YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Tranny (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/tranny-129739/)

Justinvd 11-13-2007 03:23 PM

Tranny

1988 4runner, Automatic 22R-E

Well my tranny has seen better days and i am not about to slap another automatic in. I cant really find any too detailed threads but if i had a complete standard 88 parts runner could i bolt the tranny and transfer case right in and then install the clutch? any input or links to other threads and write ups would be great thanks.

rowdy235 11-13-2007 03:30 PM

You got most of it. You will also need a different flywheel for a stick, those will run ~$200. Also, if not done right your computer will throw codes like crazy, you need to rig the computer to make it think the Automatic is in neutral, so it will warm up properly. I assume it has manual locking hubs?

Justinvd 11-13-2007 03:33 PM

Yeah manual hubs. I couldn't get the computer and flywheel out of the parts truck? haha the only thing i havn't modified on my truck is the engine tranny and transfer case so its about time.

rowdy235 11-13-2007 03:36 PM

yea if you had the computer and flywheel then you'd be golden. Sorry, didn't see part about parts truck. Might as well get the flywheel resurfaced while its out. Wouldn't hurt to do the clutch while its there. Probably would change the tranny gear lube if its been sitting, or I'd probably do it anyway. Redline synthetic GL4 80W-90 is what I used.

PS good riddance for getting rid of the slush box.

Justinvd 11-13-2007 03:46 PM

so would the computer out of the standard hook up the same as the auto computer or would i have alot of complex wiring on my hands? Electronics isn't my strongest point, i leave that to my freinds.

Justinvd 11-13-2007 10:08 PM

Any help would be great, i am scared to go too far from home incase my transmission just conks out :chairfall . I am going to a special import salvage yard this weekend so if i can get this figured out i can get the complete parts truck they have and put it in. Otherwise i will be staying auto :saw: :bang:

gametom 11-13-2007 10:33 PM

i just picked up a brand new flywheel for a 22re from napa for $68 and marlin crawler has them for under a hundred.

thook 11-13-2007 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Justinvd (Post 50668152)
so would the computer out of the standard hook up the same as the auto computer or would i have alot of complex wiring on my hands? Electronics isn't my strongest point, i leave that to my freinds.

The auto transmission is controlled by feedback from the electronics of the system (coolant temp sensor, tps, vacuum and switches, etc.), not the other way around. So, in other words, the motor would still operate the way it should with auto gone....even though you'll still get CEL codes because there's no auto home. However, there are switches at the shifter and brake pedal for ignition that would have to be dealt with. Maybe soldering in a resistor that would fool the ECU would work. Afterall, it all works on electronic voltage and restistance. But, how possible it is or effective it is I couldn't tell you.

Nevertheless.....
The auto ECU has a few more terminals than the 5spd. So, the connectors are different. Can you not get complete wiring harnesses from the part vehicle? That would be the way to go.

Justinvd 11-17-2007 01:45 PM

Yeah i prolly could, but if it wer gross or damaged do you think i could get one at a parts store or something?maybe get one made up?