YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   tailgate hinge rattle (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/tailgate-hinge-rattle-249341/)

gubni 02-15-2012 06:53 AM

tailgate hinge rattle

I just got an 87 4runner and noticed this crazy rattle in the back. After some investigation I have figured out that it is the tailgate hinges. Has anyone fixed this problem and what did you do?

3YLSYKR 02-15-2012 09:00 AM

I just fixed this problem on my 85 4runner. The place where the two hinge pieces are connected is loose but couldn't really fix that.

I fixed it by putting a couple washers on each of the 4 bolts that hold the hinges to the body and the tail gate. When tail gate is down, it will be movable and a little loose, but better than before. When tail gate is up, no more rattle. Just a few cheap metal washers on each bolt and it worked like a charm. Nice to have a quiet ride again :-) Hope this helps and fixes your problem as well.

BMcEL 02-15-2012 09:33 AM

There's a cool new search feature here...check it out. :great:

There are plastic pieces that keep the hinges from rattling and they usually break/fall out with age. You can order replacements or come up with your own anti-rattle solution.

3YLSYKR 02-15-2012 09:36 AM

I know there is a search button but you can't always find what you are looking for or easily so nothing wrong with posting up something hoping someone can be nice helping out like i did or post a link to where it was covered before possibly. I just get tired of people saying that about the search feature on any forum now because they do it with such an attitude seems like. Nothing personal BMcEL.

BMcEL 02-15-2012 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 3YLSYKR (Post 51871088)
I know there is a search button but you can't always find what you are looking for or easily so nothing wrong with posting up something hoping someone can be nice helping out like i did or post a link to where it was covered before possibly. I just get tired of people saying that about the search feature on any forum now because they do it with such an attitude seems like. Nothing personal BMcEL.

People get tired of seeing the same questions over and over and this one is pretty common...that's what the newb section is for. I was able to find numerous threads in a matter of seconds by searching. With that said, I still answered his question, just reminded him to search.

:grouphug:

gubni 02-15-2012 10:12 AM

I did a search under hinge rattle and came up with nothing. I just searched for tailgate rattle and found the info. Thanks!

3YLSYKR 02-15-2012 10:20 AM

All that I seen that was there before was some rubber washers that were kinda thick but had worn out over time. Either or will work.

CitrusTheDragon 02-15-2012 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 3YLSYKR (Post 51871088)

Try using google to do your searches, yota tech is the first one to come up most the time and it keeps the guys off your back for posting a repeat post. Don't worry it was me getting the tongue lashing just search for me or pismojoe funny convo.

CitrusTheDragon 02-15-2012 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 3YLSYKR (Post 51871117)
All that I seen that was there before was some rubber washers that were kinda thick but had worn out over time. Either or will work.

I used an piece of plastic folded in half and rapped it in black duct tape. Seems to be working so far.

RMA 02-15-2012 11:51 AM

here u go bro..some pics also...https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...=rear+tailgate

x-man 02-15-2012 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by RMA (Post 51871154)

I fixed mine couple weeks ago....so much better now! lol

abecedarian 02-15-2012 08:13 PM

Nylon washers maybe?

But I'm sure you searched. ;)