86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stuck Brake Drums, Could use some help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck Brake Drums, Could use some help!

My 1995 4runner rear brake drums are stuck on!
One option I would like to try is screwing two bolts into the face of the drum and pushing of the drum.
I have tried both the M8 bolts and M10's. The M8's were slightly loose and didnt engage the threads. The M10's didnt fit at all. I assumed these are metric tapped holes, but apparently not. Does anyone know what the thread size is?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-14-2009, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume you've tried a couple of good whacks to the face of the drum with a 32oz ball peen hammer? That usually pops them free.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:19 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

They should be M8x1.25 thread unless some one screwed them up.

I would hope you have backed the brakes off . On drums I have not seen before it doesn`t hurt to spray with P B Blaster or something along those lines.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can access the adjusting gear through the backing plate with flat bladed screw driver. The opening is usually plugged with an rectangular rubber plug. Pop that out and then you can back off the gear, pulling the shoes inward. After that, the only thing holding it on woudl be rust on the axle flange.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by OutlawMike
You can access the adjusting gear through the backing plate with flat bladed screw driver. The opening is usually plugged with an rectangular rubber plug. Pop that out and then you can back off the gear, pulling the shoes inward. After that, the only thing holding it on woudl be rust on the axle flange.

Good luck.
Yep this would help you allot. There is a locking arm on the the gear to stop is from spinning backwards. If you can get a flashlight and look inside to through the hole. Take a smaller screwdriver and see if you can pry the locking arm out of the way. It will help you with backing off the adjustment gear. Hope this doesn't confuse you more.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:59 PM

Thanks for all the great advice!
I was able to back off the star wheel to get the drum off along with a little help of the M8 screws in the face of the drum and PB Blaster.
I was surprised how hard it was to back off the star wheel. Also the brake drum wear was so bad that there was an edge or ridge (the surface that is untouched by the shoe) that was keeping the drum from sliding over the shoes and coming off!
Also interesting that I found dried mud caked over every metal part inside the drum and brake hardware and a handful of dirt piled up at the bottom. Previous owner didnt clean out his break drums after getting stuck in the mud one time!
Something to think about when you go mudd'n!
Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-16-2009, 10:48 PM

Your parking brake wasn't on right?

Lol. It happens.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 PM

on mine the shoes formed a groove into the drums and required fully turning the star gear in wards then i used a plummers torch to heat the drum and i beat that drum like it OWED ME MONEY yea 5 whacks later it popped off TIP sand the axle part it slips over
and add a dab of grease next time it will be a lot easier
Old 10-24-2009, 04:24 PM
pwd

Hijack:

My rear left drum is dragging. I noticed after my brake pedal didn't go down as far to apply the brakes. I tried getting the drum off today and had no luck. I wrestled around trying to find the spring lever to spin the adjusting wheel, but I can't see it or feel it with a screwdriver. I've done this before because the same drum had the same problem before, but now I think I've cause the lever to somehow fall off by hitting the drum with a hammer. So, with the shoes tight against the drum how am I supposed to remove the drum?
Old 10-24-2009, 04:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E-Brake on? Is it both drums or one? Drums worn a grove from pads thus they are not coming off due to the lip the pads might have made..... beat the hell out of it with a hammer... trust me you won't break a toyota drum. Theres nothing on a toyota thats not metric so yea..... those holes are metric..... somethings gotta go in them to get em off...... piston stuck out to far on wheel cylinder....
Old 10-24-2009, 04:46 PM
pwd

Just the one drum giving me a headache. I'm gonna try buy some screws to thread into the front of the drum. Good idea, cheers!. I read they are M8 1.25MM? If that won't pop it, more hammer time I guess! The e-brake isn't engaged since it doesn't work correctly anyway (one of the levers inside doesn't move freely). My backing plates are quite rusted through and are chewed up bad, would it be a good time to replace them as well? Anyone ever replace those?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:08 AM
pwd

Well after trying the screw (the other hole was stripped) in the drum, and stripping that hole. I managed to pound a screwdriver in between the hub and the drum and just get plying and prying. It finally came off. One of the shoe retainers was off, that that wouldn't have helped things. The adjusting lever was also slightly bent, so I just used some pliers and straightened that out. I managed to get everything back together mostly, but as you can see from the pics, its just a matter of time before it happens again. My plan is to not drive this truck in the winter since I have my other money-pit up and running (the 4Runner) and replace most of the drum components in the spring when I hopefully have a job too.

See how damaged the outer lip of the drum is? It still works though.

My dirty/rusty backing plate, after doing some research, looks like its quite the job to replace the backing plates.

My ugly rear brake.

Last edited by pwd; 10-31-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:27 AM

bookoo rust i see..... i guess living up in canada theres alot of that... lol wow you actaully chiped the drumb! Those by looking at em can still be turned so i'd save em unless your really want new drums. Toyota drums last about forever cause they are so thick. You can turn the hell out of a yota drum and still us it.... clean brake parts, new pads spray some WD-40 in there and a lil grease on the adjuster ad turn the drums and throw it back together it should be fine....
Old 10-25-2009, 08:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I hate drum brakes. I mean really, do manufacturers save that much money over discs? Too many parts for too little braking action, if you ask me.

I understand about the money issue, but one thing not too terribly expensive that is a good idea with severe corrosion like that is to use a good rust remover or converter to slow the rust. You won't eliminate it totally, but you can give it a big set-back. Especially the backing plate, which as you said is no easy thing to replace:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51240300

For your situation, a converter called Fertan would work wonders (no association with the company).
Old 10-25-2009, 08:36 AM

Drum brakes are very reliable and require alot less service than disc brakes. A new drum is very expensive to buy anyway.... they can be turned alot more than discs can too.....
Old 10-25-2009, 10:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Drum brakes are very reliable and require alot less service than disc brakes. A new drum is very expensive to buy anyway.... they can be turned alot more than discs can too.....
I respect your opinion but don't share it. Drums easily get out of adjustment and I'll wager many of the drum brakes out there are providing absolutely no braking action whatsoever. Discs have many fewer moving parts and very reliably provide good braking action. And they're easier to service than drums.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:08 PM

Indeed you are correct on some notes. But how often do you worry about a set of drums? They do require adjustment over time..... about 20 years ago.... rear disc brakes were not exactly a popular thought..... the rear brakes on any vehicle are not designed to provide serious braking.... they brake just bearly alittle bit to keep the vehcile under control and not go sideways everytime you brake.... discs are nice because all ya gotta change is some pads here and there and turn em if needed.... but rear disc brakes still have a parking brake inside a lil drum in the center usually...... thats what the drum was for years ago in the back... parking brake and regular brake but they thought lets make alil tiny parking brake drum and ad discs which was cool and helps alot.......................... so yea...... "ahem" i'm done now...lol
Old 11-03-2012, 11:30 PM

mine are stuck too!!!

Guys, I have turned that star wheel all the way and put the whammie to the drum with a hammer, WD, and PB, and it still won't come off. It's an '87, with only just over 100k, so I gotta assume it sat in a barn or something for a long time. I'm afraid to put a torch to it after all those solvents, for fear of fire, but I tried the 8mm bolts, and there's no threads to grab, and I did a bunch of other brake work (caliper, lspv, lines, MC) and I've been bleeding the holy living heck out of everything, but still got no pedal, so i gota assume it's a wheel cylinder overextending or leaking, but I can't get the stupid drum off. Anyone got any ideas, suggestions, or should I just shoot the truck and then myself...?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by 87roadhazard
Guys, I have turned that star wheel all the way and put the whammie to the drum with a hammer, WD, and PB, and it still won't come off. It's an '87, with only just over 100k, so I gotta assume it sat in a barn or something for a long time. I'm afraid to put a torch to it after all those solvents, for fear of fire, but I tried the 8mm bolts, and there's no threads to grab, and I did a bunch of other brake work (caliper, lspv, lines, MC) and I've been bleeding the holy living heck out of everything, but still got no pedal, so i gota assume it's a wheel cylinder overextending or leaking, but I can't get the stupid drum off. Anyone got any ideas, suggestions, or should I just shoot the truck and then myself...?
I don't know if u already figured this out but skip to 2:59 in this vid:
Old 08-27-2015, 11:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If everything fails there's always this:

Amazon.com: OTC 6980 Heavy Duty Brake Drum and Rotor Puller: Automotive Amazon.com: OTC 6980 Heavy Duty Brake Drum and Rotor Puller: Automotive

Stout? (Not mine)

Last edited by Odin; 08-27-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Stuck Brake Drums, Could use some help!