Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

SR5 gauge swap into 22RE AUTO feesable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SR5 gauge swap into 22RE AUTO feesable?

I've been doing some research about the SR5 gauge cluster swap, and I've come up with some questions. I have an automatic, how does that affect the swap? I have an AT oil temp idiot light that obviously won't transfer to a 5-speed cluster. I know there are V6 auto SR5 clusters, would it be easier to use one of those and modify the tach to work with a 4-cylinder?

This is a more general question: I know the oil pressure sending unit needs to be replaced for this swap to work, but aside from that, most reports say it's plug-in-play. Is this always the case, or could I end up plugging in the new cluster and having no gauges? How often does this occur?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 22re auto as well. I did the swap and everything worked with the exception. I haven't bought my oil sending unit. And haven't ran my wire to the tach yet (my truck wasn't pre wired...go figure) but it was REALLY simple. Took all of 15 minutes.

It looks a lot better and if I had time I'd finish the rest but hunting seasons have kicked off. Goose and dove started yesterday. Bow season for deer is next Saturday and teal kicks off Saturday. Its go time for me so getting things done is non existant lol.

Just do it. You will love it. Garuntee.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:41 AM

BigSwole, did you use a V6 cluster or a 22RE cluster? And thanks for the reply!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:07 AM

i think all the guage clusters are the same. When I look at mine, you can see where the AT temp light is, it just wasnt wired in.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Squeebs
i think all the guage clusters are the same. When I look at mine, you can see where the AT temp light is, it just wasnt wired in.
Just thought of something else, do all SR5 clusters have the ECT lights? That's another auto specific item missing from a 5-speed cluster.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume this is going into an 89' 4Runner. You CANNOT use a V6 cluster, your RPM's will be inaccurate. I do believe that the 22RE 5speed SR5 cluster will work though. I do believe that all the 22RE's were pre-wired for the oil pressure sending unit.

If you want, next time I go to the junk yard I can hunt for an auto SR5 cluster w/tach for you.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
I assume this is going into an 89' 4Runner. You CANNOT use a V6 cluster, your RPM's will be inaccurate. I do believe that the 22RE 5speed SR5 cluster will work though. I do believe that all the 22RE's were pre-wired for the oil pressure sending unit.

If you want, next time I go to the junk yard I can hunt for an auto SR5 cluster w/tach for you.
I thought there was a way to readjust a V6 tach to work with a 4-cylinder, yes? I am concerned about losing the AT oil light and the ECT lights. I could probably make to without them, but I don't like compromising if I don't have to.

I didn't think the SR5 trim was even sold with a 22RE auto. If you can dig up such a cluster, that'd be great! PM me.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zelephant
I thought there was a way to readjust a V6 tach to work with a 4-cylinder, yes? I am concerned about losing the AT oil light and the ECT lights. I could probably make to without them, but I don't like compromising if I don't have to.

I didn't think the SR5 trim was even sold with a 22RE auto. If you can dig up such a cluster, that'd be great! PM me.
You can modify it, something about changing a resistor.

You would loose the AT oil light and ECT lights, that is the bad part.

I know that the SR5 trim was sold with the 22RE but im not sure if you could get it with the auto (although I don't see why not?? ) I wanna say that Brandon (XXXtreme) has an SR5 auto cluster in his 87'

I hunt the junkyards near me almost every weekend, i'll keep my eyes peeled.

-Brian
Old 09-16-2011, 09:17 PM

Try Yoda Jim in Denver. They might know. The site is www.jimsgotparts.com #is 303-506-5119 They know there stuff. If you find out post. I got a 86 pickup with auto SR5 cluster would be sweet swap. As for tach using v6 tach should be fine. I have a aftermarket one in mine I got from a guy who had it in a jeep j-20 with a 360penalty v8. Just wiring it right is key
Old 09-17-2011, 03:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had an 89 4Runner,Dlx model 22re 5spd. I swapped in a SR5 V6 cluster, it was all plug and play. All I had to do was put in a oil pressure sender, this uses the same wire and connector that my oil pressure switch used. The oil pressure switch is a male spade connector and requires a female spade to connect to it. The oil pressure sender has a round protruding connection that requires a special connector, however the factory female spade connector that connected to the old oil pressure switch in my harness was made to connect to oil pressure sender also, so examine yours carefully before you panic!
As far as the tach I wasn't so much concerned as to it's accuracy as I was about getting working gauges instead of idiot lights. I was probably out some but not a lot, but the V6 cluster that I have does have a variable resistor built into it to adjust the tach, my 4 Cyl cluster does not have this.
I'm pretty sure that the transmission oil temp and ECT lights are in the cluster beside the gauges, I'm rebuilding my truck and I've got my clusters packed away in the attic above my garage and my winter beater that I'm working on is in the way, so I can't verify that right now...maybe some other Yotatech member can verify that for you!

Last edited by Hadmatt54; 09-17-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

I have an auto SR5 cluster in my 5 speed truck, I had to swap 3 wires to get everything working right. The 5 speed clusters do not have the ECT lights, if you go to my build page you can see the cluster, so they do exsist. And XXXtreme also has an auto SR5 cluster in his truck.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 AM

James Woods:
What year cluster is that auto one of yours? It doesn't have a volt gauge. I'm wondering if all the 1st generation Sr5 autos were missing the volt gauge? I can't verify if my v6 cluster came out of an auto or manual, it has all four gauges, but I never thought to check the vin tag on the truck that I got it out of at the junk yard. I was sure it had empty spaces for ECT and trans temp that take the tiny (Tsd 74) bulb. The spaces that I'm thinking about are outside the gauges down along each side where the brake light, charge lights, check engine and 4x4 lights are located.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Mine is out of an 88, as far as I know all first gen runners and second gen SR5 pickups did not have the volt gauge if they were auto as the ECT light takes up that space, XXXtreme's cluster is the same way. My wifes 94 runner cluster has the volt gauge with the small ECT bulb that you describe but mine is a LED light.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:31 AM

I've got to get at my stuff in the attic...this will drive me nuts thinking about it!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 10:40 AM

Thanks to everyone who weighed in! I wasn't aware that the auto lights replace the voltmeter, but that's not a big issue. I can always run an aftermarket volt gauge, but the ECT lights are kinda irreplaceable. I'm keeping my eyes open for one of these locally, but if I continue to come up dry I'll try Yoda Jim's or Nix99.

EDIT: Have one more question: I've heard rumors that my old odometer can be transplanted into the new cluster. Is this possible, and if so, writeup?

Last edited by Zelephant; 09-17-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:43 PM

Zelephant,

Digging through my parts department (living room) today, I found that I had not 1 but 2 automatic gauge clusters. I'm not sure if they are out of a V6 or 4cyl.

Let me know if you're interested in either or both.

Shoot me a PM
Old 09-18-2011, 02:28 PM

While I was running my tach wire today I looked at all of my lights and I'm not one hundred percent sure but could they all be the same? I have a rear anti lock and a rear door and a cruise light that I don't use but they still have working bulbs in them.

The power comes from the harness and if you need that specific bulb your harness will give a signal to the correct pin out which will use that bulb.

And btw when you do get it if your truck isn't
prewired for it go to my thread titled Sr5 tach wire and it'll tell you what I did to get it to work. I just held the wire on the number 7 location and stuck the harness clip into it to hold it there until I can get to my parts truck and grab a pin from the old harness
Old 12-16-2015, 10:39 PM

Thx for the help

Hello I'm trying to rebuild my 1986 Toyota pickup. It is a four speed manual transmission with a 22r motor. I have the original cluster for a four cylinder motor. But I'm curious as if I can modify the SR 5 cluster from a six cylinder to a four cylinder. Can I get help