YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Starting issues (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/starting-issues-305490/)

deadstroke35 08-26-2018 12:58 PM

Starting issues

I have a 94 T100 with 3.0 3vze. Early mornings truck starts up fine. Shut it off within a few mins truck will just turn over won’t start. A spray of starting fluid and she fires right up and runs good. I have noticed here recently it will die on idle at times then won’t start back with out the starting fluid. I have replaced pump and filter. Still no change. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated

87-4runner 08-26-2018 01:24 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...18a6f6e981.jpg

deadstroke35 08-26-2018 01:29 PM

Also I am getting fuel to the regulator when she is not wanting to start. I have ran vacuum lines and everything I know to do. When it doesn’t start I can spray it and starts fine. Or let it sit a while and try again later and starts right up. Any suggestions at all

75w90mantraN 08-26-2018 01:44 PM

Fuel smell anywhere as you crank?

87-4runner 08-26-2018 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by deadstroke35 (Post 52406673)
Also I am getting fuel to the regulator when she is not wanting to start. I have ran vacuum lines and everything I know to do. When it doesn’t start I can spray it and starts fine. Or let it sit a while and try again later and starts right up. Any suggestions at all

just because your getting fuel to the regulator doesn't mean it's getting enough pressure to the fuel rail...

deadstroke35 08-26-2018 03:07 PM

What makes me think regulator is good is that sometimes the truck starts right up on its own. I also pulled the vacuum hose to it and checked the suction on the diaphragm and it held suction. Could next step possibly be checking fuel pressure coming out of regulator. And what’s the best procedure for that

deadstroke35 08-26-2018 03:12 PM

And yes I can smell fuel. Doesn’t seem like it’s flooding as it will start with starting fluid when it acts up. I may be wrong on that though

87-4runner 08-26-2018 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by deadstroke35 (Post 52406686)
What makes me think regulator is good is that sometimes the truck starts right up on its own. I also pulled the vacuum hose to it and checked the suction on the diaphragm and it held suction. Could next step possibly be checking fuel pressure coming out of regulator. And what’s the best procedure for that

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...3118e69476.jpg

deadstroke35 08-26-2018 05:38 PM

For that much for a pressure tester I’d be better off to just buy the relay. Thanks for the help I’ll let y’all know if this fixes the issue.

wallytoo 08-27-2018 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by deadstroke35 (Post 52406703)
For that much for a pressure tester I’d be better off to just buy the relay. Thanks for the help I’ll let y’all know if this fixes the issue.

how will installing a relay solve a fuel delivery issue, if fuel delivery is the issue? a relay will NEVER be able to verify that the fuel system has the correct pressure. EVER.

deadstroke35 08-27-2018 02:59 AM

Meant to say regulator not relay lol

deadstroke35 08-28-2018 05:38 PM

Well replaced regulator and still have same issue. I do seem to notice the truck is wanting to die more when I let off the gas like to stop also when leave it to idle and run in store I com bk and it’s quit and won’t start back unless I spray it. I checked the fault codes I get 12,13,22, and 25. I don’t have a clue as to where to go from here.

scope103 08-28-2018 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by deadstroke35 (Post 52406873)
... I checked the fault codes I get 12,13,22, and 25. I don’t have a clue as to where to go from here.

To a mechanic?

Do you "not have a clue" because you don't know what the Trouble Codes mean? Or you know what they mean, but you don't know the next steps in diagnosis?
Here are the codes: http://web.archive.org/web/201211190...85diagnosi.pdf

12 and 13 have to do with circuits that run through the distributor. 22 has to do with the circuit that runs through the ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor. 25 has to do with mixture. You COULD just start replacing the distributor, the coolant sensor, the O2 sensor .... How well has blindly replacing parts worked for you so far?

The FSM tells you the possible causes, with references to other parts of the manual.

deadstroke35 08-28-2018 07:28 PM

I know what the codes mean I’m just not sure of the next step in diagnosis. This truck is my daily at the moment and the truck quiting at red lights and having to get out and give a shot of starting fluid to get it going again or not starting on its own is really frustrating. I’ll look through the fsm tomorrow and see what info I can get from there as to where to check next.

Kolton5543 08-29-2018 10:53 PM

Don't throw parts at it. It sounds like it is running too lean so we'll start with that. Codes 12 and 13 are for distributor issues and likely related to the random stalling issue. Focus on the starting issue so lets put 12 and 13 to the side for now. 22 is a coolant temp sensor circuit and 25 indicates lean. 25 looks to be why it doesn't start however it is set as a result of another problem. Likely because of code 22. The coolant temp sensor dictates how much fuel the engine should receive. It gives a resistance value based on temperature. High resistance indicates cold, low resistance indicates hot. Cold adds fuel, hot pulls fuel. The Toyot ECU isn't very smart and is only going to know of a circuit problem there if the resistance value is way out of its expected range. In this case, I am willing to bet the coolant temp sensor shorts the signal wire to ground when its hot making for a lean condition. Unplug the sensor when hot and see if the truck tries to start. Remove the sensor and test in a pot of hot water. Don't ask how. Do some reading. In the 86-95 thread there is a sticky containing a factory service manual. Go there to find the resistance values it should have. If it test bad, replace it. After wards we'll look back into codes 12 and 13

deadstroke35 08-30-2018 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kolton5543 (Post 52406990)
Don't throw parts at it. It sounds like it is running too lean so we'll start with that. Codes 12 and 13 are for distributor issues and likely related to the random stalling issue. Focus on the starting issue so lets put 12 and 13 to the side for now. 22 is a coolant temp sensor circuit and 25 indicates lean. 25 looks to be why it doesn't start however it is set as a result of another problem. Likely because of code 22. The coolant temp sensor dictates how much fuel the engine should receive. It gives a resistance value based on temperature. High resistance indicates cold, low resistance indicates hot. Cold adds fuel, hot pulls fuel. The Toyot ECU isn't very smart and is only going to know of a circuit problem there if the resistance value is way out of its expected range. In this case, I am willing to bet the coolant temp sensor shorts the signal wire to ground when its hot making for a lean condition. Unplug the sensor when hot and see if the truck tries to start. Remove the sensor and test in a pot of hot water. Don't ask how. Do some reading. In the 86-95 thread there is a sticky containing a factory service manual. Go there to find the resistance values it should have. If it test bad, replace it. After wards we'll look back into codes 12 and 13

Thanks for the help. I’ll check the coolant temp sensor tonight and get bk in touch.