Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

tach signal and idle and surge questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:57 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
tach signal and idle and surge questions

I have installed an aftermarket tach in my 88 22re. It started out fine, and then after a week, it stopped working, as in it would register way under what the actual rpms were, then it got to the point where it didnt register anything at all. I then made a better connection between its green wire and the wire from the igniter, and still nothing.
I am having issues with rough idle and a bucking/surging/hesitation at all speeds, gears, accel, decel, load, cruising, have another thread talking about it. I put a new tps in, and found a bunch of broken vacuum lines, and replaced them, and the only way I can get the truck to run smooth, is to not have the tps mounted, but plugged in, and have it stuck way open permenently. The flapper in my afm is moving, i am getting fuel, you can smell it in the tail pipe, it runs rich, because of how the tps has to be set for it to run. new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, o2 sensor is fairly new, new air filter, cat is not clogged.
I do not know if the tach problem and the rough idle/surging/hesitation problem are related, so if anyone has any ideas, I would really be open to suggestions and much appreciative.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
well, at lunch today I took the tach wire off of the igniter wire, and hooked it to the negative side of the coil, and the tach seems to be working much better, don't know if there was just a bad connection to the igniter, or whether that signal is messed up.
also, I blocked off my egr at the manifold, and....i can now mount my tps and using the adjustment there, get it idle fairly smooth. I am sure there are other things going on, ect sensor, cold start timer and injector, etc, etc, but it seems like a bulk of the problem was the egr, it must have been stuck open, or the modulator is bad, dumping too much into the intake.
finally making some progress......