Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sylvania Silverstars

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sylvania Silverstars

Are junk...

Bought two ($60) for christmas last year. Put them on my truck sometime in January. My truck wasn't running for 3-4 months (the whole summer) and my f$#*^&@ light is burnt out!

Anybody else experience this?

Can this be caused by gravel roads/wheeling?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used the Silverstars in a Corolla and was replacing them every 5 weeks, almost like clockwork. Now, my lights were burning at least 8-9 hours per day, most days, but they would burn out within 24 hours of each other. I had the receipt and went through 6 pairs before I gave up and got my money back.

Loved the light output. Longevity...not so much.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:30 PM

I had them in my Mazda no problems, The Yota has an h4 conversion
Old 10-31-2008, 08:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
got them in my runner's conversion lights and they've been there for over a year now.

I'd say check the voltage at the light plug. If it's too low it could cause the bulbs to burn out prematurely.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by ShortyzKustomz
I had them in my Mazda no problems, The Yota has an h4 conversion
How did you manage to do that? Thanks

Sounds like these lights are junk!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 PM

Ive got them in my 88 and its been a little over a year and they are still doing good! Had them in my 01 ranger before for 2 years with no problems, they seem to be really nice lights with good output, also the cool blues are good to have those in my 92 ranger and they are not as good as the silverstars, but still good!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:32 PM

I must be one unlucky bastage
Old 10-31-2008, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
got them in my runner's conversion lights and they've been there for over a year now.

I'd say check the voltage at the light plug. If it's too low it could cause the bulbs to burn out prematurely.
What should the voltage be?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 PM

I used to work at a auto parts store that sold them.

I can tell they suck. From the standpoint that they won't last very long. I don't know how many people complained about them burning out so fast.

Now they sell the Silverstars Xtra's or something like that. They are supposed to last longer than normal Silverstars. Of course they cost more it's all a scam if you ask me.

I put PIAA H4's in my old Runner and I LOVED them! Not too much more than the Sliverstars and the output was better and they lasted even when I got quite a bit of water in the lens lol.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
How did you manage to do that? Thanks

Sounds like these lights are junk!
Do you have 6054 lights?

If you do Hella offroad 6054 H4 conversion.

Simple bolt in affair. No harder than changing the lights.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I ran 9007 sylvania silverstars in my subaru for about a year then put em in my 4runner shortly after I bought it and they've been in there for about a year too. I did say 9007... NOT 9004. Easy enough to mod the lense and swap the high beam and ground wires.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:17 AM

For the price of that junk you can have HID
Old 11-01-2008, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by vwfastg60
Not legal to run, looks stupid, burn out often. Yep I really want HID in my rig. By the way CHP is impounding cars with aftermarket HID's. It mainly targeted at the ricer crowd but be warned.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got 80/100W Hella bulbs on stock wires, will never use anything else.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 91Toyota
What should the voltage be?

Thanks!
Should be the same voltage that's at your battery terminals (12 when not running, 14-15 while running); basically, just check to make sure there's not a drop in voltage because of a bad ground or somthing.

It may sound stupid that too little of volts can burn a headlight out, but it's most definately a fact. Prime example; look at all the chevy's running around with that one day-time running light burned out. They're just standard headlight bulbs, but the problem is that Chevy designed the electrical system to not put the full 12-14 volts while in the day-time running-light mode (couldn't tell ya why, maybe to extend the life of the bulb, lol), thus causing them to burn out over, and over, and over, and over again. I do believe that the only way to get bulbs that will work properly and last longer would be to get them from Chevy, if they've even addressed the problem...

Originally Posted by EvaMonky
I used to work at a auto parts store that sold them.

I can tell they suck. From the standpoint that they won't last very long. I don't know how many people complained about them burning out so fast.

Now they sell the Silverstars Xtra's or something like that. They are supposed to last longer than normal Silverstars. Of course they cost more it's all a scam if you ask me.
Yeah buddy, me as well. Worked at Advance Auto Parts for 2 1/2 years, and heard the same crap every time; "These $40 bulbs are only a week old and they're already burt out!". Granted, some of these people were tards and had a busted up and leaking housing or something, but a lot of them were just the fact that the bulbs, dispite what all the adds say about them, are crap. Now they are pretty bright brand new, I'll give em that, but they just don't last.

I've gone threw 3 sets of H4 conversion lights; the first damaged set was my fault, kinda; out in the woods and a buddy whipped a dounut right in front of me and busted the housing up with flying rocks... that pissed me off... The second set was just cheap and sprung a leak; the H4 bulb never burned out surprisingly, but the inside of the housing started to rust and it looked like crapola. The set I have now I got off eBay for like $20 I think, and their pretty decent. They all came with bulbs brand new, but I ditched them for some bulbs I got while working at Advance when they discontinued them; these APC bulbs. Their ight, 80w low and 100w high, and the H4 conversion housings put out a pretty good light pattern.

If you go that rout, I'd stay away from the "projector" style ones. Maybe it was just the brand I bought, but they were crap; HORRIBLE light output, not to mention those are also the ones that sprung a leak...
Old 11-01-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by vwfastg60
x2
Those silver star lights are junk, Buy the Hella h4 conversion kit and an HID kit http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...alse&N=700+115
Old 11-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
i got 80/100W Hella bulbs on stock wires, will never use anything else.
Ditto
Old 11-01-2008, 02:37 PM

had silverstars in my 85... liked them alot, they were just the sealed beam replacements.. then i had the 9007 in my 2000 ranger and hated them lol one burned out with in like 4months.. put one of the old bulbs back in to get me by for a week and with my highbeams the old bulb was brighter lol .. pulled my set of H4 conversion housings out of my 91 xtended cab that i parted out and put them with some piaa's in them and i love em.. i will eventually do a HID set up after i get the more important things done (LIFT N DUAL CASES)
Old 11-01-2008, 02:39 PM

i've been running the same set of silverstars (not the ultras) for three years now and they are still working just fine and are brighter than the stock ones still today...either i'm really lucky or all the nay-sayers are really unlucky...
Old 11-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gte718p
Not legal to run, looks stupid, burn out often. Yep I really want HID in my rig. By the way CHP is impounding cars with aftermarket HID's. It mainly targeted at the ricer crowd but be warned.
in California

Quick Reply: Sylvania Silverstars