86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trail Gear gm alt bracket broke, alt belt snapped, alt making noise now

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Trail Gear gm alt bracket broke, alt belt snapped, alt making noise now

So the trailer gear alternator bracket I bought to mount the gm alternator snapped at the weld (seems to be common with them smh). It then burnt up the alternator belt and snapped it and almost I overheated. Got a taxi to auto zone and back, limped home on a cheap belt.

I Fab'd up a brace for the alternator bracket.. after getting everything bolted back together the alternator has this whirring / whining noise now (see below), does anyone know exactly what it is? Do I just need to take the alternator apart and clean it, rebuild it, is it toast? I've done a couple tests with the multi meter, although I'm an amateur with it, everything seemed OK except it measured .030 or something AC volts.. I was told it should be 0. I've driven it to town and back with no issues, but the noise is pretty loud in the driveway and drive thru..

Here's what it sounds like

https://youtu.be/TkpqsB3cdaE
Old 05-16-2019, 06:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Well I JB Weld'd the Trail Gear bracket where it broke (at the weld) and it held up for a few weeks, now it just broke AGAIN but in a DIFFERENT place! Right in the center of the half inch 'steel' plate! What a piece of ****!

I emailed Trail Gear the first time it broke and they never replied! Just emailed them again let's see if they do now? SMH

I looked around on some threads and someone said there was a person on the forums selling the exact same bracket before Trail Gear was selling it and their company was called.... drum roll... TINBENDERS! Explains a lot! 😁😂

Last edited by Jakez; 05-16-2019 at 07:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (05-17-2019)