where I live to find even semi competent people to work on Toyotas.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine does it regularly and has for a while. My dad took his taco in and they said it was normal, his was under warranty. If u get any info on the condition please post.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Well mine did not do this before I took it in. For the repair it was in for they had to drop the transmission and the front transfer case, oil pan, and so somewhere along the way they did not get it back together 100% correctly.

This was not normal for me previous to the repair.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Well my Toyota internet guru gave me a suggestion on adjusting the throttle pressure cable, and what do you know. It worked. No more jolting/lurching into gear.

My manual says to adjust the cable with throttle open so that there is 1mm of space between the stopper and the rubber boot on the cable.

My guru said to adjust it with throttle closed. Pull back the rubber boot so you can see the stopper and adjust it to 1mm from the cable housing. I did it and it worked.

Smooth as silk again.

Still wish I had a manual though.

Still got a slight leak of oil though. Not coming from pan, doesn't appear to be coming from rear main that was just replaced. hmmmm
Old 04-29-2006, 05:56 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Glad you got it fixed...but the mechanic that did the repair work should have had things adjusted properly to begin with. I'd be sure to relay what fixed the problem to him.

A FSM is worth its weight in gold. I have a hardcopy I purchased and a PDF copy so I can print out pages if I need them so I don't trash my hardcopy while working in the shop. They are on Ebay for under $100 all the time...and strap22 put up a link for where to buy them straight up somewhere on here too.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Brian,

I agree about letting them know. Since I have already requested work off for that day I will still be going in because I found a couple of misc. bolts that they failed to tighten down (exhaust clamp, etc).

Like I said it is difficult where I live to find people who will work on Toyotas. In my town I would call people up and as soon as I mentioned it was a toyota they would say "We don't work on foreign cars!" and hang up.

FSM are great. I can use the online hosted on another site for free!
Old 04-29-2006, 11:25 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by gohawks
you wouldn't believe how hard it is where I live to find even semi competent people to work on Toyotas.
I totally believe your statement. I have family in Cedar Rapids, and I swear all the trucks out there are big gas guzzling domestics. That is what my cousin drives, and man is he proud of it! Glad the problem is fixed.

PS. And yes, he flies the confederate flag.

Last edited by Bobakazi; 04-29-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:57 AM

Mine was shifting hard between gears and into overdirve since I got it! Tanny shop said I needed a rebuild I adjusted the pressure cable and now it shifts smooth as silk!