YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Transmission Bolts to Engine (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/transmission-bolts-engine-307531/)

J-Yota918 04-23-2019 07:12 PM

Transmission Bolts to Engine

1987 Toyota Pickup 22r 4x4 5 speed.
So my truck's transmission went out a while back and I'm in the final stages of putting it all together. Unfortunately, transmission and engine being bolted together is causing a lot of issue. My bottom bolts are in and will thread all the way. On the exhaust/driver side, the bolt will thread all the way. On my starter/passenger side, my two bolts wont thread all the way and spin freely after so much turning. I cant get the top two. I'm trying to figure out the best way to put them back in that works the best. I wanted to get the top and bottom in first then work on the side bolts but the top is proving to be impossible to start. And could I have strept the threads on the side bolts that spin freely after going turning so many times? Thanks in advance for the help. Hoping to be on the road within the week.

ev13wt 04-23-2019 10:53 PM

Remove the transmission again. Easiest using a engine hoist in the cab. Be wary of windows.
Run each bolt in and out once. Chase each thread with a tap of you find any sticky ones.

Maybe you forgot the engine / transmission brace?

I have had issues with transmission bolts were there was a lot of abuse. The case and the bolt stretched, making it impossible to use that bolt in another hole. Not the ones that go into the engine though.

To get at the top bolts, either raise the transmission and engine after other bolts are in so you have room, or actually lower the entire thing 5 -6 inches so you can get to them with a 3 extensions.

bearcat2 04-24-2019 05:51 AM

The top ones suck, that is all there is to it. If you can get your fingers in there to get them started then with a trannny jack you can raise and lower the transmission quite a bit to flex it some to see where it is best to get your particular wrench or ratchet in there. Last time I did one I had a bright idea and bought a ratchet wrench set at Harbor Freight, which would have worked great except. . . the head of the ratchet wrench was too bulky and hit one of the fins on the tranny so I couldn't get it on the bolt. Possibly a better brand of ratchet wrench would be less bulky, I don't know. You can get a regular wrench or a 3/8 drive ratchet and short socket on from the top, but you don't have much throw room. A stubby would likely be useful if you had one.

ev13wt 04-24-2019 01:03 PM

Are they 17mm?
The Hazet 606-17 works great

keycw 04-24-2019 01:10 PM

I just finished installing a new W56 in my 87 runner, my two top bolts were different lengths slightly, I think I remember the top drover being the longer? maybe check the lengths. none should spin free obviously, I know this is a silly question but are you sure you have the correct bolts in the corresponding holes?

ev13wt 04-25-2019 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by keycw (Post 52422698)
I just finished installing a new W56 in my 87 runner, my two top bolts were different lengths slightly, I think I remember the top drover being the longer? maybe check the lengths. none should spin free obviously, I know this is a silly question but are you sure you have the correct bolts in the corresponding holes?

Always buy new bolts if possible. Then it's always correct!

keycw 04-25-2019 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ev13wt (Post 52422727)
Always buy new bolts if possible. Then it's always correct!

most people will not go through a dealer just for bolts, and in my experience its not always easy going to a generic hardware store and getting those larger diameter metric thread bolts. especially the 17mm ones.