YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Transmission Whining in 3rd & 5th (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/transmission-whining-3rd-5th-97833/)

knowjesus 10-23-2006 07:42 AM

Transmission Whining in 3rd & 5th

Newbie to the site here from NE Georgia. I've had 5 '87-88 Toyota 4wds in the past few yrs and this is the 1st one that has done this. Just bought it recently. 1987 Regular cab 4wd with 5 spd tranny. Only has 105K original miles on the truck!! Tranny whines bad in 3rd gear and real bad in 5th gear. Gets louder the faster you go. Doesn't whine until "under a load" going down the road. Shifts fine into these gears and all other gears sound/shift great.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Money is real tight right now but this truck is so nice that I want to get it fixed or find another tranny.

What year 5 spds will fit this truck if I need to find another tranny? A friend has a '93 5spd I can have with only 130K on it. Will it work?
Thanks!

Flash319 10-23-2006 08:28 AM

Your input bearing is going on the trans. I have had 3 go like that. It will get worse and then start popping out of gear. The 93 will work but you will have to cut the floor a bit as the G-56 shifters are about 4inches ahead of the W-56. Not a big deal. You will also have to swap the 2 sensors with the ones from your 87. One is in the trans and the other is in the transfer case. They just screw in the side. Everything else is the same.

rezrunner92 10-23-2006 10:07 AM

If you have a bearing noise in several gears and it seems to disappear in fourth, you most likely have a bad input bearing. Not a big deal to replace but if it were mine I would go ahead and swap it and have the bearings and synchros replaced for a spare tranny.

knowjesus 10-23-2006 05:05 PM

Thanks for the quick replies, anyone else have an idea of what the problem may be?? Just trying to get several opinions before I make a move.

Asha'man 10-23-2006 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by rezrunner92 (Post 1020379)
If you have a bearing noise in several gears and it seems to disappear in fourth, you most likely have a bad input bearing. Not a big deal to replace but if it were mine I would go ahead and swap it and have the bearings and synchros replaced for a spare tranny.

Mine does that. By input bearing you mean the pilot bearing?

rezrunner92 10-24-2006 05:32 AM

Not the pilot bearing and not the throw out bearing. The input bearing is the one that is in the front of the transmission case with the input shaft sticking through it. There should be a cover over it that the front transmission oil seal is in.

Asha'man 10-24-2006 11:02 PM

D'oh my bad, I know what you mean now. Hard to replace on these trannies?

Bear80 10-24-2006 11:20 PM

3rd and 5th are on the counter shaft. the counter shaft bearings are always first ones to complain. even with relatively low miles, they PO probably ran larger tires on it with out re-gearing.