Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

timing wont set and hesitation/miss

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing wont set and hesitation/miss

Ok well I had a long battle with my manifold getting cherry red. MY motor current has 3000miles on a rebuild and has basically everything new. Once this problem started the remaining things were replaced. The afm, 02, injectors, and set the tps. I ended up taking it in to the shop I always go to and they said they really couldn?t find anything wrong. The timing was set correctly but the exhaust would get hot!!! They ended up pulling out the distributor and said they thought it might have been 1 tooth off.

I come get the truck and am pleased to find the thing has power I never thought was possible. And it doesn?t get to hot anymore. After getting over the happiness it seems to have a miss and hesitates slightly but not all the time. It misses at idle. The miss is also most noticeable when off the throttle in second gear at around 3000 rpm.

I finally put the timing light on it and with the ports jumped it is at about 9 degrees btdc. I think ok ill just adjust it to spec and give it a try. I ended up turning the distributor all the way and it brought me to about 7 degrees WTF.

So now I am stuck. It really isn?t running bad at all but it bothers me and I know something is not right.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a 22RE? If you can't get your timing set to 5 degrees BTDC with the port jumped, then your it sounds like your distributer is off a tooth. Maybe you had it right and the guy you took it to made it wrong. I had the same problem after replacing my head gasket in January. To get the timing close, pull out the distributer, set the engine to TDC on the number 1 cylinder, then reinstall the distributer with the rotor pointing at 12 oclock. The rotor will rotate counterclockwise to about where it should be. Get the engine to normal temperature and then set the timing with the port jumped.

Rob