Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Transmission Solenoids

Old 10-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Transmission Solenoids

My overdrive went out in my 4runner and my best guess is that the solenoids are messed up. It seems to be a pretty common problem with the auto. Can someone point me in a direction to get the full set of them online? In a thread long long ago i heard you could get them from Axiom but id like to try and find another place online first. The tards at Autozone and Advance look at me like im stupid so might as well just try and find them online. Im looking for all 4. might as well replace them while im down there.

Edit: Some sites i have looked online have the A340H but they list the parts as being for the Izuzu or the Jeep. Im guessing these parts would not work on my toyota correct?

Last edited by Kyle95sr5; 10-21-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

anyone?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Kyle, those things are pretty expensive to be replacing all of them on a guess. I would suggest following the diagnostic and testing proceedures in your FSM.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are you?

East Coast West Coast?

I got a number you can call Monday morning. But I agree with goat.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

mtgoat - Hmmm, i guess you are right. I was just following the common problem that seemed to plague are automatics. Ive got the FSM link but i honestly have no idea how to check any of that. Heres the link http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...34electron.pdf My problem is labeled as Trouble No.3 No up-shift to overdrive (after warm up). Is there a lamens terms to this or can u just explain it a little better?

rezrunner - Im on the east coast in NC.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:17 PM

oh cool, I am in SC just below Charlotte. (Duhhhhhhh now I see it on your Avatar.) My supplier in Charlotte has them, I can check for you Monday or if you know anyone with a retail license I have their numbers.

The solenoid for shifting is just a regular on/off switch type. I don't have the manual to see which one it is but, if you know which one controls overdrive you can take it off the truck and blow through it while applying battery voltage to the terminals. It should click and be either fully closed or fully open.

Last edited by rezrunner92; 10-21-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you sure its your overdrive? or is it your torque converter not locking up..
Old 10-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

I wont have my 4runner back until Monday. Ill search around more and see if i cant find the solenoid for overdrive and ill do as u say and check it out. Id appreciate it if you could find me a price for it and get back to me monday. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

fellow Kyle, im honestly not sure which one it is. All my other gears work fine. I can shift manually through all of them or if i just stick it and drive and go they all work. The only gear its messing up in is overdrive. It has only shifted into overdrive once over the whole week and that was goin to the store about 15 minutes away, shutting it off, and heading off again. It shifted through all the gears fine, went into overdrive for about 5 seconds then shifted back out of it again.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle95sr5
My overdrive went out in my 4runner and my best guess is that the solenoids are messed up. It seems to be a pretty common problem with the auto. Can someone point me in a direction to get the full set of them online? In a thread long long ago i heard you could get them from Axiom but id like to try and find another place online first. The tards at Autozone and Advance look at me like im stupid so might as well just try and find them online. Im looking for all 4. might as well replace them while im down there.

Edit: Some sites i have looked online have the A340H but they list the parts as being for the Izuzu or the Jeep. Im guessing these parts would not work on my toyota correct?
they might work, but i wouldn't try with out doing your home work. jeep cherokee 87-01 uses the aw-4 which is very similiar to the 4runner trans. and both are made by the same company. if rezrunner92's hook up falls through try the dealer. i don't think i would trust to many others with transmission parts.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Kyle95sr5
fellow Kyle, im honestly not sure which one it is. All my other gears work fine. I can shift manually through all of them or if i just stick it and drive and go they all work. The only gear its messing up in is overdrive. It has only shifted into overdrive once over the whole week and that was goin to the store about 15 minutes away, shutting it off, and heading off again. It shifted through all the gears fine, went into overdrive for about 5 seconds then shifted back out of it again.
Another possibility is the coolant temp sender, since the computer won't shift into OD if the coolant isn't hot or the computer doesn't know it's hot.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:15 AM

kyle, do this real quick before you even start getting into your tranny. unplug the vaccuum hose from the top of your EGR valve and stick a screw in it. go for a quick drive and let me know if it works. my TC wouldn't lock up for the longest time and it was because of a stuck open EGR valve. i found the solution by accident when i was reading on here about people bypassing the egr system.

Last edited by 95RunnerSR5; 10-22-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Just guessing (from the location you list) that it hasn't gotten that cold lately. Still, a common problem with the autos is that the engine does not warm up properly or the computer does not recognize that the engine has warmed up. Either way, the computer will not let the tranny shift into OD. I'd check the thermostat and coolant temp sensor before I started tearing apart a tranny. It's an afternoon's worth of work versus a week's worth.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:17 PM

That's true about the temp switch. It takes mine a couple of miles to change into overdrive when cold.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:31 AM

I have been having a similar problem with my 86 4runner with the auto tranny and 22re. I have gone through the fsm for the tranny numerous times. The way the tranny works is it has 4 solinoids. 1 works the transfer case 1 works the lock out and the other two work the normal shifting of the gears. The two that work the gears are on and off in different combinations to control what gear you are in and the overdrive. I belive both are off for the truck to goin to overdrive. Anyway the point is if all of your other gears work fine it is not the solinoids causing the problem. Thats basically where I am stuck as well. Mine seems to shift into overdrive on its own but the O/D button does nothing. Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ramrugby09
I have been having a similar problem with my 86 4runner with the auto tranny and 22re. I have gone through the fsm for the tranny numerous times. The way the tranny works is it has 4 solinoids. 1 works the transfer case 1 works the lock out and the other two work the normal shifting of the gears. The two that work the gears are on and off in different combinations to control what gear you are in and the overdrive. I belive both are off for the truck to goin to overdrive. Anyway the point is if all of your other gears work fine it is not the solinoids causing the problem. Thats basically where I am stuck as well. Mine seems to shift into overdrive on its own but the O/D button does nothing. Any ideas?
Good point!
Old 10-23-2006, 03:42 PM

Long shot, but the TPS can foul up shifting.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:29 PM

i got a set from transtar. there is a link up here somewhere some listed distributors, all 3 cost me 150. if you goto the dealer there 100 bucks a peice.....btw it just so happens that i have them in my old tranny becuase i swapped in a 5 speed. they are used and 75 shipped u can have em
Old 10-23-2006, 04:30 PM

also a very helpfull link
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start...kKgafFnsH0xq0=
Old 10-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

solenoids are on my long list of things to check, but defiently near the top. Assuming they are in good working order, anyway u can hold them for me until i can find out for sure?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Solenoids