Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Timing cover leaking oil after HG/Timing Chain replaced

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing cover leaking oil after HG/Timing Chain replaced

Hey guys,

I recently had my timing chain and head gasket replaced on my 22RE (using parts ordered from LCE). 200 miles later there's oil leaking all the way around the timing cover, or it looks that way, could be just from the top but draining down both sides (and it's a slow leak). I'm going to take it back to the mechanic, but I'd appreciate some pointers I could give him. I'm not sure how well he knows the 22re. I did watch most of the install. The timing cover was really hard to put on, it fit really tight against the HG. He didn't use any RTV there. That's probably why it's leaking. I feel like I read something about checking the deck of the block and the top of timing chain cover, to make sure they were flush. Not sure he did that. Is there anything else to bring up to him? Adding a skim coat of RTV to both sides of the timing cover could help. Also, I know the mating surfaces were spotless, the timing cover was checked for cracks, and the secret top screw was installed. Not sure if he put RTV on the threads of the screw that needs it (on the timing cover).

Really want to get it right the second time! Thanks guys.

Last edited by joedever; 11-07-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
right. no rtv in those spots could certainly be the issue. and, if he pooched the headgasket trying to install the cover