Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Temporary Door Buzzer Disable Switch (95 Toyota Truck)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temporary Door Buzzer Disable Switch (95 Toyota Truck)

thought i'd throw in my $0.02 worth on this. this applies to a '95 PU, and i would assume other model years like it. i have seen writeups about disabling the door buzzer but most so far involve permanently disabling the buzzer, which at least in my '95 means no warning that the key is in the ignition. not a complete mod, in my opinion. a simple switch is in order here to allow you full benefits of the buzzer plus the ability to disable it temporarily whenever you want, for instance when you're working with the door open but want to listen to the stereo.

needed supplies:

• appx 24" of 18-ga wire (as small as 22 is ok, but use heavier to be thorough). note: more wire as needed if switch is to be mounded on the dash or away from the kick panel
  • wire cutter
  • wire nuts, butt connectors, or soldering iron and solder
  • mountable button switch (any SPST on-off latching-action switch will do)

1. unscrew and remove the driver-side kick panel (the one that covers the fusebox and speed control)
  2. use a 12mm socket to unscrew the door switch
  3. with the switch loose, wiggle the wire so you see where it comes out (in mine, the wire to the switch is heavily insulated and red, then goes to a locking posi connector, and comes out as a finer red lead with white)
  4. pick which wire you'll clip (either the one to the switch, or the one after the posi), and clip it so that sufficient length remains to splice in new wires on both ends. [note: you can remove the posi and just connect the new wires in its place if you wish; it does not hold a fuse.]
  5. if you removed the door switch and its wire, re-thread the wire it so it comes out where it used to, then hold the wire as you screw the door switch back on, or it may twist and get lost in the panel
  6. solder in the wires to the switch. if you'll mount the switch in the kick panel, put it out of the way of being kicked, and if you put the switch elsewhere, increase the length of wire appropriately
  7. mount the switch on the kick panel or anywhere convenient, and connect it to the new wires. wire it before mounting if it will be difficult to access once mounted.
  8. solder or wire-nut the switch wires to the clipped ends of the buzzer wire
  9. wrap or otherwise secure the soldered, nutted or butt-joined wires against being jerked loose
  10. return the kick panel to its normal position and screw it back on
  11. test the installation. in one position, the dome light won't light and the buzzer won't buzz while the key is in and on ACC. with the switch in its other position, the buzzer and light will activate like normal. if this isn't the case, check the wiring.