Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Strange cooling system goings on (22RE)....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Strange cooling system goings on (22RE)....

Hi guys,

Recently, I took off my timing cover to adddress an oil leak where the head meets it. When putting it all back together, I forgot to use a gasket on the driver's side water pipe....and with those 3 really hard to get to bolts on the back, it didn't create a good seal.

So now, my coolant system leaks at idle (and I'm sure under load!) from where the pipe meets the back of the timing cover. I have a couple gallons of distilled water I carry with me in the truck and top off whenever I can. I plan to address this soon, but haven't had the time, since we just moved.

ANYWAY....here's the other question(s) I have, since I've been keeping a real sharp eye on the thermostat gauge on the dash, expecting to overheat any given day....

When I start the truck, it runs fine. The gauge on the dash is at LOW temp, and then 5-10 minutes after starting up, I hear a change in the idle and the gauge pops up to the middle, indicating normal operating temp and the opening of the thermostat, right? However...today, after running some errands and keeping the truck idling, I squeezed the top radiator hose, and it had zero fluid in it. Also, the radiator was lukewarm! I (carefully) unscrewed the radiator cap, and there was no pressure built up - it came right off (this is a new cap too). Fluid was showing in the radiator, but it didn't appear too high...just above the "fins" I could see in by peering into the radiator neck. I topped it off with about a pint or so of distilled water, and the water level finally rose to just below the neck, so I capped it off. I continued my errands, got home and checked the top hose again - it was warm, full of fluid, and the radiator was hot (normal, right?).

So I'm wondering, what's happening? I'm leaking coolant - I get it. BUT, why would my thermostat open (and DID IT??) if there is no coolant running through the top hose (the thermostat is just ahead of the top hose, so it would, in theory, let (hot) water through the top hose when open, right?).

I do plan to address the coolant pipe leak soon, but am wondering if there is something else wrong other than low coolant levels. Is there a possiblity that I'm causing damage without knowing about it (since the thermostat indicates normal operating temp)?

Apologies for the rambling nature of this post....not sure how otherwise to describe it....

Phil
Old 02-19-2011, 02:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like the thermostat opened, let water through the top hose and into the radiator just like it should. When the water pump is spinning, it pulls coolant from the bottom of the radiator, so as long as there's a little bit of coolant in there it has something to pull into the engine. The engine can be full of coolant but the radiator low, but only when it's running. Once you shut the engine off the levels will equalize. I probably didn't build pressure because you don't have a sealed system - pressure leaked out the bad/missing gasket. Make sense, or did I miss the point of the question?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:35 PM

thanks Keith - that makes logical sense to me now, envisioning the flow. So, the thermostat opens, but because the overall system fluid level is low, it's not enough to fully fill the upper hose...it just trickles into the radiator, where gravity and the water pump pull it through the engine and back up to the thermostat.

This also explains why I don't get any reading in my new autometer water temp gauage, which I had installed in the upper hose...."hot" water keeps running underneath the sensor and not through it

Thanks!

Phil
Old 02-19-2011, 03:14 PM

exactly - might also play with the factory coolant sensors a bit for the same reason as your autometer gauge
Old 02-19-2011, 04:20 PM

Thanks Again Keith!

So, you live in Eugene, but you have a Stone Arrogant Bastard Avatar?....must be hard not to prefer the local brews up there I was just in Portland (and Eugene for a night) for business a couple weeks back and REALLY enjoyed the local microbrews up there!

Ninkasi IPA is one of my favorites!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Philbert
Thanks Again Keith!

So, you live in Eugene, but you have a Stone Arrogant Bastard Avatar?....must be hard not to prefer the local brews up there I was just in Portland (and Eugene for a night) for business a couple weeks back and REALLY enjoyed the local microbrews up there!

Ninkasi IPA is one of my favorites!
I'm just starting to get my toes wet with the local microbrews, but Stone is still my favorite.
When I was in SoCal for 2 years, I'd end every night with Stone IPA, Porter or Arrogant Bastard - kinda spoiled me for a while. Plus, I love the descriptions they put on the bottle, that alone is enough to make me smile at the end of a day
Old 02-20-2011, 09:32 PM

Well, if you have it up there, be sure the check out the brewery Lagunitas, from Norcal...they have similar clever musings on their bottles (22 oz.), and GREAT brews!