Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Toyota3.0 trouble

Old 10-31-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota3.0 trouble

I have had a problem with my 94 3.0 this is 2nd motor. The check engine light was on with previous motor but ran great. A 2nd motor was installed after 6yrs again check light remained on, but truck would lose power sometimes a pop noise. If you shut truck off and restarted it would run fine for a while, then problem would reappear again. I replaced 02 sensor,converter,and new fuel pump(old one died) there are no exhust leaks or cracks in manifold. No difference , My buddy suggested to replace ECM I got a used one from the bone yard it worked great truck ran pisser and check engine light went off. 3 wks ago after running great for about 4mnths the truck acted funny soon the engine light reapeared again same symptoms from before came back but a little worse and semi rough idle. I was advised to pull EFI fuse and disconnect ECM for 15 min and plug it back in. the chk engine light went out but truck ran no better. So for the hell of it I put the the original ECM back in engine light came back on and ran a little better but same symptoms as above once again shut truck off and restart it runs fine for a while I did a diagnostic test with a jumper wire te1-e1 I came up with numbers 27/14. #14 wiring ignition ECM module #27 wiring ho2s,ECM I am not a mechanic and don't claim to be but I can do some repairs I seriously need help here . Does anyone have any ideas what is going on or is it to my best interests to give it to a garage and let them deal with it , I not rich but who is. I really am tired of bangin my head into the wall over this PLEASE HELP

Last edited by Jonny246; 10-31-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I know you're using a phone to post your question, but punctuation, paragraph breaks, stuff like that will make it a lot easier to understand what you're asking. Heck, drop by the library and use one of their computers if you need to.

Code 27 is for the sub heated oxygen sensor. Is yours a California truck (two O2 sensors)? Did you get the wrong ECU? It's easy to fix in the usual case; while you could have a broken wire (you should always check for that), it's most likely an open heater in the sensor.

Code 14 is "IGF signal from igniter is not input to ECM for 6 consecutive ignitions." Could be a bad igniter, but could be an open in the wiring.

Alas, with swapped engines, swapped ECMs, and who knows what other modifications, we may not be of much help without being to "see the patient." There's no shame in taking your truck to a professional with the experience and tools to fix what ails you.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:10 PM

"ECM" comes before "EGR" alphabetically, but should not diagnostically.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
I know you're using a phone to post your question, but punctuation, paragraph breaks, stuff like that will make it a lot easier to understand what you're asking. Heck, drop by the library and use one of their computers if you need to.

Code 27 is for the sub heated oxygen sensor. Is yours a California truck (two O2 sensors)? Did you get the wrong ECU? It's easy to fix in the usual case; while you could have a broken wire (you should always check for that), it's most likely an open heater in the sensor.

Code 14 is "IGF signal from igniter is not input to ECM for 6 consecutive ignitions." Could be a bad igniter, but could be an open in the wiring.

Alas, with swapped engines, swapped ECMs, and who knows what other modifications, we may not be of much help without being to "see the patient." There's no shame in taking your truck to a professional with the experience and tools to fix what ails you.

Thank you. Scope 103. I checked replacement ECM its for Federal/Canadian Emissions.I checked the tag under the hood its says truck conforms with fedCanadian standards. It also said this vehicle cannot be sold in the State Of Ca or any other state that's has adopted the Ca clean air act. I replaced the Igniter the engine light went out much improvement in performance. But after about a mile or 2 the engine light reappeared and ran funny and then performance improved again engine light still on. I got the engine code#27. Now this is a used replacement motor that came out of a 94 4 runner. there are 2 meanings If it a 4runner 27 code means Heated Oxen sensor rear circuit. If a pickup code 27 means wiring ho25 ECM. The replacement ECM came out of a 94 4runner The ECM that's in the truck now that gave me the code 27 is the one originally replaced and then reinstalled Plus it looks like its been replaced by a previous owner at one time , It has ID markings on it from a salvage yard . I never had problems with the other engine, until this engine was installed I also discovered after truck was running I had a semi rough idle. I heard a hissing sound like vac leak coming from the left side of the motor where there are many vac hoses could this be the cause of the rough idle and coming up with the code27? Do you have any ideas why? But thanks for the advice about the Igniter that was the last thing I thought could be wrong And yeah my grammer sucks