86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering relay rod replacement safety recall notice

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Steering relay rod replacement safety recall notice

so today i got a ssc 50N-steering relay rod replacement safety recall notice in my mail, i have no idea how they got my po box number either, in the booklet it says i can get my steering relay replaced for free. I read some forums on this and found out that is not a good idea. Do any of you think i need to replace it or can i drive with it? i drove for about year and a half and still have no problems(knock on wood). I really dont do any sharp turns or anything and i know when taking a sharp turn i try not to turn my steering wheel all the way till the end, so do any of you guys think it is worth it do it? Or can i still drive with it?
Old 01-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im gettin mine replaced as soon as i get a clear weekend to rebuild my front end. you don't really NEED to get it done, but the thought of goin down a road or around a corner and loosing all my steering does not sound very good to me.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cccp
so do any of you guys think it is worth it do it? Or can i still drive with it?
dude did you even look at this forum before you posted cause there is a sticky thread at the very top with (at last check) has 10 pages of our "feedback" on this very topic.

drive on it till it breaks, just hope it isnt when your doing 70 down the interstate just as you hit a pot hole.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go get it replaced. If it is bad enough that Toyota did a recall they did it for safety. I had mine done and no problems or extra charges. Just get it done at a dealer you can trust. I would never ignore a recall personally. It is not worth it for it to break a year down the road and then needing a tow and pay for it when you could have had it all done for free
Old 01-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It's free, so get it done. by the way, why start a third thread about this.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:12 PM

im gonna have mine done but im making them replace the tie rods and do my allignment for free.. considering its Toyotas mistake none of ours.. if they dont fix it.. ill get ahold of the big boss man.. cause im not payin for anything.. maybe you should check into it and talk to some people at Toyota...
Old 01-17-2006, 06:36 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by celica
Go get it replaced. If it is bad enough that Toyota did a recall they did it for safety. I had mine done and no problems or extra charges. Just get it done at a dealer you can trust. I would never ignore a recall personally. It is not worth it for it to break a year down the road and then needing a tow and pay for it when you could have had it all done for free
You completely missed the point. (edit: I mean everyone who thinks they don't need to get it done, not celica)

GET IT DONE. IT'S NOT WORTH IT FOR IT TO BREAK A YEAR DOWN THE ROAD AND KILLING YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY CUZ YOU WERE TOO DAMNED STUPID TO LISTEN WHEN TOYOTA SAID **DANGEROUS CONDITION THAT CAN RESULT IN INJURY OR DEATH**

NHTSA RECALLS are not service bulletins. They are issued according to Federal Law because a danger to you ACTUALLY EXISTS. Jeez. children these days...

Last edited by Flamedx4; 01-17-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:40 AM

I say have it done. It is free and does not take long. I am not really worried about mine breaking, but I am going in Monday. In the sticky thread, Honger and 4Hummer posted a PDF with the info. Kudos to them! Pages 2 and 18 clearly say the shop has to align the vehicle as a final step. Free parts, install, and alignment? Who would refuse that?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by cccp
so today i got a ssc 50N-steering relay rod replacement safety recall notice in my mail, i have no idea how they got my po box number either, in the booklet it says i can get my steering relay replaced for free. I read some forums on this and found out that is not a good idea. Do any of you think i need to replace it or can i drive with it? i drove for about year and a half and still have no problems(knock on wood). I really dont do any sharp turns or anything and i know when taking a sharp turn i try not to turn my steering wheel all the way till the end, so do any of you guys think it is worth it do it? Or can i still drive with it?
Yes, you should have it done. Toyota is standing behind their vehicles. The key thing you need to keep in mind is finding a "dependable dealer" and one you really trust. I hope after this recall, Toyota compiles it's findings from the service done and responds appropriately to questionable dealer practices.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:54 PM

dude, you're in summit county! get the dang thing fixed, it's not like you can feel it go, it will just go. and you'll be flying down the pass out of control.
be absolutely sure of your dealer. really bad stories being told on the forum. personally, mine couldn't have gone better.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:06 AM

mine is in the shop today, I figure, it's free, and not worth the consenques of not fixing it. You have to trust your dealer which isn't always easy but in the end you only have control over so much; and eventually you just have to let some things go and walk by faith
Old 02-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Exclamation

I hadn't really thought about it until now, but say you don't get the recall done. Down the road, it breaks, and you end up killing or maiming friends or family.

Besides the guilty feelings that you are going to have, I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility that you could also be held LEGALLY responsible (probably along with TMC), if it were proven that you knew about the recall!

It's simply not worth it from any angle. I'll be getting mine done as soon as I bring my beastie back to life - hopefully with a 3.4 doing the work!

Again, as was also stated - You're in SUMMIT county!!! If you do even the slightest bit of wheeling around here, there's all kinds of potential for disaster if you lose your steering!! I'm thinking in terms of being on the Peak 10 road to 4th of July Bowl. Just think about what you would do if you suddenly couldn't turn around any of those switchbacks!! That would be a nasty ride down, and, provided you bailed out in time, you'd have some pretty hefty recovery bills for your truck, as well as a boatload of fines from the forest service!! Yeah, you're going to have to make a trip to Denver or Glenwood, but you'll be better off in the long run. BTW, I had good service from Stevinson West on Colfax and I-70, back when I still had dealership work being done - it's where I plan to take mine.

Last edited by breknraj; 02-05-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by javadoody
personally, mine couldn't have gone better.
Javadoody...where did you take yours? How crusty is the truck underneath? Did they even metion tie rods or idler arm? Full alignment??

When will the snow ever melt?