Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Tail Light options

Old 06-12-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail Light options

Hi all, putting a wood flat bed on my 95 xtra cab (thanks to the invaluable help from this forum). Was wondering what my options are for new tail lights. Probably going to have a back board for the lic plate so they could mount there. Looking for something cool.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Pretty much what ever you want only being limited by your budget.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They have to be RED in color too..
Old 06-13-2014, 08:39 AM

Keep your stock tail light housings and go with LED lights. There's a lot of guys on line selling them now but I like these guys for the exterior lights. They have a very helpful and informative site. These bulbs like nice also. Do a search and you'll find plenty of options.

When I had my 1996 F350, I put LED bulbs in my stock housings and it looked awesome. Almost like an eye looking out of the tail light housing. A lot brighter and very different looking. I bought them off Ebay but forgot from who. Remember that if you are putting them into a red lens, you need a red LED bulb, etc....The bulb needs to be the same color as the lens. And make sure you get a bulb with 360 degrees of coverage. If I can find a pic of my old truck, I will post it up when I have a chance.

I haven't had a chance to do it to the 4Runner, but will definitely do it in the future. Just another option for you as I can't stand the look of some of those cheesy Chinese aftermarket housings on Ebay....

Oh...sorry I see you have a flatbed. Check out these LED trailer lights...you have some options here.

Here's a link for license plate lights/mounts....

Last edited by daved5150; 06-13-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: add to post
Old 06-18-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by daved5150
Keep your stock tail light housings and go with LED lights. There's a lot of guys on line selling them now but I like these guys for the exterior lights. They have a very helpful and informative site. These bulbs like nice also. Do a search and you'll find plenty of options.

When I had my 1996 F350, I put LED bulbs in my stock housings and it looked awesome. Almost like an eye looking out of the tail light housing. A lot brighter and very different looking. I bought them off Ebay but forgot from who. Remember that if you are putting them into a red lens, you need a red LED bulb, etc....The bulb needs to be the same color as the lens. And make sure you get a bulb with 360 degrees of coverage. If I can find a pic of my old truck, I will post it up when I have a chance.

I haven't had a chance to do it to the 4Runner, but will definitely do it in the future. Just another option for you as I can't stand the look of some of those cheesy Chinese aftermarket housings on Ebay....

Oh...sorry I see you have a flatbed. Check out these LED trailer lights...you have some options here.

Here's a link for license plate lights/mounts....
I can't keep my stock housing as the bed is now removed and I have 2x10 pt board as my mount.

I bought a combo set of round led running/tail/directional but what can I use as a backup light?
Old 06-18-2014, 11:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The light you bought will only work if you get a converter box.

As our turn signals are separate circuits

For back up lights any of the clear round or oval will work.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by daved5150
That's why I edited my post with above...

Good call, Wyoming...forgot about the converter. He's talking about this.

Anything else you need??