Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

T-case leaking after dealer flushed transmission

Old 09-28-2013, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HighLux
never ever put any stop leak anything anywhere.

Did the flush accomplish anything other than sprouting a leak?

The trans needs to come out and someone needs to take a look at it.

You opened Pandora's box.
Yes, it does shift smoother now.

Even if it is a bad seal, it's just the t-case chain housing, so I don't think the entire transmission needs to come out (just remove the chain cover).
Old 09-28-2013, 07:37 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Well, when I first picked the 4Runner up 3 or so weeks ago, I noticed low tranny fluid.. I had not been educated on it's sensitivity to checkign the fluid at the EXACT right temperature. But, still, I couldn't even see the fluid on the dipstick... SO I added about half a quart, checked, I saw it just at the very tip, added another 1/4 quart.. checked.. was still just covering the tip.. I thought, I better not put any more because it seemed like a lot for a workign transmission.. THen, when I went to shift it into reverse, it was pretty much slipping.. on idle it would go backwards a little, anythign above idle.. nothing.. i thought, ˟˟˟˟ either wrong fluid or too much?? But luckily it shifted through it's forward gears fine. (on my test drive, it went reverse just fine!)..

Point is, I am definitely going to do a full tranny oil flush. I'm going to use up a lot of expensive tranny fluid doing it.. but I rather be thorough. So, what should I watch out for in order not to run into any of pandora's box issues????

I HATE AUTO TRANNYS! If this one ever goes out.. definitely going to do a manual swap. (my other car is manual )
Old 09-29-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Gevo
Well, when I first picked the 4Runner up 3 or so weeks ago, I noticed low tranny fluid.. I had not been educated on it's sensitivity to checkign the fluid at the EXACT right temperature. But, still, I couldn't even see the fluid on the dipstick... SO I added about half a quart, checked, I saw it just at the very tip, added another 1/4 quart.. checked.. was still just covering the tip.. I thought, I better not put any more because it seemed like a lot for a workign transmission.. THen, when I went to shift it into reverse, it was pretty much slipping.. on idle it would go backwards a little, anythign above idle.. nothing.. i thought, ˟˟˟˟ either wrong fluid or too much?? But luckily it shifted through it's forward gears fine. (on my test drive, it went reverse just fine!)..

Point is, I am definitely going to do a full tranny oil flush. I'm going to use up a lot of expensive tranny fluid doing it.. but I rather be thorough. So, what should I watch out for in order not to run into any of pandora's box issues????

I HATE AUTO TRANNYS! If this one ever goes out.. definitely going to do a manual swap. (my other car is manual )
Get an IR thermometer. I was surprised at how much of a difference being in the recommended temperature range made on where the fluid level was on the dipstick.

I went to Harbor Freight yesterday for one. I took the following coupons for the free tape measure (can't have too many), and ended up getting the tape measure the thermometer for free (about $40 in all). I even told the cashier that I thought that wasn't right (the thermometer was free with a minimum purchase), he replied with "if it says you don't owe me anything, then just go with it", "as long as it says zero, then my register will balance at the end of the day". He was the assistant manager, so who was I to argue!

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...tm_source=1030
Old 09-29-2013, 08:45 AM

Why not add a cool little in-line thermometer and wire it to a dial, or digital display somewhere in the car? Heck if it's a smart enough thermometer you can always put a thermometer in both lines (input/output to/from cooler) and you can even see that information

man, all these idea are making me excited!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:46 AM

JDrum, let us know how long that thermometer lasts
Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 AM

Why not add a cool little in-line thermometer and wire it to a dial, or digital display somewhere in the car? Heck if it's a smart enough thermometer you can always put a thermometer in both lines (input/output to/from cooler) and you can even see that information

man, all these idea are making me excited!
There's posts here about that. May do that in the future (and plumb an external cooler as well).

JDrum, let us know how long that thermometer lasts
I know, it's Harbor Freight, but some of their products are alright (just have to research before buying). This IR thermometer looks to be identical to some name brand models.

Their ratchets and sockets have taken the place of my Craftsman sets (not that that is saying much given the state of Craftsman tools). Plenty good enough for my needs.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:06 PM

I cleaned it up some and took it for a drive. It's for sure coming from the hole.

Now to figure out where the hole leads.......
Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't think that overfilling would cause a leak in and of itself. It's more complex. The pan itself isn't really pressurized much above atmosphere...
A raised level could have moved the fluid level up the seal to where it was more deteriorated due to lack of constant/regular exposure to fluid conditioners/preservatives/etc to keep it in top shape, and that exposure of deteriorated gasket to fresh fluid could have dissolved or dislodged some of that deteriorated gasket and potentially removed a chunk of gasket down to regular level. Just guessing, but that seems to be the best thing I can come up with.

As far as a flush -- depends on what we're talkign about... A forced fluid flush or chemical/conditioner/solvent flush, no. Amsoil has a detergent flush that I might consider on a less than 100k tranny (including since rebuild) before swapping to synthetic, but otherwise, I'd just do a full fluid flush (have to do more than just draining pan). That is, exchanging all fluid in the engine using tranny's normal fluid suction/evacuation, yes.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by RSR
I wouldn't think that overfilling would cause a leak in and of itself. It's more complex. The pan itself isn't really pressurized much above atmosphere...
A raised level could have moved the fluid level up the seal to where it was more deteriorated due to lack of constant/regular exposure to fluid conditioners/preservatives/etc to keep it in top shape, and that exposure of deteriorated gasket to fresh fluid could have dissolved or dislodged some of that deteriorated gasket and potentially removed a chunk of gasket down to regular level. Just guessing, but that seems to be the best thing I can come up with.

As far as a flush -- depends on what we're talkign about... A forced fluid flush or chemical/conditioner/solvent flush, no. Amsoil has a detergent flush that I might consider on a less than 100k tranny (including since rebuild) before swapping to synthetic, but otherwise, I'd just do a full fluid flush (have to do more than just draining pan). That is, exchanging all fluid in the engine using tranny's normal fluid suction/evacuation, yes.
Thanks for the info. I would never admit to being versed in the workings of an auto (manual, somewhat).

It was not a forced flush (and the pan was pulled to replace the filter).