86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sticky Clutch and Clutch Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sticky Clutch and Clutch Fluid

Ok, after work I went to get into my truck (89 4WD V6 5spd with about 212K miles on it), it started fine and got half way to where the wifey works, on the way there the truck would not shift out of gear or into gear. I figured out I could turn the truck off and shift it into gear when it’s off, probably not the best thing for it but got me to my wife and the parking lot. The clutch pedal felt very soft and was not springing back out, so I did a quick search on my phone on the site and read that if there is no clutch fluid, that could cause it. I checked that and there was no fluid, which I was surprised because I try to check all the fluids every 2-3 months. I did notice it sticking in early December, but just figured it was just the cold weather, because it stopped after the truck got warm. My mother in law lives close and was able to purchase some Dot 3 break fluid and I filled the sucker up pumped the clutch about a hundred times and truck went in and out of gear fine. Drove it this morning on the freeway to work and it was fine.

I had the clutch replaced by a dealer mechanic who does stuff on the side, in early 2008, and the clutch was fine after that and fluid was fine, he also replaced a hose that was leaking clutch fluid.

Two things that I’m curious about seeing if it could have caused the no fluid in the clutch.

I started parking the truck outside, for the last 2-3 years it was garaged, about 2 months ago. It doesn’t get super cold here during the winter nights, usually in the 40s, but about half a dozen times it has gotten into the high 20s and a dozen times in the 30s, in the day time its gets into the 50-60s. Also I drive the truck every other week as the wife and I trade off which car we take.

I replaced the aftermarket starter, it was not starting consistently, with a Toyota refurb one. I replaced the contacts on the aftermarket starter about 2 years ago and was still giving me problems. After replacing the starter 3-4 weeks ago, I have had no problems. The aftermarket seemed smaller than the Toyota so it was difficult to get it in.

So is there a possibility the cold weather may have caused whatever clutch fluid left to dissipate or something or did I maybe accidently loosen or break a fluid line to the clutch when I installed the new starter? I haven’t had a chance to check under the truck but haven’t noticed any fluid dripping on the driveway.

Thanks in advance for any comments of suggestion you guys may have.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:23 PM

it could have a small leak out of the back of the clutch master cylinder, which would leak into the truck, not outside. Take a look underneath the dash and if you see fluid around the rod, thats your culprit. Its a sealed system, it wont dissipate, just leak out.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:50 PM

I looked at it and doesn't appear to be leaking. I wiped it down, some dust dirt on it, and will check it every few days along with checking the level of the fluid.

Any other suggestions???
Old 01-08-2009, 06:22 AM

The boot on the slave cylinder on the transmission. You can pull the boot back(just a dust boot) and look inside, that also should be dry. I cant see it being a line or a hose because if it was, you would see a leak.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:44 AM

Thanks 22mr2. I drove the truck again this morning and one instance the pedal did not got back to normal position when I depressed it, so I lifted it with my foot and was able to shift. This happened about 2 mins after I left my house so I pulled over checked the fluid in the resovoir and inside the the truck behind the clutch pedal fluid looked normal height and none behind the pedal.

I tried looking online for what slave cylinder looks like and wasn't sure if what I was found was correct. Do you have a pix or link to what it would look like?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 AM

Ok, is this the slave cylinder?

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../6clutchre.pdf

and its connected on the tranny under the truck?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

sounds more like the clutch master.. might be time fore a new one... sometimes they leak under the dash, and you will get fluid on the carpet or mat,
Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by DudeBud
sounds more like the clutch master.. might be time fore a new one... sometimes they leak under the dash, and you will get fluid on the carpet or mat,
I checked under the dash and no fluid, none on the floor of the truck or the arm that goes into the master.

I've read the Slave is just the unconnecting the line and two bolts and replace with the new slave. How similar or difficult is the Master? The dealer has the slave for $65 and the master for $113, I can get them cheaper as my wife's friend works there.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

the master can also leak under the hood onto the firewall both the mater and the slave are fairly simple to replace. 2 bolts and a line for the slave, 2 nuts, a line and 1 bolt under the dash for the master.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:53 AM

Ok, so I checked the slave and there was some fluid on it. I pulled back the boot and about 2 tablespoon of fluid came out. Looks like I will be replacing the slave. Hopefully this resolves the entire problem. Besides the link I posted above any other write ups you guys suggest I take a look at?

Thanks again for your help everyone.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:21 PM

^ Any updates? Im curious to know if the slave fixed it.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:33 PM

Opps, forgot to do the update, had thought about it but just slipped my mind. Well I bought the slave and replaced it, took me about 2 hours, from start to finish. Bleed it with the help of the wife and no problems with the clutch or the fluid. Checked the slave no leaks, checked the reservoir, normal amount of fluid last weekend. From the look of it the clutch feels fine and fluid is not leaking, and it is at the normal level so I believe the problem is solved. Thank you everyone who posted a response with their comments and suggestions, appreciate it alot.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:31 PM

^ The reason I was asking is because my buddy had the exact same problem. I helped him replace both the slave and the main clutch master cylinder and the problem is now solved. Plus he got those parts at AutoZone, and got life time warranty on them.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't there a return spring (under the dash) on the clutch pedal?
So if the pedal doesn't come back up....
Just looked... yup there is.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by socal_style
^ The reason I was asking is because my buddy had the exact same problem. I helped him replace both the slave and the main clutch master cylinder and the problem is now solved. Plus he got those parts at AutoZone, and got life time warranty on them.
I went with a Toyota part. I thought I had a original Toyota Starter that was giving me problems so I replaced the contacts and was fine for about 6-7 months but every once in a while it would not start for about 10-15mins. I would have to just try to start it and after sometime it worked. I got tired of this after about 18-24 months and decided to replace the start with a refurb one from Toyota, which I realized the one in the truck was an aftermarket. After replacing it I haven't had any issues with the truck starting and it has a deeper/throatier start. Hoping to get +100K miles on the starter at which point I think the truck will run it's last leg.

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Isn't there a return spring (under the dash) on the clutch pedal?
So if the pedal doesn't come back up....
Just looked... yup there is.

I checked that also, but the spring was fine. Once the slave was replaced I haven't had any problems and after 2 months the fluid level was perfect. So looks like the problem has been resolved.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
here's to (hopefully) many miles of driving
Old 04-10-2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
here's to (hopefully) many miles of driving
Thank you.