YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Starter going bad. Which one to buy? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/starter-going-bad-one-buy-307742/)

snippits 05-21-2019 04:38 PM

Starter going bad. Which one to buy?

Need one for a 92 Toyota pickup 22RE rear wheel drive five speed. Mine sounds like it has bad bearings.

Found out there is a standard 1.0 KW and and optional 1.4 KW. Price is about the same. Thinking about buying Denso reman, but am open to suggestions or experiences.

Thanks!

old87yota 05-21-2019 05:10 PM

I would vote for a genuine Denso re-manufactured starter that is re-manufactured by Denso itself. :great:

:safari:

RAD4Runner 05-21-2019 05:59 PM

I bought 1.4KW with Toyota warranty from Toyota Parts Deal online.

jakey poo 05-22-2019 07:18 AM

If its not your daily driver you could always pull it and have it rebuilt. I just had my alternator done at a local shop for the fraction of the cost of a reman, two day turn around.

Paul22RE 05-22-2019 04:48 PM

What do they replace in a reman? Just contacts, spring & bearing and then clean the windings/magnet? I guess if Denso does the reman, they will use a Denso bearing. Wonder what bearing a local shop will use?.

snippits 05-22-2019 04:58 PM

I have one local shop that does alternators and starters, but I had a bad experience there a long time ago. Same jokers still run it, so rebuilding it is not going to happen.

"Note: Denso partners with other manufacturers to supply the parts your car was originally built with. This product is in a Denso package, however the part may have been manufactured by an independent Denso supplier."

I figure Toyota is doing the same thing that Denso is with the reman starters.

jazz1 05-23-2019 10:50 AM

I would get the original rebuilt however if thats not a option by Denso or name brand, never cheap out on the starter, its sort of critical component.

Co_94_PU 05-23-2019 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by snippits (Post 52424369)
Need one for a 92 Toyota pickup 22RE rear wheel drive five speed. Mine sounds like it has bad bearings.

Found out there is a standard 1.0 KW and and optional 1.4 KW. Price is about the same. Thinking about buying Denso reman, but am open to suggestions or experiences.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner (Post 52424375)
I bought 1.4KW with Toyota warranty from Toyota Parts Deal online.

If you live in a cold climate the extra performance is good peice of mind.

If you have a manual transmission and use the starter for crawling out of a bad spot on an off-road trail, again good investment.

It's worth noting that these Denso components aren't getting the same care and attention (direct from 1980's Japan) as they used to. A lot of the North American market stuff comes from the Tennessee facility and South of the border. The QC is hit and miss but they still have a good warranty system asking as you don't mind being down for a few days while stuff gets shipped back and forth.

snippits 05-24-2019 09:57 AM

It's fixed yay! Bought a Carquest reman from Advance with lifetime warranty. After using a 25% discount code, and a $5 Speed Perks reward my cost was $44.93 total.

I got the 1.0 kW version because they did not have any of the 1.4 in stock, and the only way to get it was to order it, and have it shipped to the house, but that was going to take a couple weeks. The Carquest reman starters are built by BBB Industries in Mexico.

The old starter that came off was a reman too. The label on it read: World Class Remanufactured 16578 Made in Japan.

Flywheel was fine, and so was the starter gear that engages the flywheel. The old starter either had bad bearings or bushings, or the gear reduction gears inside of it were grinding.

archibaldtuttle 09-02-2022 09:20 AM

any downside to the 1.4 KW option. It is going to draw more power and be more challenged by wire and connections but maybe the extra kick more than makes up for having to ride herd on those issues?

snippits 09-02-2022 12:02 PM

It's been 39 months since I installed the 1 KW version reman from Advance Auto. It has not skipped a beat. If it tears up, it will be replaced under the lifetime warranty.

I do think the 1.4 KW version is for severe cold weather. Don't need it here in my home state of NC.

JoeS 09-02-2022 12:40 PM

Bought a Denso rebuilt starter in May 2014. No issues to date. I will buy Denso, Aisan, Bosch. or OEM first when I need parts.

RAD4Runner 09-03-2022 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by archibaldtuttle (Post 52479529)
any downside to the 1.4 KW option. It is going to draw more power and be more challenged by wire and connections but maybe the extra kick more than makes up for having to ride herd on those issues?

The 1.0KW OEM has been discontinued. in 2014 I replaced mine with "Starter Motor - Toyota (28100-35060-84)", and it was plug and play. No issues at all. Existing wiring will handle it.

Blueman 09-04-2022 11:13 AM

My Midwest-sold truck comes up on the VIN as calling out the beefier starter as well as a better exhaust option. The latter is no longer available, but I didn't hesitate when I need to change starters to stick with the higher-power option. It cost slightly more at the time, but I think it's a solid investment as I've never thought, "Darn, this starter spins too fast!"