Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

super high idle after 3vze head gasket job

Old 03-22-2016, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
super high idle after 3vze head gasket job

hey guys i need some help figuring this out, point me in the right direction please and thanks. truck is a 92 toy pickup ext cab with 3vze (idled at 900 rpm before), i just did a head gasket job with the kit from lce engineering with mls gasket and head studs. upon trying to start it i got just clicking and found out my neg battery cable was done so i replaced that and truck fired up, it didnt run very good because i got the dizzy in one tooth off, i rotated it all the way clockwise and it ran better so i pulled the dizzy and rotated it one tooth counter clockwise then put the dizzy back at the marks on the bearing cap and housing.

now that i have that where it should be when i fire my truck up it idles at like 3.8k rpm, as far as i know i have no vacuum leaks ( wouldnt a leak cause the truck to die anyway since its unmetered?), throttle cable has a good amount of slack so i dont think its pulling on the throttle body. i adjusted the idle screw all the way closed and it lowered the idle from 4k down to the 3.8k its at now. i changed out the ect sensor on the back of the motor like 6 months ago before i did the head gasket and i know i plugged it back in, i know tps is plugged in and was not messed with.

im not sure if different injectors can cause a high idle but i bought some flamethrowers to install while doing the head gasket and im thinking that might cause some problems? online fsm says to set idle i have to have stable ignition timing and to set timing i need to have stable idle so i dont know what do do
Old 03-23-2016, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mc360
hey guys i need some help figuring this out, point me in the right direction please and thanks. truck is a 92 toy pickup ext cab with 3vze (idled at 900 rpm before), i just did a head gasket job with the kit from lce engineering with mls gasket and head studs. upon trying to start it i got just clicking and found out my neg battery cable was done so i replaced that and truck fired up, it didnt run very good because i got the dizzy in one tooth off, i rotated it all the way clockwise and it ran better so i pulled the dizzy and rotated it one tooth counter clockwise then put the dizzy back at the marks on the bearing cap and housing.

now that i have that where it should be when i fire my truck up it idles at like 3.8k rpm, as far as i know i have no vacuum leaks ( wouldnt a leak cause the truck to die anyway since its unmetered?), throttle cable has a good amount of slack so i dont think its pulling on the throttle body. i adjusted the idle screw all the way closed and it lowered the idle from 4k down to the 3.8k its at now. i changed out the ect sensor on the back of the motor like 6 months ago before i did the head gasket and i know i plugged it back in, i know tps is plugged in and was not messed with.

im not sure if different injectors can cause a high idle but i bought some flamethrowers to install while doing the head gasket and im thinking that might cause some problems? online fsm says to set idle i have to have stable ignition timing and to set timing i need to have stable idle so i dont know what do do
Scratch that guys, I pulled the engine apart 4 months ago and I guess I forgot I messed with the throttle cable adjusters for my cruise control on accident. I popped off the intake to check if the throttle was hanging on something and sure enough it was the cruise control.