86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tacoma rear axle parts compatibility, '93 truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacoma rear axle parts compatibility, '93 truck

I have a complete Taco axle, axle assemblies freshly rebuilt including bearings, brakes, and wheel cylinders, elocker just needing gears. The housing is slightly tweaked due to the standard Taco spring perch/axle hop damage. End to end it is straight. Needs reinforcing and new spring perches.

I have given up making my 2.7L auto Taco XtraCab off road worthy, in favor of rebuilding a 1993 std. cab.

My options include:
1) swapping the Taco axle under the '93. Yes I know the rear is 3/4" wider per side than the IFS stock axle. Meh.
2) swapping the Taco axle parts into the '93 housing and modifying the housing for an elocker. I've done the housing mod before, not too bad. But this brings up a question-

Will the Taco non-ABS axle assemblies swap into the '93 housing despite that 3/4"? Sometimes there is enough spline to get away with mismatches, does anyone know?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
I have a complete Taco axle, axle assemblies freshly rebuilt including bearings, brakes, and wheel cylinders, elocker just needing gears. The housing is slightly tweaked due to the standard Taco spring perch/axle hop damage. End to end it is straight. Needs reinforcing and new spring perches.

I have given up making my 2.7L auto Taco XtraCab off road worthy, in favor of rebuilding a 1993 std. cab.

My options include:
1) swapping the Taco axle under the '93. Yes I know the rear is 3/4" wider per side than the IFS stock axle. Meh.
2) swapping the Taco axle parts into the '93 housing and modifying the housing for an elocker. I've done the housing mod before, not too bad. But this brings up a question-

Will the Taco non-ABS axle assemblies swap into the '93 housing despite that 3/4"? Sometimes there is enough spline to get away with mismatches, does anyone know?
No, the taco axle parts are NOT interchangable...you will need to swap the whole housing and use wheel spacers in the front to compensate for the width difference
Old 05-28-2008, 06:38 PM
BAZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
No, the taco axle parts are NOT interchangable...you will need to swap the whole housing and use wheel spacers in the front to compensate for the width difference
Sounds like a pretty easy way to do an e-locker swap. What gear ratios did the tacos come with?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
Only if I want to compensate for 3/4" per side. Meh.

I think I will press the assemblies apart and put them on the '93 axle shafts then. Thx.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by BAZ
Sounds like a pretty easy way to do an e-locker swap. What gear ratios did the tacos come with?
The modification of the housing is actually easier and lower risk, as you have to change the spring perches AFAIK. That *can* result, easily, in a warped housing. Unless you are really good at heat management and stitch welding.

The elocker came with a grenaded 4.10. I rebuilt it with some old good 4.56s I had. I will get to rebuild it again (just R&P) to 5.29s now that it is going into the '93.