Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Timing is lost on my 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing is lost on my 3vze

Here is my current situation.
Having never done a HG in a 3.0 I missed a couple of useful steps in my tear down. I did not set #1 at TDC before I put the heads back on. The cams are not installed nor are the camshaft pulleys or timing belt, tensioner or water pump. What do I do to get time and not damage any valves in the process?
I also did not mark the distributor either.....
Please advise and thanks in advance. No timing pun intended.
M
Old 05-23-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Don't overthink it. Cams aren't installed. Valves are all closed. Just align the crankshaft timing pulley mark with the mark on the oil pump body. Or, if crankshaft pulley is already installed, align the mark on it with 0 on the no.1 timing belt cover. Continue timing belt install as instructed. After installing the WP, of course.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...67timingbe.pdf

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Worry about crossing the distributor bridge when you get to it.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-23-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:18 PM

Timing belt cover being the hard plastic cover with the numbers, 0 , 5 etc on it down at the crankshaft?
Does it matter if the number one is TDC at compression or exhaust stroke and how would one know?
Thx a lot.
M
Old 05-23-2014, 06:02 PM

Seeing as how I marked NADA on the distributor how does one install it?
Old 05-23-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Marcheetah
Timing belt cover being the hard plastic cover with the numbers, 0 , 5 etc on it down at the crankshaft?
Does it matter if the number one is TDC at compression or exhaust stroke and how would one know?
1. Yep, that's the one.

2. There is no compression or exhaust stroke, until you install the cams. Well, technically, every up stroke would be the compression stroke, and every down stroke would be the power stroke. But only in representation. Anyhow, we're straying of track again here. So just try not to think about that at the moment. Just do as I, and the FSM, say. For now. We'll get into the semantics of engine dynamics some other time.
Originally Posted by Marcheetah
Seeing as how I marked NADA on the distributor how does one install it?
Following a good set of instructions, of course. Typically those found in the FSM.

Like these:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...13distribu.pdf

And all of these:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

Hint: Once you've installed the camshafts and timing belt, as instructed per the manual, you'll be left with all the timing marks lined up, and the no.1 cylinder at TDC of the compression stroke. Then, if you simply leave it there, distributor installation will be easy as pie. And you don't really need to worry too much if you screw that part up, and lose track of the timing again(or rather, if you lose the timing for real, which you haven't yet). Since there are ways to find it again, without tearing things back apart. But again, that's a bridge to cross ONLY if/when you wind up on the wrong side of it.

And I'll keep a watchful eye out for word from you regarding that. Just in case you do end up in trouble there. No worries. I gotcha covered.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-23-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:26 AM

I have the PDF's you linked me to. These are going to be a big help. I really am appreciative of your help and patience. I have learned a lot about this and this forum and people like you have made a huge difference. I will update my progress and have a great day!
Marcheetah
Old 05-24-2014, 08:00 AM

I have re-installed the Crankshaft pulley and torqued it down. The mark on the oil pump housing and the sprocket match and the "o" degree is matched up with the damper. I plan on putting the new water pump on here in a bit and then going on further. Slow and steady with this process as I have my 3 year old boy asking me 12,000 questions while trying to keep up with him in the garage! AHHHHH! Is it too early to start drinking?
Old 05-24-2014, 02:55 PM

Hip,
Understanding that it is a directional belt but what if I put it on not realizing the importance of pre-printed marks on the belt, yet in the correct direction. I have only put the belt and the h-balancer and Torqued to spec and the outer pulley.
Thanks,

M
Old 05-24-2014, 03:12 PM

Direction doesn't matter, neither do any marks on the belt lining up. If that's what you're asking. Just put it on. Do the spin the crank from 0°/TDC to 0°/TDC 2x part, and make sure the cam timing pulley marks line up with the marks on the inner timing belt cover. If they do, put the outer cover on. Then move on to the rest.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-24-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:43 AM

Hip,
Does it matter that I put the thermostat, NEW, in and then the gasget and housing? I saw a diag you linked me to that had the gasket then the thermo and then the housing. Just don't want tohave a leak to deal with on when all done.

Mucho gracias!

M
Old 05-25-2014, 08:05 AM

Yes, that would probably matter. You need to install the gasket ON the thermostat first(thermostat fits inside the slot in the middle of the gasket). Then you install the thermostat(with the gasket already on it). Then you bolt the water inlet on.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:35 AM

Thanks man.
Glad we caught it before I went further. Little bit of hi temp sealer or no?

Marcheetah
Old 05-25-2014, 09:06 AM

No need for it. Just the rubber ring that goes on the t-stat seals everything up as good as it needs to be. I've never heard of one leaking, and/or needing more than that.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:41 PM

Hip,
Took care of the thermostat.
Cam shaft right side was at 2 o clock and I rotated it back to the tick marks on the cover. The left side was right at 12 o clock right on the tick.
The crank pully is spot on at the oil pump mark and on the cover at zero degrees.
After dinner planning on timing belt.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:16 PM

Having a beast of a time getting the belt back on over the tensioner. I seem to have the amount I need in slack back down between the crank and the left cam pully.
So I am not getting it tight enough to roll over the tensioner. Dang it.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:04 PM

I figured it out. Take the RH pully off and work it on.
Done for the night.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:14 PM

Sorry, I stepped out of the office for a minute there.

I think the trick is to not install the hydraulic tensioner until the belt is in place. But I've never done one with a hydraulic tensioner yet, to confirm whether or not the FSM is telling the truth about that.

But whatever works...works. Way to use your noodle.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:30 AM

The tensioner and cover is all on and it looks like I am off just the slightest amount on the cam marks lining up. I have taken it all off 2 times now and getting the same results. Does it have to be EXACTLY on the marks? This is pissing me off and stressing me out now.
Taking a break for lunch...........................................
Old 05-26-2014, 11:02 AM

EXACTLY? No. If we're talking half a tooth or less...don't sweat it. Just get it as close as you can...and call it good.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-26-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:40 PM

Thanks. Happy Memorial Day and if you served, Thank you. Might not get back in there tonight as we are taking the rug rats to the Grandparents for some grilling in the pouring rain.
M

Quick Reply: Timing is lost on my 3vze