YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Timing Belt (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/timing-belt-168352/)

UsaTuff 02-28-2009 08:49 AM

Timing Belt

Ok, to start off im new to this forum and need some major help. It's a 1994 Toyota Pickup V6 3vze 5 speed.

So about 2 months ago the radiator cracked and cooked the head gasket a little bit. nope a big deal, was going to pull it this summer. Now, the new problem. I just replaced the timing belt and timed it correctly and everything. drove it for about 2 days and then it owuldnt start. it had sounded like it had come untimed. so i dismantled my front end got to the timing belt and it had been mangled by the bottom gear. right where the belt meets the bottom gear, it was smooth, ripped all of the teeth on the belt off. so for some reason when i turn my truck off, it is stopping extremely too fast. can anyone tell me if i am correct and what i can possibly do? right now im looking at either a new motor or truck. any suggestions, or help is greatly appreciated.

borz170 02-28-2009 09:07 AM

Put in a 3.4. I did a head gasket job on my 1994 SR5 and I will never do it again. I heard the swap is not too bad, but it does cost money. I believe you need both the engine and transmission, but I could be mistaken.

a4runnerfreak 02-28-2009 09:53 AM

Why is every1's patented answer to some1s question "time for a 3.4 swap".....? Jaysus.

Usatuff, just be a lil patient, some1 who has seen your type of problem will chime in. Sorry, I haven't had problems with any of my 3.0's, so I can't help you, but like I said just be patient.

Welcome to Yotatech!

UsaTuff 02-28-2009 10:12 AM

Thanks, I thought of doing a 3.4 swap but that would mean a lot of swapping and im just tryin to get her back runnin' again so i can drive to school. right now im rollin in a fricken buick rendevous lol

GSGALLANT 02-28-2009 10:32 AM

Did you use an OEM timing belt or aftermarket? If you're ripping teeth off the belt, it sounds like either a bad belt, or something is seized. Can you freely rotate both cam pulleys, and the waterpump pulley and idlers?

UsaTuff 02-28-2009 11:23 AM

if i take the belt off and grab a 17mm wrench i can spin both top pulleys, the water pump pulley spins around just find, but im not exactly sure what you mean by idlers? The Timing Belt is a replacement belt made by Dayco.

Heres the pic:
http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1001518.jpg

Marc 02-28-2009 01:23 PM

An idler pulley applies pressure to a belt to keep it tight.
Often by means of a spring.

Something is causing the belt not to turn.

UsaTuff 02-28-2009 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 51073965)
An idler pulley applies pressure to a belt to keep it tight.
Often by means of a spring.

Something is causing the belt not to turn.

Yes, i have it full tightened and the belt is nice and tight around all teeth. I was told that when i turn the truck off, the bottom gear is stopping too fast and it just destroyed the belt. im not sure if this is correct but it seems it.

Marc 02-28-2009 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by UsaTuff (Post 51074136)
I was told that when i turn the truck off, the bottom gear is stopping too fast and it just destroyed the belt.

I don't think that's it. The bottom gear is attached to the crankshaft.
It shouldn't matter how "fast" it stops.

It's the bottom pulley that turns the belt and everything above it.

Something is causing the belt not to rotate freely which let's the lower pulley burn the belt out.

GSGALLANT 02-28-2009 06:53 PM

Or maybe a Dayco belt is just weak... I've never heard of them. If everything that the belt touches spins freely, and your belt tensionner is fine, then my first instinct would be to suspect the belt. Try a Toyota belt (again, after having confirmed the above items).

Marc 03-01-2009 07:47 AM

Dayco belts are fine as long as you have the right one.