Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Tire wear, wired noises & play help me figure it out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire wear, wired noises & play help me figure it out.

Ok where to start?

I'm getting excessive tire wear on the driver side front tire on the inside most part of the tire.

The upper ball joint is new, all tie rod ends are new. The only ball joint that is not new is the lower ball joint. A alignment was done after all were installed. I have been wheeling hard since could it just aligned again?

Also I am getting a weird noise while driving and turning right or when the weight of the vehicle is placed on the driver side of the vehicle is sounds like wub wub wub. The tire is not actually rubbing against anything.

Today I took the wheel off to try and find out what's causing the noise and the tire wear. There is no play when I tested to wheel bearing. I grabbed the tire while it was jacked off the ground at 12 o'clock and six and there is no play at all its very solid.

While searching this issue here on yota tech I found a few threads talking about the brass spindle bushing that goes dry and can cause a weird noise. So I decided to pull off the hub and try to inspect the bushing. Took off the retaining bolt and washer that mounts to the end of the CV shaft and also removed the c-clip and lock washer that holds the cv in in spindle. There seems to be quite a bit of play with the CV shaft inside the spindle and I'm wondering if this is normal?

I took a short video to help explain what I'm talking about.

[YOUTUBE]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nuY9kW4JsRY[/YOUTUBE]

Also the lower a-arm bushing seems to have a little play should this have any play?

Thanks

Chris

Last edited by LifterCatcher; 02-09-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Gonna be lazy and just ignore your 4wd bits, someone elsse will be along shortly.

Are you running stock rims? If not stock rims do they have the proper offset? When was the last time you had the alignment checked?

wubwubwub is usually a warped rotor rubbing a brake pad. Are your pads nice and flat with (semi) even wear?

Also the lower a-arm bushing seems to have a little play should this have any play?
And now you know why the alignment is out of spec. No it should be very firm. like 25% of the the vehicle weight firm and then some.

Replace the lower control arm bushing and take it for an alignment.

Also there are no specs given for that axel shaft end play, in my FSM in case you just wanted a second opinion. Again someone else will answer your 4wd question (Dry ...)
Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for the inner wear on the tire usually it means you might have a camber problem on the lower A arms it has 2 camber plates that should of been adjusted when you had it align just make sure you tell the guy doing it to do that too Thats if you still have the stock front suspension.As for the noise might be your Hub/bearings check it out
Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your wheel bearing in the video is definitely bad.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:47 PM

Hi guys first post here

I have what may be the same wub, wub noise and the colder it gets the louder and longer it seems to go for. I have replaced the bearings and I don't believe it's the brakes. The noise Is very loud and it is a wobble type of noise. It does not change in either 4x or 2 wheel drive during braking, acceleration or coasting. I suspect the transaxle but am brand new to toyotas and have no clue
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Have your tires balanced, or check for missing wheel weights. These are the cheap solutions. You'll need a specialty shop to rebalance a drive shaft, but those tend to cause a bit of vibration aswell as noise.

Who replaced the bearing, was the preload set proper? Can you feel the noise in your wheel or feet? Does it coincide with engine speed or tire speed? What drive train are we talking here since you don't say solid or ifs?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Have your tires balanced, or check for missing wheel weights. These are the cheap solutions. You'll need a specialty shop to rebalance a drive shaft, but those tend to cause a bit of vibration aswell as noise.

Who replaced the bearing, was the preload set proper? Can you feel the noise in your wheel or feet? Does it coincide with engine speed or tire speed? What drive train are we talking here since you don't say solid or ifs?
I have ifs The wheel bearings have done twice now. I set the preload to 12 lbs per my Haynes manual and used a tourque wrench. The noise starts at about 10 miles per hour and continues with increasing speed with the noise intensifiying. Then after a mile or two it will disappear completely and generally not start again until the truck is cold. It seems to me the colder the temprature is outside the more loud and intense the noise is.

There is no vibration through the wheel but there is a small vibration through the floor. It is very slight but it is there

I think I will take a video this morning since I now forced to take it to work. I did something insanely stupid yesterday with my chev 2500. I tried to change the door striker and the nut on the backside of the post fell into what can best be described as hell