Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

stealership woes!!! need assistance

Old 10-10-2007, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy stealership woes!!! need assistance

I'm Brand new to yotatech and so far i can't believe i've never found this site before. I've owned toy 4x4's since the mid 80's and sure could of used this site over the years. Toyota 4x4's till i die!!! I've owned every year made up to 1989 which brings me to my current problem and hope someone can give me some advise on the matter. Toyota had a recall on my truck for the steering rod (cener link). I took my truck to the local dealer (reluctantly) and had them perform the replacement. When i got my truck back i noticed immediatley that it was pulling hard to the right. I immediatley turned around and went back to the dealer and told the service manager that i think they forgot to align the truck. To my surprise they told me that something was bent and they could not align the truck. They said they had the camber adjusted as far as they could go and I would have to have the suspension tore down to determine what is bent. I'm thinking what the !@#$??? The truck tracked perfectly and had little or no play in the steering prior to the steering link replacement. I asked the service manager to explain to me why my truck seemed to be aligned perfectly before the steering rod replacement. I don't think i got a satisfactory answer from him. How could something be bent yet it was aligned ok before the replacement. I asked a couple of indi alignment shops and they said that it didn't make sense what the dealer told me. Can anyone give me some feedback on this matter? I'm taking it to my local tire guy and he's going to check it out and align it. Love this site by the way.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I would just take it in to a trusted shop.

Somtimes the stealership can do dirty dirty things.. pretty sad
Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 PM

This is one of the reasons I haven't taken my truck in yet. Either they find a bunch of other stuff they have to replace...or they f it up. Hope you get it sorted out.

Jason
Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can recommend a shop to you in San Diego.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 PM

stealership woes

Yea....i'll be taking it to my regular guy tomorrow. I just can't believe how bad the dealer sucks!!!! This is the first 2nd gen. toy 4x4 xtracab i've owned and love the truck so far. This is my first experience with the infamus 3VZE and i can see i have my work cut out for me. I've only owned 22r and re and have always performed all the work myself. The truck has 202,000 and seems very strong. Just had compression check and major service performed. Timing Belt,Water pump, Cam Bearings, Belts, Wires plugs cap and filter. Does it make sense what they are saying though? I didn't think so. How could replacing the steering rod (unless they are using one with different dimensions push my alignment so far out of wack.

1989 Toy 4X4 Extra-cab SR5
32/11.50/15"
3.0 5 speed
Old 10-10-2007, 09:29 PM

San Diego shop

I wish san Diego was just a little closer I would take you up on your offer. hard to find techs you can trust now a days.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It sounds to me like they screwed up. The replacement rod should be the same size as the original, and there should be enough adjustment in the tie rod threads to make up for any minute differences.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
they definately screwed up. the only thing it should change is the toe. Caster, and Camber should remain the same. Usually they take measurements before aligning to see if it needs it. See if they have a copy.

I had a screwey time with the dealership aligning my truck too. They aligned it correctly, but with the steering wheel slightly turned to the left, and when i came back they insisted that it had been aligned properly. They realigned it with the steering wheel straight the second time, but when i got it back there was some bead lubricant (the stuff you use when mounting tires to get the beads to slip in easier) on all 4 tires, and they appeared as if they had been taken off, and remounted.

If you look at the recall thread somewhere in there is a copy of the recall notice (50N). Print out a copy and take it down to the dealership, and talk to the service manager. It says the last step is to properly align the vehicle. See if they'll do the work again, and let you watch this time.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's a huge 19 page thread on the subject: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...8-t100s-66901/
Old 10-11-2007, 07:50 AM

Someone prolly bent something for you , talk to the management there and keep your horns down and repeat ..........this is your problem , FIX IT !
Old 10-11-2007, 09:00 AM

i got my recal fixed and they couldent align it because it was lifted.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by run4her
i got my recal fixed and they couldent align it because it was lifted.
Another shovelfull of BS, lots of us have lifted trucks that are ailgned
Old 10-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm... very strange... my truck was done and it came back the way it went in no change in the alignment noticed... the new centre link is slightly beefier in appearance from the old one but the connection points are the same... [they only forgot the cotter pins to lock the castled nuts, see my post with pics! (shameless self promotion I know )]... When they were removing the old parts the techie may have removed some parts that did'nt need it and put them back wrong... but I don't think it would have been malicious, just a boo-boo, that being said they should make it right... if they don't get it in writing and take it up with Toyota USA head office... it will help if you still have the bill from the last alignment if it was recent...
I hate it when bad dealers give our trucks a bad name...
Aviator
ps have you registerd your ownership with Toyota yet? don't forget to check you truck's status on the old headgasket recall too...

Last edited by aviator; 10-11-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:47 PM

Sounds like the stealership busted something and doesn't want to own up to it. Stay in there a$$ and threaten to call corporate, you'll get your way real quick...trust me
Old 10-11-2007, 08:00 PM

Talking ***Update on recall!!!!!*****

I just wanted to update you all on the steering rod fiasco. I went to my local indi and had him check it out. After they got it on the rack they noticed that for some reason or other the dealer moved the caster adjustment on the driver side 180 degrees off to what it should be. Strange!! The caster was 2 degrees off. (no wonder it was pulling) After he corrected the caster it aligned just fine. So needless to say i went straight to the dealer from there with paperwork in hand. Gave it to service rep and he looked at it and he literally said oh #$it! Not sure what that was all about. He said i'll be right back. He was gone for about 10 minutes and then asked me if they had the correct address and that they would be mailing me a check. Can you guys believe that crap??? You can bet I won't be going back there. the motto of the story.....don't EVER take your car to a dealer. Had i been some joe blo off the street i probably would have paid them to fix something that was not broke. Thanks for all the replies and toyota 4x4's till i die!!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
glad to hear you got it all fixed. some dealerships actually are good from what i hear, but i've yet to find em lol
Old 10-12-2007, 03:12 AM

What an idiot.........the always hype up dealership mechanics, like they are all master techs.....in reality there are alot of idiots working there
Old 10-12-2007, 05:06 AM

Stealership Woes

Good Job on getting them to at least pay for their ignorance , it a shame the Stealer wouldn't at least check it out for you and try to see if they made a mistake but at least you got them to pay up and got your ride straight !!
At least now you know where not to go hehe
Old 10-12-2007, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

At least the sealer is making it right right away... sometimes, unfortunately, you have to prove to them it is screwed up. Not so much because they are being dirty but more because there are unscrupulous jerks out there who will try to get work done for free and the dealers are just protecting themselves and even indie shops do that.
The dealer I went to said the same thing about what they messed up on my recall work [haha]...
Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

I drive 20 miles each way now to the dealership in another town to even order a 50 cent part after my steering rod fiasco. I refuse to even set foot in the dealership that did mine ever again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stealership woes!!! need assistance