YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Stuck Pilot Bearing (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/stuck-pilot-bearing-307382/)

J-Yota918 04-02-2019 03:53 PM

Stuck Pilot Bearing

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...798966a886.jpg
I have a 1987 toyota pickup single cab 4x4 5 speed 22r pickup with a rusted out bed. Not all needed but just throwing that out there. I have a stuck pilot bearing. I dropped the transmission because 5th gear destroyed itself and I'm in the process of doing some other maintenance while it's out. I tried an Autozone pilot bearing puller. Broke the puller. I read about filling the cavity with grease then using an extension to hammer in and press the bearing out. The extension got stuck. Now the extension is well greased and well stuck. I'm trying to find guaranteed solutions and I'm pretty much tired of trying stuff that doesn't work. Any ideas are appreciated.

Paul22RE 04-02-2019 05:10 PM

Did you try to put vice grips on that extension and try to bang it out and at least get the extension out? The grease method did work on my 92. On my 87 4Runner many, many years ago I think I ended up using a small grinding wheel to cut the bearing sleeve.

Lons81 04-02-2019 07:06 PM

If you can remove the extension, you might try packing the center of the bearing with white bread. Using a punch to really get in packed in from behind it should to push out the bearing. Continue filling until bearing comes out. Clean out the cavity and install new bearing. Worked on my 81, even though it sounds weird

keycw 04-03-2019 04:44 AM

I couldn't get the grease method to work. I just did this job last month. I used small strips of paper towel soaked in water, stuff them into the cavity, then used a bolt the same size as the hole and tap it with a hammer. keep stuffing paper into it and tapping with hammer until it pops out. ive used this trick on three Toyotas.

coryc85 04-03-2019 05:02 AM

I've used both the bread method and the wet paper method (wet paper, wet paper towels) and they both work well. I've never used the grease method because it seems too messy to me.

snippits 04-03-2019 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Paul22RE (Post 52421515)
Did you try to put vice grips on that extension and try to bang it out and at least get the extension out? The grease method did work on my 92. On my 87 4Runner many, many years ago I think I ended up using a small grinding wheel to cut the bearing sleeve.

I would try what Paul said to get the extension out.

Also, slide hammers can be outfitted with vise grips. There are adapters available that attach a vice grip to a slide hammer.

This guy on Youtube used a Harbor Freight slider hammer, and attached one of their vice grips to it. All you have to do is remove the adjusting bolt for the pliers, and then screw the threaded shaft of the slide hammer into the pliers.

arlindsay1992 04-03-2019 08:01 AM

I tried the grease method, it was messy and squirted everywhere. It didn't work for me. Next I used the bread trick. That worked awesome. I've done it three times. It's important to use an extension, bar, or bolt that slides nicely into the bearing but isn't tight and doesn't have much play. Too small and it won't seal up, too big and it'll just get stuck.

jazz1 04-03-2019 11:15 AM

Heat it up, will slide off or at least break the bond that holds it. Never had a pilot bearing give me any issues amazingly.

J-Yota918 04-03-2019 04:49 PM

Okay so I got my inner race and the balls out. Now my outer bearing is stuck. I'm not sure how to get it out. I've tried a dremel and put notches in it bit it's still pretty well stuck in there. I've been using a 1.5 inch dremel EZ lock steel cut off wheel. I had bought 15/16 but the center hole grinds itself before the metal. I'm very much stuck. I'm appreciative of all help I've recieved and hope to get a little more.

Paul22RE 04-03-2019 05:10 PM

Only way at this point is to slice/weaken that outer sleeve and then pry it out.

87-4runner 04-03-2019 05:23 PM

Take a diamond point chisel and dig it into the rim of the bearing and drive it like your trying to unscrew it... either direction works wherever your able to get the most swing on a good sized hammer...

ev13wt 04-05-2019 11:39 AM

Remove cage. Remove inner race with force.
Buy pilot bearing puller. Not the slide hammer version.
Use it.
:)

J-Yota918 04-07-2019 03:23 PM

I appreciate all the help everyone. I ended up getting the outter race out with a slide hammer and bigger pilot bearing tool. Popped off in two seconds after a 3 day battle. I put in the new pilot bearing and now I'm waiting on a gasket to come in. New rear main seal is in as well. I'm inching towards having the truck back as my daily driver.

bearcat2 04-07-2019 04:36 PM

I never had any luck with the grease method, it does lube everything up nicely so you can't get a grip on anything, though. I made a slide hammer with a hooked end out of some steel rod I had laying around and a ten pound sledge head, that got it out. Of course the only one I've ever had a problem with I had the motor out of the truck and on the shop floor so I had lots of room to work. Would have been much more of a pain under the truck using my fabricated slide hammer, but I made it with about 18 inches of slide and a ten pound hammer, it really put some force to it.

J-Yota918 04-08-2019 07:31 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...fcb941a6aa.jpg
Here is the new pilot bearing in and it turns well. The black piece looks to be a little bent from installation somehow but it rotates without noise friction so seems to be good. Glad to have put to rest the biggest issue in the smallest part I'm changing.

ev13wt 04-08-2019 11:01 PM

How did you fubar the seal? :)
Always drive in bearings with the outside race!

anndel 04-10-2019 06:28 PM

Glad you got it out and new one in, great job! BTW I used this on my pilot bearing/clutch project: OTC 7318 Pilot Bearing Puller

https://www.otctools.com/products/pi...aring-puller-3