Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Transmission bad? Or needing rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission bad? Or needing rebuilt?

So the transmission on my 89 pickup 22re with 165,xxx and with I believe a w56 transmission has been giving me some trouble: it is difficult to get into reverse, the shifting feels really sloppy and rough and feels like the gears are grinding almost when I put it into each gear, also shifting into second is really bad and sometimes takes a while to shift into the second gear and i can hear the gears or something "chipping" kinda? And sometimes when I'm in third gear and hit a bump in the road it will pop out of third and also I can take it out of third without pushing the clutch in, and ever since I got the truck I havn't ever been able to downshift into second without it popping out. I know nothing about transmissions and was wondering if its the actual gears in the transmission or if it just needs to be rebuilt with a transmission rebuild kit like marlin offers. What would you suggest? Get the whole transmission rebuilt, try and rebuild it myself with a rebuild kit, or just buy a rebuilt tranny off of craigslist? BTW I just changed my clutch ~1500 miles ago and right after the clutch change it felt like butter when shifting so IDK??
Old 01-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Try this before you rebuild or replace your transmission.

-change the fluid to a nice syth, like redline mt90 or amsoil synth tranny fluid.
-Get the marlin crawler shifter seat and bushing.

As for your reverse problem. Here are a few tips on getting it "in" easier.

If it just DOESNT want to go in, try to roll the truck forward or backward a few inches. If it STILL doesnt, try letting the clutch out a LITTLE. Oh and one more thing, I have noticed it shifts into reverse alot better if you shift into a forward gear first.

For example when I need to use reverse I will shift into 2nd then reverse. Works perfect 95% of the time
Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
X2

Sounds like a classic case of shifter bushing sickness. Common among aging manual transmissions.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:54 PM

Try this before you rebuild or replace your transmission.

-change the fluid to a nice syth, like redline mt90 or amsoil synth tranny fluid.

As for your reverse problem. Here are a few tips on getting it "in" easier.

If it just DOESNT want to go in, try to roll the truck forward or backward a few inches. If it STILL doesnt, try letting the clutch out a LITTLE. Oh and one more thing, I have noticed it shifts into reverse alot better if you shift into a forward gear first.

For example when I need to use reverse I will shift into 2nd then reverse. Works perfect 95% of the time
Thanks for the advice, I usually run it through first and second and third and then and into reverse and that works everytime, as for the synthetic tranny fluid would I have to put synthetic in the t-case also? and the shifter seat wasn't broken when I replaced the clutch and removed the shifters but maybe its just worn down I'll look into that also thanks!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Thanks for the advice, I usually run it through first and second and third and then and into reverse and that works everytime, as for the synthetic tranny fluid would I have to put synthetic in the t-case also? and the shifter seat wasn't broken when I replaced the clutch and removed the shifters but maybe its just worn down I'll look into that also thanks!
I run full synthetic drivetrain fluids, my yota loves me for it

My shifter seat looked mint actually(the socket was a little worn), I was really doubting any difference when I put the marlin one in... boy was I wrong!!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:12 PM

I run full synthetic drivetrain fluids, my yota loves me for it

My shifter seat looked mint actually(the socket was a little worn), I was really doubting any difference when I put the marlin one in... boy was I wrong!!
Thanks I took your advice and ordered the shifter seat and socket last night, hopefully that fixes it or It'll probably end up being cheaper to buy a re-built tranny off of craigslist than having it rebuilt...