Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stiff Suspension - Recommendations? (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Stiff Suspension - Recommendations? (with pics)

Hey guys, I have got a pretty stiff ride on my 90 pickup that I bought approx. 3 months ago. When I go over even the smallest bump the entire truck jumps a little bit. Driving on any kind of terrain other than pavement, like snow most recently, feels like a Disneyland ride or something. It was fun at first but the honeymoon is over.

I don't know very much about suspensions in general. I do know that I've got about a 4" lift, Rancho RS 5000 shocks all around, and from what I can judge from paperwork, they've got at least 50-60k on them. They probably just need to be replaced, I don't know. I'm hoping someone here can give a recommendation for me. I want to keep the lift (might want to upgrade to 33x10.5 in the next year, currently have 30x9.5) but I want a smoother ride. I don't do any serious off-roading, but I go into the mountains most weekends to get to my cabin or to go to trailheads (pretty rough roads). Just weekend warrior destination stuff.

Here are a few pictures if they help at all. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Monochrome; 12-28-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monochrome
Hey guys, I have got a pretty stiff ride on my 90 pickup that I bought approx. 3 months ago. When I go over even the smallest bump the entire truck jumps a little bit. Driving on any kind of terrain other than pavement, like snow most recently, feels like a Disneyland ride or something. It was fun at first but the honeymoon is over.

I don't know very much about suspensions in general. I do know that I've got about a 4" lift, Rancho RS 5000 shocks all around, and from what I can judge from paperwork, they've got at least 50-60k on them. They probably just need to be replaced, I don't know. I'm hoping someone here can give a recommendation for me. I want to keep the lift (might want to upgrade to 33x10.5 in the next year, currently have 30x9.5) but I want a smoother ride. I don't do any serious off-roading, but I go into the mountains most weekends to get to my cabin or to go to trailheads (pretty rough roads). Just weekend warrior destination stuff.

Here are a few pictures if they help at all. Thanks in advance.

I hate to be the one to tell you, but I don't think there is a 4" lift on your truck. If it had 4" lift, there would be drop brackets for the diff in the front and a block or different springs in the rear and your 30x9.50's would look like spare tire donuts compared to what it really needs. I am sorry that i have to be the one bring it up.

Before you get too far, should make sure that you don't have 4" lift shocks on a stock height truck.

Once you determine that, I think you should look into some different shocks in the back first. With a stiff truck shock in the back with no weight, you are going to have a rough ride. Look into doestch tech MV12 shocks for the back. The are really nice, high quality pieces. I can't say exactly what ones you need and if that is even the best choice because i don't have leaf springs on my 4runner. But they are sweet and really soak up the bumps. For the fronts, I like my bilsteins, but I wouldn't mind trying some different ones at some point.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:42 PM

Yeah it doesnt look like you have a lift on there, because I had the same tires on mine and the wheel well to tire height seems about the same, like alex said, I think you may have lift shocks with no lift!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 04:47 PM

It looks to me like you have been snookered on the lift!!!!! You have a thick old add a leaf in the rear and the front looks like the torsion bars are smoked tight as they can be the add a leaf is the problem in the back and the torsion bars are the problem up front loosen up the front bars and pull that add a leaf out and you will be a happier camper with the ride
Old 12-28-2008, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the heads up, that's good to know. I feel pretty stupid, but it's always nice to become a bit less ignorant.

So, if I loosen the torsion bars a bit and remove the AAL I should be fine? Would that lower the truck to stock height? I'll go consult my manual but I assume that's something I can do myself, right? Should I replace the shocks anyway?
Old 12-28-2008, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the heads up, that's good to know. I feel pretty stupid, but it's always nice to become a bit less ignorant.

So, if I loosen the torsion bars a bit and remove the AAL I should be fine? Would that lower the truck to stock height? I'll go consult my manual but I assume that's something I can do myself, right? Should I replace the shocks anyway?
It happens to the best of us.

Should be fine. Make sure to spray down the torsion bar adjuster bolts liberally with penetrating lube so they are easier to turn.

For the AAL's, you need to support the frame of the truck on jack stands and remove the tires. Support the axle with a floor jack and unbolt the axle u-bolts, then you can slowly lower the axle down and remove the AAL and bolt it back together. Leaf spring guys add in any extra tips for this.

Monochrome, where are you located? if you are nearby, I might be able take a look at it if you want or help wrench a bit.

Last edited by Alex 400; 12-28-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:54 PM

And the center bolt holding the pack together. I usually get new c. bolts.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:06 PM

No prob man it happens to every body once in a while. Yeah the truck is going to come down when you loosen the bolts up front and when you pull the add a leaf out it will come down some. But you will have plenty of room with the tires that are on there. I would not mess with the shocks till you drive it after you do the above
Old 12-28-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To me, that front arm doesn't looked very much cranked- sure it's angled down, but only about 20 degrees. Looking at the boots on those shocks: they look way compressed indicating the shocks are at full compression. Peel the boot off the top of the shock and look. That may be your 4" lift.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:27 PM

Thanks Abe. I will go check and report back. I do have another question out of ignorance -- if the shocks were at full compression, how could they be providing lift? Wouldn't the truck sit even lower without any lift at all because they're not fully extended? And if they were at full compression, what would you recommend?

Thanks again.

Oh, and Alex, I live near the U District so if I can't get this stuff worked out maybe I'll holler at ya. Thanks for the offer.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:29 PM

well, longer shocks for a lift are longer than stock. if they're fully compressed they're still longer than stock.
maybe get the part number of the shock bodies and look them up.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:53 PM

I went and checked out the shocks, and I don't think they're in full compression. I looked at tons of images on the internet of the shocks (Rancho RS 5000s) and the boots all look the same, if not less compressed on my truck. Here is a better image with the boot pulled up slightly:

So, assuming the shocks aren't providing the lift, is it most likely that the ~20 degree angle of the bars and the poor AAL in the rear are giving me the stiff suspension?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:03 PM

okay, well looks better now... yeah, cranked bars will ride rough. and the aal's will stiffen the rear up a bit too.
I'm tired. I'll go back to my corner.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:32 PM

...shocks dont provide lift, springs do. or in this case. the AAD and the cranked torsion bars. which are causing the stiff ride.

Last edited by sa51; 12-28-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:59 PM

Oh, and Alex, I live near the U District so if I can't get this stuff worked out maybe I'll holler at ya. Thanks for the offer.
Oh ok. Yeah i live up in shoreline. Yeah i am here until the 4th and then i go back to school at CWU, so i am here for a little while longer. Anytime.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Get some BJ spacers for the front if you want to keep the height that you have now. Then you can adjust the t-bars lower for a softer ride.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 AM

Sorry to be such a noob, but I can't tell in either of my manuals exactly what/where I'm supposed to adjust to loosen the torsion bars. Does anyone have a picture? I searched old threads and someone posted a picture but has since taken it down. And do I for sure need to get the wheels off the ground to loosen them, or only to tighten them?

I'll think about the BJ spacers once I can see if loosening the T-bars will fix the suspension stiffness.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 AM

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=398514
Old 12-31-2008, 02:50 AM
GDR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sure looks like you have Downey leaf springs in the back.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:37 AM

IMHO - the T-bars don't look too cranked - best bet is to measure - I believe the stock fender to rim height is 13.5" ish ( not sure -a search would clear this up) measure your truck and compare before jumping to conclusions. These trucks ride kinda stiff as is and I can only imagine an unloaded truck with an add-a-leaf would make it more so.

Good advice on the shocks - again only way to know is to check the shocks travel- not going to be able to tell by looking at a plastc shaft cover....

Nice truck!

Last edited by Hophead; 12-31-2008 at 05:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Stiff Suspension - Recommendations? (with pics)